BC&G #4 returning to W.Va. for restoration/operation

wva-usa

SPENCER, N.C. – The North Carolina Transportation Museum Foundation has reached an agreement to sell Buffalo Creek & Gauley 2-8-0 No. 4, a 1926 Baldwin-built steam locomotive with deep West Virginia roots, to the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad for restoration and operation in the Mountain State.

The locomotive will be moved this spring to the shop in Cass, W.Va., at the Cass Scenic Railroad, now operated by the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley, for the completion of boiler work and other repairs. The Durbin & Greenbrier Valley hopes to complete the restoration in time for the locomotive’s 90th birthday in 2016. When completed, the locomotive will appear as it did in the early 1960s when it gained fame as one of the last steam locomotives in regular service in the United States. Because it was a saturated steam locomotive, it often showed signs of leakage on its smokebox front, thus earning it the nickname “Old Slobberface.”

4Color.jpg
Click to view more pics and info on BC&G #4.

The Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, Pa., built the locomotive for use in Mexico, but instead it was sold to the Buffalo Creek & Gauley in Clay County, W.Va. It became one of the most photographed steam locomotives in the Eastern U.S., making its last run in 1965. The locomotive was sold to the Pennsylvania-based Quakertown & Eastern excursion operation in 1967, the Southwest Virginia Scenic Railroad in Hiltons, Va., in 1972, and the non-profit support organization for the North Carolina Transportation Museum in 1978. It was restored in 1986 and lettered and numbered as a replica of Southern Railway 2-8-0 No. 604, which had been based at Spencer. The locomotive pulled the museum’s 3-mile on-site train ride for years. It last operated in November 2001 and was partially restored in the 2000s before other priorities at the museum resulted in the restoration being stopped.

"We are looking forward to returning this historic West Virginia steam locomotive to service not far from where she once operated. We are truly thankful to the North Carolina Transportation Museum Foundation for entrusting us to carry on the legacy of the Buffalo Creek and Gauley No. 4 steam locomotive,” said Durbin & Greenbrier Valley President John Smith. “We know it’s been the dream of many who have contributed to the preservation of this engine over the years to see it under a full head of steam and on the tracks again. The Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad is proud to be a part of making this happen."

Following its restoration, BC&G No. 4 will hopefully be operated on some sections of a yet to be fully developed 90-mile excursion train loop through the rugged highlands east of Elkins. The proposed Highland Adventure of Mountain & Rail would make use of the existing track of the state-owned West Virginia Central Railroad, on which the Durbin Rocket, Cheat Mountain Salamander and Tygart Flyer excursion trains now operate, and the Cass Scenic Railroad.

Track from a stretch of West Virginia Central rail bed between Spruce in Pocahontas County and Bergoo in Webster County that was rendered unusable following the 1985 flood would be recycled and used to connect Durbin in Pocahontas County to Glady, Bemis and Elkins in Randolph County to the north and Cass to the south.

With the additional track in place, it would be possible to travel by excursion train southeast from Elkins to Bemis, Glady, Durbin and Cass, and then travel west to the town site of Spruce, loop north to Cheat Bridge, High Falls and Bemis and return to Elkins. Much of the route travels through the Monongahela National Forest along Shavers Fork and the West Fork of the Greenbrier River.

20150408_112119.jpg

Above: Trains magazine reported that the tender to Buffalo Creek & Gauley 2-8-0 No. 4 arrived at the Cass Scenic Railroad on April 8th. This completes the first of four-to-five planned trips that will successfully move the 1926 Baldwin-built steam locomotive to the Cass shops for restoration.

Last edited:
Well that's a switch. A piece of heavy railroad equipment being transported on a depressed center flat truck instead of a piece of heavy road equipment being transported on a depressed center flatcar.:hehe:

Seriously - great photo and great to hear the loco will return to operation.

Ben

Well that's a switch. A piece of heavy railroad equipment being transported on a depressed center flat truck instead of a piece of heavy road equipment being transported on a depressed center flatcar.:hehe:

Seriously - great photo and great to hear the loco will return to operation.

Ben

Here's how the tender was loaded in N.C. :)

11133991_964265130257892_4181574826766815981_o.jpg

Well the tender is obviously empty and its a one way trip on and off so its not that impossible. Still catches the old eyeball though.

They going to transport the loco itself the same way?

Ben

From what I've heard, the plan is to transport BC&G No. 4 to Cass "in four or five truckloads." Doing the math, how they'll divide the locomotive into "three or four" parts, I not sure of!

Pic of the tender being rerailed at Cass. That cab on the flatcar belongs to Climax No. 9 -- it's not No. 4's cab. I believe No. 9 is still undergoing restoration at Cass.

EDIT: Yep. No. 9 is still being rebuilt. Here's some pics of her restoration.

11079108_10152975952360168_3795004913195871506_n.jpg

Last edited:
Steam locos are (sort of) designed to have the boiler separated from the frame so shipping the boiler on one truck, the frame, drivers, lead bogey, etc. on another, and cab on yet another might be within the load limit of that 30 wheel semi.

Make an interesting set of photos.

Ben

Steam locos are (sort of) designed to have the boiler separated from the frame so shipping the boiler on one truck, the frame, drivers, lead bogey, etc. on another, and cab on yet another might be within the load limit of that 30 wheel semi.

Make an interesting set of photos.

Ben

Steamlocomotive.com lists No. 4's weight as 194000 lbs, so I guess it's doable. Yes, it'll be interesting to watch the move. And it'll be great to see a rod-locomotive operating in the region again once she's under steam.

I think Cass has 10 operating steam locos now, and Durbin & Greenbrier has a Climax operating, plus an assortment of 1st-generation diesels. I visited Cass when it first opened in 1963 and it's amazing to see how far the operation has come from those early years when its equipment was largely held together with spit and baling wire. ;)

Cass.301812389.jpg

do they have plans to restore the track from Cass to Durbin or is it still unable since the 1985 flood?

The last I've heard is that they're working on restoring the Cass to Durbin line now, and that they hope to have it open sometime next year. The Cass to Durbin route is the primary route they're hoping to use BC&G No. 4 on, and they're hoping iNo. 4's restoration will be finished about the time the rail line is reopened.

May 21st, 2015 - Buffalo Creek & Gauley steam locomotive No. 4 left the North Carolina Transportation Museum at Spencer, NC, on Thursday, in a convoy of four tractor-trailers en route to the steam shops of Cass Scenic Railroad at Cass, West Virginia. No. 4’s tender arrived in Cass last month, on April 8th. BC&G No. 4's last run under steam took place in 2001.

A crane was used to hoist the locomotive's boiler, running gear, flues, cab and miscellaneous parts onto four (count 'em, four!) flat-bed trucks.

I haven't found photos of the move yet, but I expect they'll show up soon...

Yeah - I'd like to see how the loaded it up considering I think 4 flatbeds is too many.

The cab seems to have gone with the tender unless the cab on the flatcar in one of the above photos is a different cab.

Steam engines are designed so the boiler assy can be detached from the running gear so that makes loads for 2 flatbeds but what was left to put on the other 2? Rods and perhaps the pilot truck but that only accounts for 1 more flatbed and not an overly large load at that. What was the 4th flatbed for?

Inquiring minds want to know, lol.

Ben

Yeah - I'd like to see how the loaded it up considering I think 4 flatbeds is too many.

The cab seems to have gone with the tender unless the cab on the flatcar in one of the above photos is a different cab.

Steam engines are designed so the boiler assy can be detached from the running gear so that makes loads for 2 flatbeds but what was left to put on the other 2? Rods and perhaps the pilot truck but that only accounts for 1 more flatbed and not an overly large load at that. What was the 4th flatbed for?

Inquiring minds want to know, lol.

Ben

Ben,

The locomotive cab shown in the earlier pics of the tender is the cab that belongs to Climax No. 9, which is currently being rebuilt in the shop @ Cass (pic of the Climax below) which is actually the "Mountain State Railroad & Logging Historical Association's (MSRLHA) Killoran Restoration Shop." (Wow, that name's a mouth full!) No. 9's cab (and coal bunker) had been repainted by an outside firm (by Specialty Groups Inc. at their Bridgeport, WV facility) and returned to Cass just a couple of weeks prior to BC&G's No. 4's tender showing up.

The North Carolina Transportation Museum has been working on BC&G No. 4 for some time prior to it being sold to Cass. I've heard some people say the locomotive and virtually all of its appliances/fittings were in a _very_ disassembled state, plus there were numerous new materials still in their raw states waiting to be fabricated, but I've been unable to verify any of that. But if all of that talk is true, this may be at least part of the reason why so many (four) truck loads were used to transport No. 4 back to West Virginia. Dunno... I was tied up all day with other project and haven't had much chance to find out much about No. 4 other than what I posted. I'll try to dig up something soon... I expect the D&GV folks will have something online soon. :)

11154739_10153265390583373_962350888909036737_o.jpg

Last edited:
That explains the cab but 4 flatbeds still seems one to many. Photos if and when they show up will tell he tale I'm sure.

Nice looking climax.

Ben

That explains the cab but 4 flatbeds still seems one to many. Photos if and when they show up will tell he tale I'm sure.

Nice looking climax.

Ben

Climax No. 9 looks a heck of a lot better now than it did when work first began on it (pic, below) in 2001. The loco had been partially burned in the fire that destroyed the original Cass shop complex in July, 1972, and had spent nearly 30 years sitting on the dead-line at Cass. A boiler from another loco stored at Cass is being used as replacement for No. 9's original boiler. The MSR&LHA shops where the Climax is being rebuilt is a separate facility from the Cass shops, and the MSR&LHA is picking up a lot of the cost for the restoration via donations and fund raising and its volunteers are doing the majority of the work. Climax No. 9 was basically a "basket case" and the Cass shop didn't have the time or space (in the main Cass shop) to devote to a multi-year restoration project.

image022.jpg

Well, I found pics of No. 4's boiler... so far nothing else, but I expect more will turn up.

Looks like the stories about No. 4 being "in pieces" were true. This photo shows what No. 4 looked like at the Transporation Museum in 2009 (pic below), so it does look like the only part of No. 4 that was still in one piece was its tender. Her smokebox isn't shown in the pic, but I expect it's around "somewhere" along with a multitude of other parts of No. 4.

3378504662_580c5ebd9b_b.jpg
At left, No. 9 in 2009 in N.C.

11110979_10204876684660344_479209701711260798_n.jpg
Yesterday, No. 4's boiler (minus smokebox) is loaded at the N.C. Transportation Museum as N&W 611 watches in the background.

dsc_4016.jpg
Trains magazine posted this pic of No. 4's boiler after it'd been loaded. No. 4's running gear is visible in the background.

11329870_10153095764460168_6035891723017784189_n.jpg
On left, the boiler of Buffalo Creek & Gauley No. 4 has arrived in Cass following its trip from the North Carolina Transportation Museum.

Last edited:
Nice (if icky looking) photos. Looks like some of my old brass locos that were under water for 3 or 4 months (and I didn't know it). You do not want to know hat a LaBelle kit looks like after a soaking like that (mush), lol.

Apparently #4 was a lot farther disassembled then I thought so that might explain the need for 4 flatbeds.

Someday we to watch then chug down the track.

Ben

Back