Before all the new grass etc. came out

TORANA

Aprilia Racing Fan
Hi all,

Just wondering after all this great stuff has come out,
i was flat out finishing my layout then, let alone now. (3yrs in the making)

Q: Are we now able to have an acceptable layout if it doesn't have relevant grass & weed supply to make it look as good?
because it will probably take another 3ys to do that.

This space for edit tomorrow,screen example. time flys....

Any thoughts are welcome.

Torana :)

A route/layout like any other bit of content is ready when you are happy with it. It's an impossible task to have every new feature and benefit included as this community is just too creative and there will always be something new that has just arrived or is just about to.

Things like grass look really cool in screenshots and in some situations but there are bigger issues. Does the route model something other folks might be interested in (location, type of working, etc.) or does it simply provide for some interesting workings that will amuse folks? It's always the case that things made available on the DLS will be magic for some and ho hum for others.

When you are happy, ship it (IMHO).

Of course if folks really want grass they can plant it themselves or you can do an upgrade. :)

Cheers
Dave

hi Torana

Not knowing your layout, but if you have used some textures that can be identified, yu could always add

clutter-mesh <KUID:nnnnnn:nnnnn>

that will dd some grass/weeds without having to plant any

Check it out

no clutter:
noclutter.jpg

clutter:
clutter.jpg

Last edited:
Be careful with clutter-meshes: They can be a pain to get rid off, and if near tracks, will show-up over the rails or whatever they feel at a given time. Of course there is a tool to erase these, but again is a pain. However is a clever thing and some are very nice.

The method used by barn700 will only apply to the PC the route is made on, so its sorta useless if planning to upgrade the layout to the DLS.

I don't think grass in layouts is mandatory. I think its only for a specific look and feel.

Thanks everyone,

I think my problem is,
that i don't know when to stop.

I love route building & i love my layout
it's so great to immerse yourself in a project
and get it all to work after spending
so many late nights.

It started as a small route loosely based on
Bowen to Townsville in North Queensland in the 80's
the plan was to just run some coal trains from Colinsville
to Abbot Pt port & run the Sunlander.
And run the daily QR 2000 class Railmotor from Bowen to Townsville
which was being made at the time.
(still waiting for that one, I have given up on that pipe dream :sleep:)

incorporating the vast sugarcane fields in the Burdekin,
and the Townsville port.

Now it's a huge 3 guage monster that has well over 100km of 2ft track
with interactive industry including: Milk, Beef, Sugarcane, General goods,
Brickclay, Iron, Gold, Silver, Copper, & Tin ore, Corn, Barley, oats, wheat, Soy, Hay, Stockfeed, Mlog Logging, woodchips, Lumber planks & Tourist passengers.

3ft gauge Mlog logging mountain, that takes over an hour to climb at 40kmh
including a Tourist train.

Std gauge has: Coal, Brickworks, Cattle, Meatworks, Fish factory, Saltmine, Power station, General goods, Passengers & Logging. Thinking of adding some more too, seen as it's a fictional route now.

It also has a tram & trolley bus museum & horses that run on inv track,
that all come together at 3G station,(put some thought into that name :hehe:) the only point at which all 3 gauges meet.
still got to add helicopters and planes track to get a birds eye veiw,

Dam there i go again, i better get to it.

Cheers,
Torana. :)

Back