Amtrak cancels service due to....

They should cancel all service permanently unless they can run without subsidies. I wonder if NS is sitting out the storm as well? I doubt it, they actually make money when they operate. Good to know Amtrak can just take a long weekend and not have to worry about the lost income...:eek:

An entire weekend seems a bit extreme..... There's no reason to not be operating tomorrow. Saturday is another story. I can't find it now, but I remember the local news showing US Sugar's railcars and locomotives blown to Hell and back after Hurricane Wilma in 2005. Of course, anyone who has ever been to Clewiston, Florida knows that you are as close to Hell on Earth as possible when you are there.....;)

Norfolk Southern's website says nothing, but at CSX they say "The company is planning local service curtailments in some areas of coastal North Carolina and coastal Virginia as necessary. CSX will continue to monitor Irene and take other precautions as needed. "

--Scott

Where I live, in the 'burbs of Philly, SEPTA (aka INEPTA) has announced that they are shutting down all service and de-electrifying all track come midnight on Saturday. This storm does not look good at all.

An entire weekend seems a bit extreme..... There's no reason to not be operating tomorrow. Saturday is another story. I can't find it now, but I remember the local news showing US Sugar's railcars and locomotives blown to Hell and back after Hurricane Wilma in 2005. Of course, anyone who has ever been to Clewiston, Florida knows that you are as close to Hell on Earth as possible when you are there.....;)

Norfolk Southern's website says nothing, but at CSX they say "The company is planning local service curtailments in some areas of coastal North Carolina and coastal Virginia as necessary. CSX will continue to monitor Irene and take other precautions as needed. "

--Scott

Since Amtrak runs a good part on CSX, there's a possibility that this might be the reason in addition to the storm really hammering 99% of the Amtrak route south of Washington D.C. anyway.

At least they're preparing ahead of time rather than stranding passengers. People would b* about that instead, so it's a damned if you do, and a damned if you don't situation. If they were to run and get stranded, lawsuits would happen, and this would cost more money than it's worth waiting out the storm. If they were to derail and get stranded..., well you get the picture, I hope.

John

They should cancel all service permanently unless they can run without subsidies. I wonder if NS is sitting out the storm as well? I doubt it, they actually make money when they operate. Good to know Amtrak can just take a long weekend and not have to worry about the lost income...:eek:

Looks like NS is doing the same.

"Norfolk Southern is closely monitoring the track of Hurricane Irene. The storm is currently expected to impact operations along the eastern seaboard from the Carolinas and northward over the next few days. As a precautionary step, we are holding shipments moving into this area at inland terminals west of the impacted area. We are also giving priority to shipments currently on hand in the region to move out of the areas expected to be impacted. Material, equipment, and personnel are being staged to move into the area after the storm passes, to address power outages, debris, flooding, and other issues associated with the storm."

bit.ly/nrXgS9

Back