AI Trains & TRS2019 Build 116678 problems

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
I don't know if I should even mention my problems because usually the answers I receive make it sound like it's always my own fault.

First, in my routes, I cannot add an AI driver in the Edit Session page. I mean, I can add it, but it won't show up in the session. The only way I can add another AI train is from Driver. I place the consist and loco in Classic Surveyor mode, then go to driver and add all the commands. Presto, I have an AI train. But I can't rename it using this method. It will always be "Harry" or "Steve" or whatever.

Secondly, after driving my route for an hour or two, all the AI trains will just stop dead in their tracks and I get the message (sample) "Error: Cannot find Silica Loading Track #5" or whatever. Even if this same AI train has been there two or three times before. The only way I can get my AI trains moving again is to click on the lead locomotive and get in the cab for a few seconds. After a short while the loco will start moving again to the next destination.

In my opinion, all my Trainz troubles started when N3V added Layers to the game. Before that, everything was Peachy Keen.

And another thing.... Why can't I fix stuff and Submit Edits in this game now? Every time I try to fix something, I.E. the mirrors on my SD70ACe, after I submit edits I get a ton of errors.

This game just gets more complicated every year.

No Dave, not your fault

Many things in Trainz are not intuitive and have become harder to do in later versions
For the drivers, the 4 [] options in Driver Setup at the bottom of that screen are important
e.g. if you [v] remove al drivers first, Trainz removes them, then checks which trains need a driver

Layers are not bad and you are not forced to use them, except route and session layer and the hidden effect layers

When you edit built-in, base or payware items, the textures are compiled/locked,
when you submit CM will give errors cause it will not accept these kind of textures

Yes it gets more complicated sadly, try to have fun with it, I do

When you edit built-in, base or payware items, the textures are compiled/locked,
when you submit CM will give errors cause it will not accept these kind of textures

(I hate Caps Lock) No, I'm trying to edit and fix my OWN assets. Like the mirrors on my SD70ACe which originally showed my "reflective effects" but now shows the whole skin of my locomotive.

I give up. Back to ATS for me.

TRS019 Problems

Dave I really like your amazing content. I have just installed TRS019. I find most of the stuff made by developers, meant for 019 works on 019. My issue is and always will be the backward compatibility of stuff that runs great on old versions but you then cdp it across and get more error. Even stuff that you have removed the "yellow" warnings from. Diesel content is not too bad to get going but steam is tricky. Sometimes you are able to load and run it with only im's, but if you do an edit and you cause an error then those many errors pop up and if you baked up your config and put it back, it no longer forgives. The behavior of steam via smoke parameters seems to not change no matter what numbers you put in it. The direction parameter really has seizures. I worked IT for many years. When releasing new software, there was of course the implementation, BUT also the conversion software to help the users get their old files across without too many errors. I know it sounds old fashion but this was indeed part of the project. The other issue I have is with the logical locations of functions. This is the intuitive and flow of using drop downs and screens that require keying. I repeatedly say nasties about the developers who create a drop down unready to receive that keying. Old fashion insert cursor at first open field is the way we standardized on the software at my place of work. I am an old geezer too. I was a system tester for many years. I'd be ashamed I think to let these things go. Trainz is a problem solving game and I enjoy that, but I never thought part of the game would be solving the config file coding problems created by new versions. I guess we find joy in digging resolving and tweaking, untill we venture into that next version. Always an adventure with TRAINZ. I am a fellow older geezer.

Dave,

Don't give up. Your AI driving issue is not your fault. The problem is due to game code getting stuck and then the AI stops driving, signals stop functioning, and then everything stops. This process occurs usually after 30 to 45 minutes into a driving session and there is really no recourse once things start getting stupid. On my rather large routes, I have had AI sit at signals that are red for the driver, but the following signals are green. I been able to "trick" the program into running longer maybe getting an hour before the session slows down and the AI quit by pressing the pause key.

I have sometimes been lucky saving the session then quitting totally and restarting from the save. This presents its own bag of worms due to signals not waking up right away, or the signals remaining red while the AI blast through them. I've had the signals load up properly while the AI ignore them as they drive blind and end up messing things up. Usually by this point, I've decided it's better to quit rather than continue with the frustration.

As a model builder, you have filled my routes with your buildings. I use them everywhere especially your houses and stores. I've built whole neighborhoods with your homes. Here is my piano teacher's house at the corner of Hazeltine and Revere Streets. Seriously. She lived in a red Colonial Revival house similar to this one her parents bought in 1926. Her 1905 Mason and Hamlin grand sat in front of the window to the right of the door and her den occupied the rear window. Missing from this house is a back screened in porch and the front porch is a bit shorter with higher steps. Other than those details, when I set this up, I felt the nostalgic feeling of going there for lessons and later spending time with a family friend. Without your models, I couldn't build this.

2022-03-11 015627.jpg

First, in my routes, I cannot add an AI driver in the Edit Session page. I mean, I can add it, but it won't show up in the session.
Please advise which step goes wrong or which steps you are using when things do go wrong.
1. Edit Session
2. Edit "Driver Setup"
3. Click "Add driver" and choose a Driver from the list
4. Repeat step 3 as often as you like
5. Switch to Driver
6. Click on the Driver image bottom left
7. Note the Drivers you added are showing in the list

"Error: Cannot find Silica Loading Track #5"
My guess is that "something" has changed. The challenge is to figure out what that is. Analyse the track between the AI driver and the destination to see what might be preventing the AI from finding it.
(that said I expect there is a bug that needs fixing, but we need to know how to repro the issue first).

Secondly, after driving my route for an hour or two, all the AI trains will just stop dead in their tracks and I get the message (sample) "Error: Cannot find Silica Loading Track #5" or whatever. Even if this same AI train has been there two or three times before.

This might be not related to the problem, but a couple of weeks ago one of my locos stopped and could not find a named trackmark. The trackmark had --> in part of its name. Once I removed the "--" ">" and renamed using letters, the loco continued on. Perhaps the # is causing the issue with Track 5 over time?

Dave,

Don't give up. Your AI driving issue is not your fault. The problem is due to game code getting stuck and then the AI stops driving, signals stop functioning, and then everything stops. This process occurs usually after 30 to 45 minutes into a driving session and there is really no recourse once things start getting stupid. On my rather large routes, I have had AI sit at signals that are red for the driver, but the following signals are green. I been able to "trick" the program into running longer maybe getting an hour before the session slows down and the AI quit by pressing the pause key.

I have sometimes been lucky saving the session then quitting totally and restarting from the save. This presents its own bag of worms due to signals not waking up right away, or the signals remaining red while the AI blast through them. I've had the signals load up properly while the AI ignore them as they drive blind and end up messing things up. Usually by this point, I've decided it's better to quit rather than continue with the frustration.

As a model builder, you have filled my routes with your buildings. I use them everywhere especially your houses and stores. I've built whole neighborhoods with your homes. Here is my piano teacher's house at the corner of Hazeltine and Revere Streets. Seriously. She lived in a red Colonial Revival house similar to this one her parents bought in 1926. Her 1905 Mason and Hamlin grand sat in front of the window to the right of the door and her den occupied the rear window. Missing from this house is a back screened in porch and the front porch is a bit shorter with higher steps. Other than those details, when I set this up, I felt the nostalgic feeling of going there for lessons and later spending time with a family friend. Without your models, I couldn't build this.

Thanks John. I am so glad you are enjoying using my houses and buildings. Did you see the street I built in my Alma Valley route in the town of Donovan Hollow on Railroad Street?

Thanks John. I am so glad you are enjoying using my houses and buildings. Did you see the street I built in my Alma Valley route in the town of Donovan Hollow on Railroad Street?

I did see that. :) I like the way each house has its own gardens and landscaping. This adds to the uniqueness of each town.

Back