Cannot get Trainz2004 to open

pflood

I had never been able to get Trainz to run on my previous computer running Windows XP. I cannot remember the error message on launch. I have had a completely different system for about a year now and just tried to install.
On opening Trainz, the error message is "Fatal error, Cause: Hardware, Reason: Breakpoint. Call Station Trainz\bin\kernel standard.dll.

I had made sure that no antivirus, spyware, or other unecessary programs were running on both the install and the attempted run.

My computer specs are as follows: Processor:2.33 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo.
Board is
Intel Corporation DQ35JO AAD82085-701
Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
BIOS is: Intel Corp. JOQ3510J.86A.0559.2007.0726.0425
Memory: 2GB. Hard Drive space available:275GB (500GB drive)
Operating System: WindowsXP, svs. pk. 2
Display card:
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

Display card:NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

BINGO!! That's your problem. The Trainz 2004 Executables won't communicate with the nVidia GeForce hardware unless they are placed in Windows98/WindowsME compatibility mode. Do this for all of the executable files in the Trainz installation directories. Why? I can only assume that the executable files were replaced with newer ones with the update patches.

something else to try

have had similar problem with trainz. have found that there is a compatibility issue with divx player version 6 or higher. uninstalled divx and trainz launches with no problem. went to oldversion.com and downloaded highest version 5 of divx i could find. now trainz and all my divx content work.

have had similar problem with trainz. have found that there is a compatibility issue with divx player version 6 or higher. uninstalled divx and trainz launches with no problem. went to oldversion.com and downloaded highest version 5 of divx i could find. now trainz and all my divx content work.

You could also disable the opening splash movie which causes the error.

BINGO!! That's your problem. The Trainz 2004 Executables won't communicate with the nVidia GeForce hardware unless they are placed in Windows98/WindowsME compatibility mode. ...
Interesting theory but I've got TRS2004 build 2365 working with a smooth video display on a GeForce 8800 GT using driver version 6.14.11.6726. Never had any compatibility issues. Always running in native XP SP2. Currently on a Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66 GHz with 2GB of RAM.

Back