A blind AI driver

VeritechCEO

So, a switching locomotive takes some flatcars to an inter-model yard and loads up on containers. It then goes to a nearby siding to drop them off before going to get more flatcars. It has orders to drive via a track mark at the end of the siding before going onto the main line, and then it has orders to continue to another track mark up ahead on the main line, but instead of going to that track mark it goes in the opposite direction(Back the way it came from) and stops at a red signal. If it kept going this way it would have either gone back to the inter-model yard (a dead end), back to the flatcars it dropped off (Another dead end unless you move said flatcars), or into a coal mine siding that is blocked by a coal train taking on coal.

Can someone explain to me why the driver won't do the obvious and keep going in the direction it was suppose to go in, in the first place?

Might be worth checking if there are any other obstructions on that patch of track (use minimap if needed). I've known AI do that as well if going backwards is seen as the shorter route.

Shane

Shane - No other trains are on the mainline track at the time, but my loco is driving backwards to get back to the nearby yard.

Dean - No I haven't tried either of those yet. Will give it a try next chance I get.

oknotsen - No priority track markers on the route.

I noticed too that the AI will go off down the backroad to get to a siding when told to couple. What I do is issue the command, let the driver go a short distance, enough to clear the points, stop the driver and then have the AI continue the schedule. This seems to clear the driver and he goes back about his business of coupling like he's supposed to.

I tried wait... commands, but that didn't help. Is there a stop command I could try?

Perhaps you need more detailed list of many more explicit trackmarkers, to act as breadcrumbs for the AI pigeons to follow ... If you give AI a general obtuse order ... it may not be able to see the "Big Picture" and long path ... so it backs up ... or fails to see the end objective

You have to tell AI to go to A, B, C, D, ... etc, to couple to Z

If you tell AI to drive from A, and to couple to Z ... most likely the AI will not understand simple vague directions

Ok, "drive to" commands didn't help, and I even tried testing out different trackmark directions to see if that would help but no go.

Ok, "drive to" commands didn't help, and I even tried testing out different trackmark directions to see if that would help but no go.

Track mark directions do not matter.

Try this:

1) Setup a track mark some distance from the points to ensure there's enough space for the engine(s) plus consist.

2) Try the following:

----- represents the driver queue where you place commands.
(n) represents values needed

Couple...(pick freight car from list). ---- Wait for... (20 sec.) ---- Drive To (track mark named above) ---- Wait for... (20 sec.). Couple... (pick freight car from list.), etc.

The freight cars picked from the list will be at ones that the driver can access. To find out which freight cars are available for you that you wish to couple, use the "?" in the consists and rail cars tab, for the freight car you want to couple. In there will be the details including the name as displayed in the list for Couple... command.

This is a process I have used manually and it works so I'm sure it can work automated as well.

John

Grrr, change direction command didn't help either.

JCitron - The problem is not moving the cars. The problem is getting the loco from a set of cars I dropped of, to another set in a rail yard just south of the loco. Basically I'm trying to get the driver to go from a siding, onto a main line, and into a yard.

Grrr, change direction command didn't help either.

JCitron - The problem is not moving the cars. The problem is getting the loco from a set of cars I dropped of, to another set in a rail yard just south of the loco. Basically I'm trying to get the driver to go from a siding, onto a main line, and into a yard.

This sounds more like a signaling issue then. Could you post a screen shot or illustration of your layout including signals?

Use Host then Post www.hostthenpost.org to host your images or similar website.

John

Ive found engine files to cause issues., Tane does have the option now to change the engine file on the fly...but a screen shot would be nice to actually see what type of loco, signals...and junction placings
and if that coal train may be locking up the line...

JCitron - As for possible signal issues, I just recently switched from NEC signals to searchlight signals, after reading up on them, so I'll see if that helped the next time I play the game. I'll post a screenshot or 2 within the next few days.

mtldrm38 - I don't know why an engine file would be the problem, but I'll experiment with a different loco at some point.

Ok, it definitely is not a signal issue. I got it to pass the signal at the end of the siding, but it stills turns the other way right after the trackmark on the other side of said signal. The below screen shot shows the loco right as its starting to slow down and go forward, instead of continuing onto the main line.

Update: Ok, I just tested the same situation with a built-in diesel loco, and it actually went onto the main line and continued to the yard (and it was facing the same direction as the steam engine). So my problem is with the steam engine. Now the final challenge, to find a steam switcher loco. Any got any recommendations?

Last edited:
Back