Backups are a good thing except...

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
When you don't backup everything and have a crash!

It happened today. I was having some performance issues with my data drive - the one where I kept Trainz TS12 and all kinds of Data on including documents such as important LTD papers, pictures, etc. I was doing backups but of the more important stuff - my Trainz install. Well, I lost all my other "less important" data to the bit bucket.

The good news is Trainz is intact along with my recent work. The bad news everything else is gone.

Not as big a deal as when I had a crash 4 years ago, but a big one nonetheless.

Reminder to everyone, including myself. When you backup stuff, backup everything periodically. :confused:

John

Oh....sad to hear that :(

Reminder to everyone, including myself. When you backup stuff, backup everything periodically.

will do that immediately!!! Thanks for reminding, i forgot it in the last weeks :eek:

When you don't backup everything and have a crash!...

The good news is Trainz is intact along with my recent work. The bad news everything else is gone.

There is virtually no excuse for this nowadays. You can buy modestly priced external drive that are bundled with software that monitors and automatically backs up your files continuously as they change.

There is virtually no excuse for this nowadays. You can buy modestly priced external drive that are bundled with software that monitors and automatically backs up your files continuously as they change.

No kidding! I had a brain fart and neglected to check that my other data was there. I have my backups on a 3TB GoFlex drive from Seagate. Right now my Trainz data is being copied back to my system from there using Fast Copy 2.11. I have another 200GB to go, or about 2 hours of copying.

There was no excuse except for me being an idiot. Of all people, me especially, not to backup stuff up. This was my job for over 15 years in MIS, computer room operations, and as a network and system admin. I guess I've gotten a bit rusty since I've retired last year.

Shame on me!

John

Back