Can I create/edit textures in TS2009?

Approach_Medium

Trainz Addict
Hi;
I recall that in TS2004 I was able to create my own textures by taking a photo of something.
In TS2006 and 2009 I can no longer do this due to the change in file encoding.

How do I create textures in TS2009? Gmax?

Thanks

FW

Hello FW,

Are you trying to create textures to reskin a model or are you wanting to create new ground textures?

TS2009 is able to use all previous textures when compatability mode but "requires" (if that is the right word) or perhaps "expects" different quality and I believe sizing specifications. I have not created ground textures since 2004 but a quick look at the 2006 and TC CCG did not show any differences in procedures. For TS2009 information check out TrainzDev as I believe this is described there. I believe (and could be wrong) that TS2009 wants normal maps for ground textures (and indeed for all native 09 content) so GMax will not do the job. Look at Blender or if you have the cash - 3ds Max which is Auran's prefered creation tool.

For model textures any paint program with layers will do fine.

In TS2009, when commiting a model, the program appears to convert texture files to a New format. You only have to worry about the format if you are trying to reskin an 09 model.

Hopefully someone with more 09 experience will jump in to clarify this.

have Fun

Brian

Hi Brian;
Thanks for your reply;
I was thinking of creating some ground textures.
I am kind of torn between trying to get into content creation, scripting, or maybe just some new ground textures.
I may go between this and that to see what I really want to do.

A reskin might be nice, especially if I can't get the CSX dash 9's to work in TS2009.
I did get the CN dash 9's to work, som maybe I could reskin one of those for CSX. I've got plenty of opportunity to photograph CSX trains.

FW

Hi fwassner,

if you are going to be looking into making content for TS2009 you might want to head over to Trainzdev as this has a wiki to help with the new system of building content.

Nathan

Last edited:
Hi,

You don't need Gmax to create ground textures for TS2009. You do need a paint program that can save a 32 bit .tga file. That is 24 bits of color data and an 8 bit alpha channel. Find the image you want to use as the color or diffuse map. It can be up to 2048 x 2048 but it doesn't have to be that large. I've gotten good results with 512 x 512. If the image doesn't have an alpha channel then you're have to figure out how to add one. The alpha channel should be filled with pure white. Save the new image as an 32 bit uncompressed .tga file.

Now you need a program to create a normal map. Nivdia has a free plugin on their site that works with any program that takes photoshop plugins. I use a program called Shadermap that costs $20. The basic concept is that you load your diffuse map you just saved and then the plugin or Shadermap creates a normal map from it. Normal maps has a bluish tint to them. You save the normal map with a filename similiar to the diffuse map but with -normal in the filename. The normal map should be a 32 bit .tga file with the alpha channel filled with black.

Then open CM2 and choose new from the File menu and then choose groundtexture from the list. Fill in the boxes and at the bottom choose your two images. Save and check your new ground texture in the game. If you did the normal map right then as the sun moves across the sky you should see the lighting change on your ground texture.

William

Back