Can someone tell me why this engine won't couple?

thegrindre

narrow gauge fanatic
I can't get this engine to couple to that small bobber up ahead next to the goods shed when giving it driver commands. I've tried everything but the right thing so I'm asking for help.

1. I have tried laying the track in both directions...
2. I have put in extra spline points...
3. I've lengthened and shortened the side track...
4. I've placed a directional marker and it won't move to it either...

But, it will move to that goods shed and everywhere else but not to the caboose. All it does is sit there and throw that switch over and over and over again and again and again...

What am I doing wrong???

stalledbi4.jpg

Rick

Last edited:
Have you tryed signals? Or the "Couplez To" Rule? Check the track for spline points that are not connected.

Sorry i can't help you i drive my trains. :)

There are no broken spline points, believe me, I've laid those sections of track a million times in all configurations and It still won't couple on that siding. I've even moved the siding in 3 other places. It has to do with the siding configuration some how.

I need a track layer to help with this dilemma.

Last edited:
use a end of track bumper that is in a signal configuration example

end of track sign note that theyre is a sign version and a signal version which look the same or any other type of bumper that is...
the standard auran end of tracks are also ok to use...
I usually use ttr end of track 2 rusty bumpers for USA

might also as a last resort put a 03 signal b4 the point switch this will allow you to stop and proceed through a red....

I am using a working bumper. It's right next to the goods shed. (Other side of caboose.) I've tried moving it around also, btw.

Any other suggestions???

Thanks so far...;)

Drive it yourself. That is my only answer and the only one I'll stick too. I gave up on the driver couple since it was always a pain. Plus it is a shay. I drove a shay in driver the first day I got Trainz with no problems.

That is strange should couple besides drive yourself maybe change the engine files from a different loco that works?

I think the loco is looking for a way to get around the caboose to use the rear coupler. Put a trackmark before the caboose and use the command Couple at Trackmark.
Norm

Here's what I'd be trying, in no particular order and with no guarantee of success.....

Are the loco and the caboose facing in the same direction - ie are the red/green arrows at the same ends? If not rotate the caboose.

Is the end-of-track marker behind the bobber facing in the right direction - easily spotted if it is a bumper, harder if it is a sign.

The screenie angle is probably fore-shortened, but from the track layout it looks like there might be a track spline point fairly close to the caboose. Coupling over a splinepoint is going to be problematical, so make sure there is enough track between the caboose and the spline point to EASILY clear the loco.

How close is the junction splinepoint to the turntable - at least three grid squares is better than two.

Does that straight track in front of the goods shed have at least two spline points between the junctions?

Post back - there are plenty more suggestions where those came from...

Andy :)

The track is to short

Under AI the loco will only go with in 20m of end of track. Also loco will only stop about 30m from a junction point under AI. It is a tranz thing.

Back