All Around Best Tracks

gisa

Routelayer Ordinaire...
Hi all,

Slowly but surely I am trying to build a fictional North American route. I found that the most realistic looking rail tracks that I had downloaded were the VMD rails set. So I used them and built a route...

And then I noticed in another thread that someone said that the VMD rails are actually polygon intensive. Now I know why my computer seems to crawl to a halt when I'm around a lot of them! :(

So I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best all around tracks? I mean, in terms of polygon count, appearance, realism, etc...I would love to hear your personal recommendations as well as the creator/KUID so I could test them out.

Gisa ^^

Not sure what the poly count is, but I use exclusively Norfolk Track.

79563:50004
79563:50005 (rusty)

John

I use the MP-Track series by josefpav as there's a good variety and they're not a big hit on performance. I think they're all built-in to TRS but they're on the DLS otherwise (search for mp-track)

JB

P.S This is one of the MP-tracks... click for larger version.

You piqued my curiosity about the Visa track/turnouts. It that the user's name? I wasn't able to find any track under that name.

John

I strongly support JB's recommendation. The track is low-poly, very kind on frame rates and looks realistic.

If you are following North American practices, the track has the additional advantage that there is a matching tunnel that is one of the few that will accommodate autoracks and double stack.

Look for kuids:
46162:38014
46162:38016
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]46162:38015
46162:38101
46162:38013
(the last two go together).

Phil
[/FONT]

I too have started using the MP track pack. Another bonus is that Andi06's animated junctions have a matching texture option...

Paul

Hi all,

Slowly but surely I am trying to build a fictional North American route. I found that the most realistic looking rail tracks that I had downloaded were the VMD rails set. So I used them and built a route...

And then I noticed in another thread that someone said that the VMD rails are actually polygon intensive. Now I know why my computer seems to crawl to a halt when I'm around a lot of them! :(

So I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best all around tracks? I mean, in terms of polygon count, appearance, realism, etc...I would love to hear your personal recommendations as well as the creator/KUID so I could test them out.

Gisa ^^

Have a look for the MP tracks from HP Trainz. they're free to download and really good on polys so they should help you in your desire to speed your route up... Get them from http://hp-trainz.de/html/free_sc.html

regards

Harry

You piqued my curiosity about the Visa track/turnouts. It that the user's name? I wasn't able to find any track under that name.

John

Not realy they are are Spainish Groupe producing content for trainz and is only available from their site; you have to register but everything is free, there has aready been some threads here about the content they produce, its all very high quality,

www.vias3d.net

Have a look, nothing to lose and plenty to gain :)

I use the Track Pack by Delsoft it has wooden sleepered tracks in two colours of matching Rusty Track and then Wooden/weeds or grass with shiny or rusty rails.

gisa --

One additional thought.

If you do want to share your route, it makes sense to use assets that we can all access easily. On this basis, assets that are on the Download Station are probably the ones to use.

Phil

Thank you everyone for your advice and replies!

I will definitely give the mp series a download. I did visit the website and downloaded the tracks. I will let you all know what I think of them in due time. :)

I checked out www.vias3d.net but it's all in Spanish and I have no idea how to log in or download those particular tracks. Are they on the dls?

Again, thanks all for the recommendation! :cool:

Gisa ^^

And My Favourite Is...

After testing out the Norfolk, Delsoft and MP tracks, I have decided to go with the MP track - wood. :) The Norfolk track was my second favourite :D but I liked the overall look of the MP tracks, especially with regards to the shine of the rail and the texture of the ballast. The Delsofts weren't bad, but I didn't like the mixed look of textures (it felt too...artificial, but that's just my opinion). I'm sure the MP is low poly as well so I'm really looking forward to using it (and relaying my track properly as I'll have to do signalling eventually). :rolleyes: It's just too bad that the VMD's are so polygon intensive. :(

Thank you all for your recommendations and advice!

Gisa ^^

Back