A few pointers from your friendly neighborhood locomotive engineer

magickmaker

Taken straight from the "Best of Craigslist." Censored in my version.

Let's start with some DON'Ts.

1.) A train is really, really big. Can we all accept that? Not even your Ram/F350/Hummer/douche-mobile is a match for a locomotive. You say you have a Cummins diesel? Caterpillar? Detroit? Oooooooh. Well I have an EMD 567 on a bad day, and even its pathetic eighteen-hundred horsepower will pound you and your gleaming pickup into the fourth dimension, so please, stay behind the white line!

2) I hate blocking crossings. Seriously, I feel like a complete jerk when I stop a train in the middle of the road and leave two dozen motorists to ponder their lattes and ask what the heck I'm doing. The truth is, sometimes it has to be done, so don't honk at me, flip me off, or scream at me from the window of your Dodge Caravan as you're shooting a U. Instead, be patient and try to believe that there's a point to what I'm doing. It's called switching, and my conductor is depending on me to work slowly and not run his tail over. If you don't believe me, Wiki that.

3) Don't climb on the equipment. I hate to sound like your mother, but you're saving me a lot of paperwork and horrifying flashbacks by staying off the equipment. To you it might look like an abandoned train or a free ride, but when that mother starts to move with you on it, there's a real good chance you won't be able to hold on. As long as you're on Wikipedia, punch in "slack action" and see what comes up. Also, the romance of riding freight trains is total bull. They're really dark, really cold, really windy, and hobos are freaking SCARY.

4) Don't put junk on the tracks. It's dangerous to me and my conductor, and it's ten times more dangerous for you and everyone else on the ground. If you're wondering "can a train go over a rock?" the answer is YES. There's only one problem. You probably haven't wondered where the million shards of rock are going to go at four times the speed of sound, have you?

5) Stop whining about the horn. Countless accidents have been avoided because drivers missed the flashing lights but heard the horn. You'd have to blast Miley Cyrus and Lil' Bow Wow pretty loud to drown out a five-chime, and often that's the only thing that saves people. Still, that's no reason to keep your stereo at eighty decibels as you're rolling through a crossing at sixty without looking both ways.

6) By and large, railroad cops are major douche bags, so when you're trespassing on railroad property, keep your head out of your rear. These guys didn't make it into the real police force, and they will ream your rear inside and out to make up for it. Also, walking on bridges and in tunnels is extremely dangerous. Ask yourself: If a train comes, where will I go? Trains are much wider than the rails they run on, so don�t be fooled.

Now for some of the DO'S.

1) If you see a large object (like a garbage can or an F350) that's about to get love-tapped by a hotshot freight train, get in the clear. If the crap's about to fly at a railroad crossing, run to the side of the street that the train is coming from. That way you'll be behind the point of impact and you won't have to worry about catching that beautiful pickup and its over-confident driver square on your shoulders. If you run away from the train you're just putting yourself in the line of fire, and the death toll could very possibly be two.

2) If the gates stay down and the lights stay flashing, stay where you are. I swear there's another train coming, and speeding onto the tracks the moment the first train clears is a lot like celebrating a touchdown too early. WHAM.

3) When you're waiting for a train to pass, it's a good idea to stay back thirty or forty feet. Trains are operated by professionals, but often they're loaded by total idiots. I've heard some real nasty stories about payloads falling off flatcars and crushing people in their vehicles, or doors sliding off boxcars and ripping through everything in their path. It's rare, but it happens!

4) Always report problems or suspicious activity. If you see a photographer with a radio scanner and a big notebook, ignore him. We know that guy. But if there's a dude in street clothes working a crowbar through a signal box, hit us up and tell us what the deal is. Railroad crossings usually have signs with emergency numbers, or you can call the non-emergency number for your local fuzz. If an accident has already occurred or a life is at risk, call 911 instead. Pretty sure they have our number.

5) Last but not least, when you're inconvenienced by a train, remember that we're pulling for you! Trains are a great way to conserve fuel, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and keep American jobs alive and green. Rail technology is the best solution to our energy crisis, and as the rail network grows in the years to come, it's important for everyone to stay safe. Look, listen, LIVE.

Edited to replace censored words.

Last edited:
That was a really good read, I enjoyed that. Sad to admit, but when I was a kid, about 15 years ago, we used to put branches and stuff on the tracks, never saw any railroad police though.

Thanks for the laughs

Very good read. Inconvenience? Heck no! Get to count cars, see what's going by and enjoy the show. My errands can wait! Keep up the good work!

The Author sounds like a complete <censored>;

He (or she) criticises everyone that isn't him (or her), and seems a bit too proud of their job. The advice was well placed, but given in such a way as to convince those on the receiving end to park their F-350s, Rams and Hummers on the nearest level crossing.

Last edited:
I agree completely, now I know what to expect when it is time for me to ride the rails!:cool:

magicmaker,

Enjoyed reading your post , with the exception of all the <censored> insertions , they could have simply been replaced with non-offessive wording ?

But it was a good piece nonetheless .

--- ,DLR

Amen! :D

My dad once told me a story about a friend of his when he was growing up who got too close to a moving train. The suction produced between the cars (look up Bernoulli force) pulled under and quite effectively removed his legs. That was enough for me. I stay way back from trains.

For a couple of years I lived across an 80' wide parking lot from a busy double track mainline. It was great getting a front row seat from my porch swing of the autoracks and coil cars going past. Those chugging GE's accelerating out of the nearby yard would make the windows shake. There was a low spot in a rail joint near the crossing where you could see the Dash-9's and grain hoppers bounce that made me a bit concerned, though. I remember MOW crews looking at it on more than one occasion. They must have thought it was okay because they never fixed it.

Of course, once or twice a week I'd see some inDUHvidual drive around the gates or speed through as they were dropping, apparently desperate to win a Darwin Award. It must take a special kind of stupid to look at 10,000 tons of steel rolling at 45 mph and think, "Naaaa. There's no possible way THAT could hurt me or scratch my car."

It's not like it's even hard to do. It takes so little effort to hit your brake pedal and sit and wait until the red lights stop, the gates lift up, and the coast is clear. It doesn't require any work on the driver's part, yet so hard for those not picked off by extinct mega-predators to comprehend.

Maybe we should start including instructions with those things...

Last edited:
Hi All: Nice post..The truth might hurt, but heed the warning..A train is no fun fun to play with..Most people do not realize how long it takes to stop a Train..So this is serious business..Give um a Brake..

Bob Cass:) :)

I have to admit that when I was young, my grandparents lived next to Radnor Yard in Nashville and we used to put pennies on the rail quite often. It was quite entertaining, but also very dangerous.

I'm also sure that there are a lot of railfans like me. When I see that a train is approaching a crossing, I'll slow down rather than speed up. I really don't want to miss the train, so I try to make sure that I get caught by the crossing gates. I do however like to stay back about 100 feet from the crossing. You never know what's going to happen as all of that tonnage goes through that crossing.

Mike

3) When you're waiting for a train to pass, it's a good idea to stay back thirty or forty feet. Trains are operated by professionals, but often they're loaded by total idiots. I've heard some real nasty stories about payloads falling off flatcars and crushing people in their vehicles, or doors sliding off boxcars and ripping through everything in their path. It's rare, but it happens!
ROFL!!!! Sounds like the baggage people at airports also double loading trains

4) Always report problems or suspicious activity. If you see a photographer with a radio scanner and a big notebook, ignore him. We know that guy. But if there's a dude in street clothes working a crowbar through a signal box, hit us up and tell us what the deal is. Railroad crossings usually have signs with emergency numbers, or you can call the non-emergency number for your local fuzz. If an accident has already occurred or a life is at risk, call 911 instead. Pretty sure they have our number.
FINALLY!!! Victory for the Railfan.

I guess this means now I need to get myself a radio scanner.......maybe I won't be harassed anymore

I have to admit that when I was young, my grandparents lived next to Radnor Yard in Nashville and we used to put pennies on the rail quite often. It was quite entertaining, but also very dangerous.

Mike

ill admit to that too

[pennies,quarters,dimes,nickels] but not anymore

Euphod, act your age...

:cool: My biggest peeve is when I see a video really-too really up close to the track, or on the opposite side of the crossing to the road.

You really could get wiped out, however don't give me the excuse that it's only a camera because I ain't buying...

A number of years ago, I saw some strapping wipe out some parked cars. These commuters thought they were smart and used to park in the no parking zone in the entrance to an industrial park. No wonder it was the NO-Parking zone. The strapping had snapped from something, and was being dragged along by a freight going about 40 mph. You could see the grass and weeds as well as small trees being ripped to shreds as it went by. The cars were really ripped up too after the train passed.

So now I too stay back about 100 feet from a crossing. I don't want my car to look like the ones that got hit by the strapping.

John

Wow what an extraordinary piece of writing!
Amen, Amen!

There is so much truth in that, some of the kids at school are so ignorant or just plain arrogant and will not accept that they are by far, overpowered at a railroad crossing.
I'd like to see them try...

Woody

Back