cars do not drive

We need more details that the one line you have posted here.

Are the cars you are trying to move items selected from the Objects tab in Surveyor? If so then they are static items, like buildings. They will not move. These cars are intended to be parked only.

There are cars that are built into Trainz that will move along roads and you do not have to add them manually. In Surveyor select Edit Route from the Main Menu and make sure that you have entered a Region. Then select Edit Environment then click the Location tab (World icon) and enable road traffic. Be aware that not all road splines are "traffic enabled" and capable of carrying moving vehicles. You will also discover places where you have not correctly joined the road spline segments if you notice that the moving vehicles suddenly appear and disappear at points along the roads. This will also occur where a traffic capable road spline is joined to one that is not traffic capable.

It is possible to create road traffic running on invisible tracks (usually laid along visible roads for realism) using static cars that have been converted to locomotives - but this is one of the "black arts" possessed by a few Trainz creators.

Pick a region that supports cars. To figure that you, you could consider editing routes that have cars already driving on them.
Next, make sure you pick roads that are technically roads (so do support cars). That might be a bit harder to figure out at the start, but you safely take the "YARN" roads.

This sucks, I thought we could do this our self's and make them drive where ever we wanted. Does any one know if that is even possible. Can some one make new content that would add this to Trainz 12. or does this only mean it's for the Ipod mac and only works on PC desktops.

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to drive a car along a road like you can drive a train along tracks? This issue has been raised before and the simple answer, which you will not like, is that the program is called "Trainz" not "Carz".

It is possible to convert a static object to a train vehicle and place it onto tracks, visible or invisible, and drive it manually. This has been done, sometimes for amusement - for example a cow on wheels, but more often for practical reasons - examples include boats moving around a harbour, aircraft taxing and flying and even a human shunter who moves around a yard to throw switches.

It would be possible to create a track spline that looks just like a road and make track signals that look and work like traffic lights but I suspect that few, if any, Trainz creators would be interested in doing this because their main interest in this simulator is trains. You could always do this yourself if no-one else is interested.

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to drive a car along a road like you can drive a train along tracks? This issue has been raised before and the simple answer, which you will not like, is that the program is called "Trainz" not "Carz".

It is possible to convert a static object to a train vehicle and place it onto tracks, visible or invisible, and drive it manually. This has been done, sometimes for amusement - for example a cow on wheels, but more often for practical reasons - examples include boats moving around a harbour, aircraft taxing and flying and even a human shunter who moves around a yard to throw switches.

It would be possible to create a track spline that looks just like a road and make track signals that look and work like traffic lights but I suspect that few, if any, Trainz creators would be interested in doing this because their main interest in this simulator is trains. You could always do this yourself if no-one else is interested.

Someone did make "track/roads" awhile ago and a bunch of creators at the time made some drivable carz. There as a thread about this in the old forums which went on for pages. There was even thoughts of using invisible speed limits to have traffic at various speeds in different lanes.

It got better because this lead to the development of silent engines and track sounds because it was weird that carz sounded like trains and made track clunking sounds as they crossed junctions along with silent and invisible junction levers. I think it was during the latter days of TRS2004 when this occurred. The fun old times. :)

John

Ah, No. I don't mean that we (The Player) can drive cars and so on.

Ah, No. That's not what I mean. I wanted the option to setup cars just driving around. Where it looks busy, or even cars and trucks driving down a dirt road. pulling in to a drive and parking. or a truck that can pull into a factory and back up to a dock.

No. I don't mean that WE CAN Drive them. I mean when I go down a track. It would be nice to see some kind of roads that work. People going to work. a fire truck going down the street to a fire. The police pull some one over. Get the idea. This can be setup by the player. It add more realizm to the game. Just driving a train around can and will get boring after a while.

Someone did make "track/roads" awhile ago and a bunch of creators at the time made some drivable carz. There as a thread about this in the old forums which went on for pages. There was even thoughts of using invisible speed limits to have traffic at various speeds in different lanes.

It got better because this lead to the development of silent engines and track sounds because it was weird that carz sounded like trains and made track clunking sounds as they crossed junctions along with silent and invisible junction levers. I think it was during the latter days of TRS2004 when this occurred. The fun old times. :)

John

Hi! John and thanks Do you know what the name of that track/roads. was this a add on or some kind of content. I just think this would be some thing nice to add to the game.

Ah, No. That's not what I mean. I wanted the option to setup cars just driving around. Where it looks busy, or even cars and trucks driving down a dirt road. pulling in to a drive and parking. or a truck that can pull into a factory and back up to a dock.

No. I don't mean that WE CAN Drive them. I mean when I go down a track. It would be nice to see some kind of roads that work. People going to work. a fire truck going down the street to a fire. The police pull some one over. Get the idea. This can be setup by the player. It add more realizm to the game. Just driving a train around can and will get boring after a while.

This can be done too, to a certain extent. Backing in and out of parking spaces would be done using an invisible path and some tricks...

When creating a new route, there is no traffic in the default region. To have traffic, you need to change the region to something such as USA or whatever it's called. Dave Snow put up a nice USA region on the DLS. It's really tiny - like 300K if that in size. This region has ambulances, fire trucks, various cars, UPS trucks and so on.

To adjust an already created route, you edit the session and environment on built-in routes and edit the session information on your own routes. This is located under the Main menu.

John

Thanks for this info. i already did click the location tab (world icon) and enable road traffic. i must figure out that region thing. so ik have to surch for roads that automatically let cars drive instaid of placing them on the road. in other posts i've heard that Yarn roads are such roads.

anyway thanks you for this reply.

Can't find it

This can be done too, to a certain extent. Backing in and out of parking spaces would be done using an invisible path and some tricks...

When creating a new route, there is no traffic in the default region. To have traffic, you need to change the region to something such as USA or whatever it's called. Dave Snow put up a nice USA region on the DLS. It's really tiny - like 300K if that in size. This region has ambulances, fire trucks, various cars, UPS trucks and so on.

To adjust an already created route, you edit the session and environment on built-in routes and edit the session information on your own routes. This is located under the Main menu.

John

John. I don't seem to be able to find it. I tried roads/track and track/roads. I get a lot of results. Nothing like what you said there would be. Do you have a name of who made it. Or even a full name for this. Is this content related or some thing else.

John. I don't seem to be able to find it. I tried roads/track and track/roads. I get a lot of results. Nothing like what you said there would be. Do you have a name of who made it. Or even a full name for this. Is this content related or some thing else.

If you mean the region selection, that is found in Main Menu --> Edit Route. :)

Kieran.

If you mean the region selection, that is found in Main Menu --> Edit Route. :)

Kieran.

Thanks, But no. John was saying some thing about a track/roads something and I got the idea is was some kind of content. Or some thing that I would add. He says it was for TS2004, It should still work for TS2012.

There are many, many vehicles which are drivable.

Search on the DLS for drivable under the category vehicles. These will 'drive' on invisible track splines which you place either on top of a road, or even on a road-colored patch or spline placed directly on the baseboard.

Last edited:
Back