Cab Mode Tips

Hi Jimmy --

In the sessions that I've uploaded to the Download Station, I always encourage the use of Cab Mode, and this is an extract from the readme that comes with those sessions:

As experienced Engineers can I assume that we will all be using Cab Mode for this session? Correct? Use the Cab Mode, outside view (press the 2-key).

For both diesel and steam locomotives, pressing the A-key applies the train brakes. Press it multiple times for a full application; pressing Z (the lap position) followed by A will give an immediate full brake application. Q releases the train brake. E is the locomotive brake (also known as the independent brake because it works independently of the rest of the train) toggle. Press it once and the locomotive brakes apply; press again and they release. The locomotive brakes apply and release faster than the train brake, but only operate on the locomotive (at least in real life; the simulation seems to work a little differently). Watch the brake cylinder pressure in the Head Up Display. This gives an indication of the braking force being applied.

When coupling onto a rake of freight or passenger cars, make a full brake application and release to check that all the air hoses are connected

For diesel locomotives, to select forward press the F-key; the R-key is reverse; and note that forward or reverse can only be selected at idle. To notch up press W, notch down is X and idle speed is S.

In diesel locomotives the C-key toggles the dynamic brake. The dynamic brake reconfigures the traction motors as generators to generate electricity which is dissipated as heat in a grid of resistors, thus slowing down the locomotive. The resistors are cooled by one or two fans. To activate the dynamic brake, return the locomotive to idle (press S), select dynamic brake (press C), check that the dynamic brake is engaged (look for the red indication in the Head Up Display) and control the braking force by notching up or down. To disengage the dynamic brake, return to idle and press C.

In real life the dynamic brake saves wear, tear and overheating of the air brake system and provides a retarding force approximately equal to the drawbar pull of the locomotive. On a real locomotive a pause of several seconds after returning to idle is mandated before the dynamic brake can be engaged or disengaged. The dynamic brake only provides braking between certain speeds. At high speed it is inoperable and the braking force declines to zero at slow speeds. To avoid wheel slide on the locomotive, dynamic and air brakes are not used simultaneously.

Driving a steam locomotive in Cab Mode is a challenge and you will be spending much more time reacting to gauges and adjusting the controls than looking at the scenery.

The most important features of steam locomotive driving are:
1. The correct use of regulator and reverser.
2. Maintaining the water level in the boiler.
3. Maintaining boiler pressure.

1. Regulator and reverser:

The settings of regulator and reverser are shown in the Head Up Display.

The position of the regulator and reverser can also be seen in the cab internal view (press the 1-key), though I do suggest actually driving the locomotive using the external view (2-key).

Drive with the regulator fully open. Control the speed with the reverser.

The reason for this is simple - the locomotive will work most efficiently if the full boiler pressure is being applied to the pistons in the cylinders. The regulator strangles the flow of steam, so at less than the fully open position of the regulator less than full pressure is applied to the pistons.

The reverser controls the cut-off, which is a measure of the duration of the steam admission to the cylinders. In full forward gear (something like 70 to 80% cut-off in most steam locomotives), steam is admitted to the cylinders for most of the stroke of the piston. At 10% cut-off steam is admitted for only 10% of the stroke, reducing the power significantly but maintaining high efficiency.

To start the locomotive, select full forward gear (press the F-key, multiple times if necessary). release the brakes (Q-key) and progressively open the regulator (W-key). Once underway open the regulator fully (W-key, multiple times) and reduce the cut-off (R-key, multiple times if necessary) to maintain an appropriate speed.

Negative cut-off equals reverse, so when moving forward keep the cut-off positive.

If speed falls when ascending a bank or when accelerating from a signal check, the cut-off might need increasing. Press the F-key.

The S-key (press multiple times) closes the regulator.

To reverse, press the R-key multiple times.

2. Maintaining the water level in the boiler:

The quantity of water in the boiler is shown in the Head Up Display and also in the water gauge in the cab.

The boiler converts water into steam. As the steam is consumed by the cylinders the water level falls.

Additional water is pumped into the boiler by injectors, which are controlled by the I-key and the O-key. The I-key turns the injectors on; the O-key turns them off. There are several positions for the injectors. Press the I-key multiple times for the maximum setting. Press the O-key multiple times to turn them off.

The position of the injectors can be seen in the internal cab view. Press the I and O-keys while scanning the cab ([ , ] and arrow keys). See which levers, taps or knobs move.

Try to maintain the water level at about 70%. Avoid 100% which causes water to carry over into the cylinders, destroying them, or less than about 50% which can cause the top of the firebox to be above the water level and melt, with potentially disastrous consequences if the fusible plugs fail to dampen the fire.

3. Maintaining boiler pressure.

The boiler pressure is shown in the Head Up Display and also on a gauge in the cab.

Burning coal heats the water to produce steam. As the steam is consumed or water injected into the boiler the boiler pressure falls.

Add coal to the fire by pressing the Space Bar (the fire door is animated in the internal view) to increase boiler pressure. The best firing technique is to add coal a little often.

The maximum boiler pressure depends on the particular class of locomotive. It might be shown on the pressure gauge inside the cab; otherwise note the boiler pressure when the session begins. Exceeding the maximum boiler pressure causes the safety valves to pop, wasting steam, water and coal.

The draft effect from the exhaust steam as it passes up the blast pipe to the chimney makes the fire burn bright, generating more heat. The blast is most intense at speed with full regulator and at full cut-off. When stationary or when moving at slow speeds it may be necessary to use the blower to create the desired blast to keep the fire burning brightly.

Use the N-key to open the blower and Shift-N to turn it off. Again, there is an animation inside the cab.

In real life, steam locomotives would travel considerable distances without re-coaling but many "stops for locomotive purposes" were needed to refill the tender with water.

Right click on the tender to view the remaining coal and water.

As is said in a thread elsewhere, Cab Node is for Real Men, not for wimps !~!

Phil

Thanks alot Phil. Today I got around to practicing with cab mode, I'm great with steam but my diesil skills need alot of work. As of now I'm playing around with the UP 0-6-0 you gave the links for (your a lifesaver!!)

By way of a slight variation I've learned to use the numeric keypad keys. It's not better or worse I'm just more used to it now and all controls (especially steam controls) are essentially located under my right hand.

/ = reverse (or increments of reverse in steam)
* = forward (or increments of forward in steam)
- = sand
8 = open throttle (each tap is an increment)
5 = throttle to 0 immediately (diesel/electric only)
2 = close throttle (each tap is an increment down)
9 = release automatic brake
6 = lap automatic brake
3 = apply automatic brake (in 5lb increments if using 26l and later brake valves)
4 = independent brake (engine only brake). This is a toggle switch. One tap puts it on full, one tap releases it. The only way to get incremental application and release is with the mouse using the lever inside the cab.
1 = opens and shuts the firebox door
0 = independent release of the locomotive brakes or what the Yanks call "bail"
+ = horn or whistle
7 = toggles between power and dynamic brake on diesels so equipped
[ and ] = change camera
i = injector on (can be done incrementally by the number of key taps or by holding it for several seconds)
o = injector off (can be done incrementally by the number of key taps or by holding it for several seconds)
n = blower on (can be done incrementally by the number of key taps or by holding it for several seconds)
shift/n =n blower off (can be done incrementally by the number of key taps or by holding it for several seconds)
spacebar = shovelful of coal (automatically opens the firebox door but doesn't close it. Use 1 for that)

It looks horribly confusing at first but if you work through it using the numeric keypad you will see patterns and logic in how they are laid out. As I mentioned above my right hand is over the numeric keypad, my left hand works the mouse (I'm not left handed I'm just more used to left hand mouse operation)

Cab Mode gives you much finer control over the locomotive and gives much more realistic physics.

It is also possible to be outside the cab and still operate these controls effectively. 1 = in cab, 2 = external. Very useful when shunting backwards and forwards; you can ride on the rearmost vehicle and still drive the loco well.

Most diesels (except the "carbody" type, F7s and PA1s) give you such a good view from the cab in both directions that you can run a session from the cab entirely and not go outside. To change points hold ctrl and left mouse click the points. They should change.

I haven't worked out how to uncouple from in the cab and I suspect it cannot be done. Even if it did work you could only really uncouple the vehicle on the loco at either end.

If you've never tried Cab Mode before choose a simple session of just driving a short train from A to B and do it from the cab. A short passenger train is a good choice coz you can stop at station platforms and practice your stopping. Stopping at a platform looks very different from in the cab than from a general external overview!

As you get used to Cab Mode try doing some shunting in external view and positioned on one of the wagons you're shunting around.

The other thing it's quite fun to do in Cab Mode is to only use the mouse and drive the loco by moving the various levers. That's how we used to do it in real life! (But not with a mouse)

Good luck! :hehe:

Cheers

Nix

Last edited:
When driving a steam loco don't pound the spacebar too enthusiastically to fuel the fire,
one tap on the bar = one charge of coal, this will burn for about 2 mins.
after it burns down give another tap.
2 taps will NOT last twice as long.
tapping the spacebar twice just wastes coal because the second tap overrides the first one.

also
with some of the latest locos as soon as you get the pressure up to the safety valve setting the water level in the boiler goes down like there's a hole in it so keep the pressure below max .

cheers
Roy

Back