Blender exporter

Blender is NOT exporting normal maps right in 09 with the new xml exporter. I exported the same mesh with the xml and the old one, the old one worked the new xml dose not CMP gives an error that it can not find the normal texture file.

Could you do a bug report on sourceforge so we can track the error?

Thanks John

I guess it's the material name. If you don't use a decorated material name the old exporter choose a decoration according the used textures. As the decorations(the name for the material kind) must be supported by Jet engine I left this job to TMI in the XML version. TMI chooses m.onetex instead of m.tbumptex what cause the error. Append a "m.tbumptex" to your material name (as described in CCGs) to override the automatic decoration to solve this error. Another hint for Greg :)

I have also had problems with normal map exporting. In that I named the material as suggested by the back faces turn black/dark and will not light. the standard texture appears under night lighting.

Buy "back faces" I mean any faces that are seen from the back view in blender. It does not seem to mater where I place the lights or camera in blender. And the time of day has no effect in Trainz.

Any help would be great.
Kenneth

I found the cause.

Just letting everyone know that I found the cause of my problem. It is the new XML exporter causing it. If I use the older IM export the model works fine although you must not set the DISTINGUISHING_STRING value. If you set that you will get a complete black object if the material is named as per the CCG.

I will now try to log the fault on sourceforge.

Kenneth

johnwhelan - posted last night with my files, note that the normal map was made with Nvidia plug-in and I had a setting wrong, Alpha Field was set to Hight it should have been set to Unchanged. This has no effect on the bug.

johnwhelan - posted last night with my files, note that the normal map was made with Nvidia plug-in and I had a setting wrong, Alpha Field was set to Hight it should have been set to Unchanged. This has no effect on the bug.

Did you note Torsten's response?

"I guess it's the material name. If you don't use a decorated material name the old exporter choose a decoration according the used textures. As the decorations(the name for the material kind) must be supported by Jet engine I left this job to TMI in the XML version. TMI chooses m.onetex instead of m.tbumptex what cause the error. Append a "m.tbumptex" to your material name (as described in CCGs) to override the automatic decoration to solve this error. Another hint for Greg :)"

Cheerio John

File Types ?

I am learning a new solid modeling system for my work and was wondering if it can be used for creating Trainz assets. It can export files in the following formats: KXL, SAT, DXF or DWG, IGES, STEP, STL, X_T, SRF, CATIA V4, CATUA V5, Graphics (HSF, HMF, HSF-Web, Image, WMF), HPGL2, VRML, or CGM file type.

Will any of these work and if so, what would be my next step? Import it into Blender, tweek as needed and then use Blender Exporter? All this stuff is quite new to me, so be gentle and keep your answers simple and specific so I can comprehend what I am to do.

Are there any books one can read to get up to speed an all this jargon?

Thanks.

I am learning a new solid modeling system for my work and was wondering if it can be used for creating Trainz assets. It can export files in the following formats: KXL, SAT, DXF or DWG, IGES, STEP, STL, X_T, SRF, CATIA V4, CATUA V5, Graphics (HSF, HMF, HSF-Web, Image, WMF), HPGL2, VRML, or CGM file type.

Will any of these work and if so, what would be my next step? Import it into Blender, tweek as needed and then use Blender Exporter? All this stuff is quite new to me, so be gentle and keep your answers simple and specific so I can comprehend what I am to do.

Are there any books one can read to get up to speed an all this jargon?

Thanks.

I'd do a bit of research on the web about importing one of these formats into Blender, then just try the Blender XML exporter.

Cheerio John

Hi guys,

Just updating you on my testing with Blender and Trainz.

I have final got normal maps working correctly in all versions of Trainz from 2004 to 2009. It appears the problem of black faces was caused by the XML importer and not the Blender Exporter.

Now I have found a new problem with attachment points. This seems to occur in TRS2004 where I am trying to create an object that has attached track. The object appears correctly and will join with other piece of fixed track correctly but after saving the map, upon re-opening the map trainz crashes. The config file is fine as I can replace the IM file with one created in gmax and all is fine. It only occurs with the Blender version of the IM file. I have found in the past that objects can crash trainz if the material names are incorrect, I have checked all material names in this object.

Can anybody offer some help.
Kenneth

A new version is available at sourceforge, the main changes are related to the event system. Don't forget to update the TrainzMeshImporter too ;).

kkeeley said:
Now I have found a new problem with attachment points. This seems to occur in TRS2004 where I am trying to create an object that has attached track. The object appears correctly and will join with other piece of fixed track correctly but after saving the map, upon re-opening the map trainz crashes. The config file is fine as I can replace the IM file with one created in gmax and all is fine. It only occurs with the Blender version of the IM file. I have found in the past that objects can crash trainz if the material names are incorrect, I have checked all material names in this object.

I will try to reproduce this problem.

Thanks for the update,

If required I can send you a small sample blender file if it is still crashing after I try the update.

Kenneth

Thanks for the new version.

I think I found the fault in my object with attached track, it appears to have been caused by a material with only one texture being call xxx.m.tbumptex instead of xxx.m.onetex after changing this TRS2004 stopped crashing when testing the object.:)

I don't think it was a problem with the exporter after all, but maybe it does show the need for the exporter to check material names againest use. If this could be made possible it would be handy, I think at the very least if you could check that anything other than m.onetex has a least 2 textures attached, if it was to create a warning about this it would make it easier to find the this sort of fault.:p

Thanks again,
Kenneth

Fine that it's working :)

And thanks for your suggestion, I'll try to add such a behaviour in the next version.

Regards,
Torsten

Keep up the great work,

I'm starting to get the hang of Blender now, so I think it is becoming a great replacement for Gmax, Its the same price and so far seems to have all the features of the full 3D studio. Well at least the feaures that I use.

Thanks again,
Kenneth

Hi there,

a new version of Blender XML Exporter is availabe at sourceforge. You can now use multiple materials per object and scale during export.

Best regards,
Torsten

Not working for me using Blender64 get error "No module named struct" this is the first time I have run the 64 bit one.

you can try to install python seperately; maybe they cut down the delivered built-in modules in Blender64...

I will take a look into the code if the XML exporter still use the module struct. If I remember correctly I've only used this to generate the binary output for *im and *kin files.

Last edited:
Back