Best Freeware video for Trainz

OBS is a little complicated, some output settings to pay attention to to get the file type you want (defaults to other than MP4).
Then you have to configure your inputs, i.e. add your Display and sound.

It's very cool, and records locally, which is great.

There's one called Techsmith / Jing / Snagit:

It has some neat tools for selecting the screen area you want to record.
The downside with this and many screen recorders is they upload to the cloud.
Then you have to go find your video and download it to work with it locally.

So, if you want local files just use OBS.

And honorable mention goes to the Windows Game Bar (windows key + G). If you're in Windows that might be the easiest.

Personally, I use Nvidia's Shadowplay, since I have an Nvidia GPU (RTX 3060), this works well for me.
Simple controls for recording (Alt-F9), Simple for accessing/managing your recordings, (Ctrl-Alt-Z)

You can record in several different resolutions, 360p up to 8K, with various bitrates, depending on your installed GPU's capabilities.

Overlay GUI is simple, uncluttered and all features settings readily accessible. OBS is much better for customization of your recordings, Nvidia keeps things simple and direct.

image.png

If you have an RTX GPU, then the Ansel Game Filters become available. Unfortunately Nvidia (as usual) does not support these filters in Trainz. 😖

IvRItb6.png
geforce-experience-3-12-nvidia-freestyle-ui-ark-survival-evolved.jpg

Last edited:
WSR --

OBS is excellent and free, but I've never found the interface intuitive. If you do use it I'd suggest setting a hot key for recording because there is no on screen indication whether you are recording or not. I use the Scroll Lock as the recording button, then there is an indication on the keyboard.

The other one to consider is Bandicam. Its excellent but payware.

I now record and upload to youtube at 1440p. The appearance is significantly better than 1080p.

For editing and compressing the recorded file, one suggestion is Shotcut. It's fully-featured freeware and easy to use

I used OBS and Shotcut to make this video. If you switch between 1080 and 1440 you will notice the difference in quality.

Phil

Back