Amtrak's Pioneer May Return

kmothersil

There is a bill that could restore a part or the whole 2,662 mile roue from Seattle to Chicago. It's called Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2007.

There is a bill that could restore a part or the whole 2,662 mile roue from Seattle to Chicago. It's called Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2007.

errrmm we talking about Seattle Washington?? 'cause last I checked the Empire Builder already runs from Seattle to Chicago. Do we need another route?

peter
Edit: After reading the PRI&I Act. I find no mention of the Seattle-Chicago corridor. If anything it looks like long distance trains will be in more jeopardy after the act.
For those interested here is a link to the PDF transcript of the act:
Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2007

I feel I should mention that I think it would be great to have more Amtrak lines. but doubling up on a route does not seem the wisest to me

Last edited:
Does the Empire Builder go to Chyenne,Wymonig and Sherman Hill? Cause last I check it didn't and if you gon on youtube I don't know, which video it is, but they show Union Paicifc trains near the station at Cheyenne.Plus this train along with the Desert Wind was combined or seperated with the California Zephyr at either Denver or Salt Lake City from what I heard.

Plus another thing did you even check discuss.amtraktrains.com? They have an article about this. Oh on the same website someone found satellite images of old Amtrak cars in a yard from a company in St. Louis called Gateway Rail serives.

Gateway Rail

Aha, I know it well. All those are old heritage cars that have been purchased by private entities (read: people with deep pockets or lots of patience! :hehe: ) for restoration. I happen to know one of the board members and have been to the Shops on numerous occasions. That's also where the Mark Twain Zephyr is being restored for placement at Granite City Passenger Terminal. :D

@Dietrichj: They have a couple Long Island cars they're looking to sell real cheap! ;)

Aha, I know it well. All those are old heritage cars that have been purchased by private entities (read: people with deep pockets or lots of patience! :hehe: ) for restoration. I happen to know one of the board members and have been to the Shops on numerous occasions. That's also where the Mark Twain Zephyr is being restored for placement at Granite City Passenger Terminal. :D

@Dietrichj: They have a couple Long Island cars they're looking to sell real cheap! ;)

Like how much are we tallking?

Like how much are we tallking?

Buying the car isn't always the most expensive part. Usually the most expensive parts are paying (usually Amtrak) to move it. and then the upkeep. Oh also the track storage space for it.

peter

Back