Bulk object change to specific layer?

As a rookie mistake I have been editing my route in Sessions versus Route. Also, I thought the layer defaulted to the last used - not true. I now have many objects on a Sessions layer that I would like to move to a respective Route layer. For example Is there a way to select all trees and move them to a Route layer I have set up?

Some options:

1. You can merge the entire session layer with the route layer - this will move everything in the selected session layer to the selected route layer, including those objects that you want to keep in the session layer - see https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Layers#Merging_Layers
  2. You can use the Bulk Asset Update/replace tool to move multiple types of objects from the session layer to the route layer, but this does not work on all types of assets (splines and track objects for example) - see https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Bulk_Asset_Update/Replace_Tool
  3. You can move individual assets (one at a time) by opening their properties window and changing their layer property - this is often the only option for those assets that the Bulk Asset Update/Replace tool will not move.

My suggestions.

Thanks for your suggestions. It would also be good if Trainz had a layer indicator visible in the window so you could see what layer you are on with just a glance at the top of the screen, much like ACAD does. Perhaps I will suggest that.

Thanks for your suggestions. It would also be good if Trainz had a layer indicator visible in the window so you could see what layer you are on with just a glance at the top of the screen, much like ACAD does. Perhaps I will suggest that.
As development of TRS19 has ceased, layer labels would be more likely found in TRS22 Surveyor 2.0, which is currently available only in Trainz Plus and Gold subscriptions

It has been the subject and a suggestion in many threads in these forums and I am also very frequently caught out by "layer amnesia" when adding assets. As grazlash points out above, there is an onscreen layer indicator in S20 (currently available to subscription members only). This is not in the top window but in the info panel/palette for the selected object. None of my software apps shows the name of the active layer in the top menu bar, they all display that information in a layer (or similar) panel/palette.

My solution to this problem is to ALWAYS lock every layer that you are not currently working in. If you do switch to another layer to, for example, temporarily hide it and then attempt to add a scenery asset while that layer is selected then you will get a nasty warning message. Yes, it does mean spending time constantly locking and unlocking layers but cases of misplaced assets are greatly reduced as is the time wasted in moving assets back into their correct layers.

I also have a similar "wrong layer" failure rate in apps that do prominently display the name of the current or active layer, so that is not going to be a perfect solution.

Another handy trick is to periodically hide any layers you have been working with to see if all the assets that you believe you added to them disappear from the screen. Any that don't have escaped your "due diligence".

Back