Some info about a really big locomotive...

AndreaLuigi

The presentation of the Huge Boy by Trainzitalia startet a lot of discussion about the reality of this monster-steamer.

Our sources give us some details about the life of UP 8000 class locomotives.
We look for more information about it to put on our support site.
Thank you for all contributions.

I didn't know about the world's biggest steam locomotive! The printed wheel arrangement on the web page is 4-8-8-8-6 but the drawing shows 4-8-8-8-4.

There is a very suspicious joint in the locomotive, just between the second and third set of driving wheels! Nice try though:p

John

My evidence disproving the existence of the Huge Boy:

hugeboyav4.jpg

The original (in case the white circles mess it up for you)
hugeboyoriginaluf2.jpg

That's what I get for doing so many "spot the difference" puzzles in my youth...:hehe:

Also, I'm prone to making the same kinds of errors when I try to doctor pictures using MSPaint (evil!!!), so I know what to look for. :p

EDIT: Missed one!
hugeboy2cu5.jpg

Last edited:
That looks a little to big but it has been done. the Virginian had a 2-8-8-8-2 and a 2-10-10-2 and the C&O had a 4-14-6 locomotive. these are pretty big locomotives but they have been built before. the 8000 sreis though looks to much like th Big Boy. The front of the engine look exactly like it. let me talk to model railroader and my freind ross( he knows a lot about Western Pacific) and bill who worked on the UP. I have alcal train club i go to with these guy and the challeneger has gone by once so i will talk to them and see.

Last edited:
notice the very obvious photoshopping

i cannot believe you think its real. you can look at the repeating textures, and weathering, and clearly see its a fake. that guys mislead you with his own creation from his imagination

Thanks for the link, John.
I see that site has the bizarre Kitson-Still Steam-Diesel hybrid. I love that one.
That's a good source for oddball real locos, but my favorite for wild fictional locos is still BerlinerWerke. http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/bwrkapoc.html
Roam around the pages awhile and you'll find the famous Eerie 2-4-6-8-10-12 Multiplex, an engine so flexible that it ran over itself on a tight curve, a Deltic in Pennsie colors and various EMC/EMD engines, from the real-life B&O #50 box cab to the fictional DDP45 Big Boy II.
Lots of fun, plus some actual info.

:cool: Claude

Thanks Claude, don't forget to explore the other parts of the site! A steam powered bicycle, 2 wheeled cars, weird sound devices.......

I will look at your recommendation when I get back from a short weekend break!

John

I live near Leeds where the Kitson Still Steam Diesel was built, I once talked to an old Normanton railwayman who reckoned that when this loco was on trial on coal trains they could hear it leaving Hunslet sidings in Leeds, (about 7 miles away) Even if he was pulling my leg a bit, from the design it must have been loud.

John

More info

www.lner.info/locos/IC/kitson.shtml

Last edited:
Ben settle down there was no bigger US locomotive than the Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boys.

Technically though there were ones just "as big"
ATSF had some 2 or 3 2-10-10-2's at one point but split them soon after building them as they were in-efficient for the work (I believe the Virginian also had some 2-10-10-2's)

ERIE also had their own 2-8-8-8-2 (also known as the ERIE Triplex), while it did run and work, they were limited to 5mph coal drags. The immense pressure needed to work 3 sets of cylinders was far to great even for the massive boiler the Triplex carried.

In terms of wheel count the 4-8-8-4 Big Boy isn't as big. But the overall weight displacement is the highest of ANY US steam locomotive ever built.

There were quite a few patents and drawings for larger steamers (UP again), but they were NEVER built.

The Virginian had 10 or so 2-10-10-2's but speed was limited to about 15 MPH due to the large amount of mass in reciprocating motion (side rods, connecting rods, etc) and the 4 ft diameter front cylinders. Any faster and they would either tear themselves apart or rip up the track. They were successful however and lasted a goodly number of years. The philosophy at the time was to pull as many cars as possible with a single engine. Speed ws not a consideration. Over the years that philosophy changed and they became outmoded.

The triplex suffered from more steam needed then the boiler could produce. They added 2 additional cylinders but didn't increase the size of the boiler.

The ficticous (or howver you spell that, lol) 4-8-8-8-4 above might actually work as the boiler has been lengthened to produce enough steam for the extra 2 cylinders. Overhang can be solved by connecting the center engine (drivers and cylinders) to the boiler and letting the outer two sets pivot underneath like the front set on a 4-8-8-4. Overhang would be no greater then the original 4-8-8-4.

It ain't real but it would look neat chugging down the pike.

Ben

Back