32 vs 64 bit for 2010

tariacuri

Hello all

I'm running Trainz using Win 7 32 bit in native mode on a fully tricked out Macbook Pro. I'm a Mac guy so don't know that much about 'juking' a PC system. My laptop has 8 GB of RAM but Win 7 is only 2 GB, with another 2 going to the video card. A Google search comes back with multiple issues re: Win. 7 and it's inability to utilize more then 4 GB of RAM via 32 bit - but 64 bit can utilize more????

Will I see major performance boost if I switch to 64 bit - ???

If I upgrade do I have to wipe the win 7 partition - and reinstall all the Trainz patches - ugggg

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0647
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3448
gMux Version: 1.8.8
Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3448
gMux Version: 1.8.8
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

64-bit can use more than 3.5GB (the limit for 32-bit), but a complete reinstall of Windows would be needed to do so (a clean install)

Shane

64-bit can use more than 3.5GB (the limit for 32-bit), but a complete reinstall of Windows would be needed to do so (a clean install)

Shane

UGGG - OK - long project for the weekend. Moving the Trainz folder onto a backup - and then moving it back onto the updated drive will probably not work?? But I can do this with my Trainz user folder?

Thanks

Chris

Your best bet is to backup your content (the Local folder should be sufficient), then re-install TS2010 after (then importing your backup folder)

Shane

I've been able to back up, move and use Trainz by simply backing up the entire installation, reinstalling Trainz on the desired computer and location, and then copying the old installation over top of the new one - replacing everything with the original installation. No need to repatch, at least not up to and including Trainz SP2, and, more importantly, no need to reimport content.

For future reference, the above works for moving an installation to a different drive or directory as well.

Trainz itself can only use 2GB max at moment. However, the advantage of having WIN7 64bit is that any background processes can run on the rest of your memory. I have 12GB installed and regularly see 6GB in use when CM is committing. I have seen as much as 10GB in use.

Trainz itself can only use 2GB max at moment. However, the advantage of having WIN7 64bit is that any background processes can run on the rest of your memory. I have 12GB installed and regularly see 6GB in use when CM is committing. I have seen as much as 10GB in use.

Under a 64 bit operating system a 32 bit program can access 4 gigs of memory rather than the normal 2 gigs provided it is compiled correctly. TS2010 is set up so it can use 4 gigs of memory under a 64 bit operating system but only 2 under a 32 bit operating system.

Cheerio John

Back