Arkansas & Missouri using ACes instead of ALCos! this isn't happening...!

sawyer811

MKT Forever and always
The Arkansas and Missouri: the short line that hooked me on ALCos for life. That Pentrex VHS tape, rented so many times from my local library (and finally added to my collection years later) was known to me so well that I knew the lines for the narrator forwards and backwards. To me, no railroad symbolizes modern ALCo railroading more than the A&M, the line that draws folks to the Ozarks for a view of, "Maroon, and a Touch of Blue and Yellow."

Imagine my surprise, and horror, then, when I saw this on RRPictures.net:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/452666

SD70ACes, Nose/Cab bell and all. What's worse (for me anyway) is the cheering over the new units below in the comments. Those Maroon ALCo's taught me that it's ok to love steam and ALCOs too, that they weren't diesels at all. They taught me that they were honorary steam locos...and now, in my gut I fear they're going to the torch. I'd wanted to go south to ride behind them to the summit, down into Van Buren, across the lift bridge to Fort Smith. I wanted to see the shops at springdale...now I can never do that, not in the same way.

I rode the excursion from Van Buren to Winslow the last weekend of August. Hopefully they will keep a few of the C420's around at least to power the excursions. I hate to see them go from a railfan point of view. But they say two SD70ACe's can replace 7 Alcos on the Ft Smith turn so I guess economics finally caught up with the A&M.

Its old news, the announcement came out in July. I made the pilgrimage myself one week before the end. Bittersweet to say the least, but sure glad I got them before the end. There were atleast 10 people chasing both days, almost like a steam excursion.
A sight never to be seen again :(
http://youtu.be/yV7VRcAEYys

I hope you know that A&M has no plans to scrap any of the ALCos (as far as I'm aware), and they still intend on using some of them for switching jobs as well shorter local trains.

*sighs a huge sigh of relief*
Wil, I really hope to heaven that you're right (I don't doubt you are, you certainly have shown you're read into these things in the past). Look, the reason I feel this way is, as many times as I watched that old Pentrex tape, I began to think of that short line railroad as a family member...I certainly knew it better than some of my family members, and still do. That Video and those alcos are a fondly remembered part of my youth...for me hearing the that SD70ACes were on the trains now was like losing an old, dearly loved best friend. I don't care if that sounds mushy, because that's the truth.

From all of the magazine snippets and webpages I have read, none have mentioned any scrapping of the ALCos. I think the A&M is aware of their historical value (or else they wouldn't have kept them around so long!).

All the ones in service will probably be kept that way for the time being, the T-6's, M420W's, and the out of service C420's have a bleak future though, I'm sure some of the in service ones will be for sale sooner or later since I don't know what they could do with that many C420's with the ACe's on the property. In either case the days of C420's burning up the rails at 49 mph is a thing of the past.

there was this rumor I heard going around, hmmmmmh what was it??? OH! yeah! it was railroads are not here for our entertainment.
they don't give a rats rear end what a bunch of foamers think.
want to see big modern ALCo's, type in Google/ youtube WNYP railroad.
[video=youtube;So8mOdY2vNs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=So8mOdY2vNs[/video]

Last edited:
there was this rumor I heard going around, hmmmmmh what was it??? OH! yeah! it was railroads are not here for our entertainment.
they don't give a rats rear end what a bunch of foamers think.

You don't have to be so rude Deadman. I get that railroads are out to make money...I know enough and understand enough to realize that. However, the nostalgic, wishful railfan side of me also knows that I don't have to like it.

Back