Kuji Rail sim release date Friday 5th October 2007

best news ive heard in a long time:D
i was extermly excited about the Paddington to Oxford route since i traveled that line many times during my stay and was dissapointed when it wasnt going to be in the US release. Now let me hope its one of the two british routes included in the US version!

Same screenshots - but higher resolution.
Look at the EA-Site...

EA-Site:
121705-pc_railsim_5.jpg

800x600 with 89,6 KB

And now look here:
http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/original/2007/09/rail02.jpg
1600x1200 with 534,3 KB

Some on the EA-Homepage have 1280x1024 and on the PC-Games.de site there are only 1280x960 but most of that pictures have more filesize and the JPG-artefact in this pictures are low.

I think bigger file size - more details and you can zoom in.

You can search and find it here:http://www.pcgames.de/aid,613709/Wi...&order=POSITION&viewcnt=1&image_id=698692#top

Click on "Bild in Originalgröße"

Edit: I have take 40 screenshots (they are the same) from EA-UK and EA-Germany.
I give every pic a number one with EA and one with PC-Games.
PC-Games-Screenshots are bigger and better.
PC-Games: 11.1 MB = 40 Pics
EA-Germany/UK: 3.6 MB = 40 Pics

What is that???:confused:
The publisher screenshots are bad:n:and the screenshots from a game-website is better.

Wait for user screenshots next week.:Y:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pity my machine doesn't meet minimum hardware specs, mind you it still gets an average of 38 frames per second at default settings in TC 1/2 though. I wonder why it needs a more powerful machine than is needed for Trainz?

Still I don't think I want to buy a new machine just to run this one.

Cheerio John
You surprise me John, because I said exactly that about TC, in fact TC won't run satisfactorily at all, yet you get reasonable frame rates, and I don't?? and yet my machine lies right in the middle of the min/max specs in all respects for Kuju. I will certainly buy Kuju in preference to another episode of TC.

Chris

Last edited:
Using new computer with Vista and middle range card nvidia 8600 GTS and dual core 2 x 2.33 I think and 2G ram.
Trains Classics.. no problems running it.

So 12 Oct Kuju new sim. realease date for UK etc so hopefully that should run well also. maybe I will turn off shadows etc if that function in it. The winter scenes look nice and atmospheric in scsreenshots.

Barry

Last edited:
Originally Posted by johnwhelan
Pity my machine doesn't meet minimum hardware specs, mind you it still gets an average of 38 frames per second at default settings in TC 1/2 though. I wonder why it needs a more powerful machine than is needed for Trainz?

Still I don't think I want to buy a new machine just to run this one.

Cheerio John

You surprise me John, because I said exactly that about TC, in fact TC won't run satisfactorily at all, yet you get reasonable frame rates, and I don't?? and yet my machine lies right in the middle of the min/max specs in all respects for Kuju. I will certainly buy Kuju in preference to another episode of TC.

Chris

Probably because I have a long background in hardware and operating systems I have a vague idea of what is important for performance and what isn't. Looking at their minimum hardware specs I don't think they understand this side very well. EA traditionally has been more packaged simulators that use resources that have been optimised to run on a wide a range of systems as possible. The train sim market is maturing and it is based to a large extent on the work that the community has put into Trainz. If you look at many of the people involved they are the same. People can see what works and what doesn't.

They are in the market place to shift product. So my expectation would be a system that looks pretty and is geared upto expansion packs that cost dollars. The other side of this is the routes should run fairly well as they will be optimised for perfomance. However don't hold your breath waiting for the rich variety of rolling stock or routes such as 1890 GWR Broad Gauge etc. that Trainz has today on the DLS, if you are into selling boxes then the last thing you want is easy to acquire free routes and rolling stock. Much better the MSTS model where there is a fragmented freeware market place where it is difficult to find all the sites, the sites might disappear yesterday and some need subscriptions etc.

Probably what Trainz needs is to mature it's content creation guides lines to put in something about best practises when creating models with screen shots showing recommended practises in GMAX etc. I've been known to look at Paul Hobbs models to see how to cut polys, but I'm unclear about the impact of the number of textures.

TC3 will be one I find very interesting, that's the UK steam one and my area of interest. At the moment being able to defer a machine upgrade until the next generation of cpus and video cards are out next spring means I'm quite happy to spend a few dollars on code that has been optimised and debugged. Don't forget Trainz was developed for older PCs with fewer resources rather than the newer PCs, that probably means it was more carefully coded. DX10 might make a difference but that will take about two years before either have it available.

Cheerio John

John i bet you get better fps in kuji than i do in msts.

My fps is stuck at 13 fps ive never seen anything over on my beast of a system.

John i bet you get better fps in kuji than i do in msts.

My fps is stuck at 13 fps ive never seen anything over on my beast of a system.

I'm waiting to see what my machine makes of it, prob scream and run away, mind you, that depends if play.com get the money out of my bank, which atm is unlikley:(

Sam

Last edited:
First, is KRS a different simulator to MSTS2?

Registration: Is that only for the CD/DVD that comes with the game, or are they talking about registration for their download page?

I'm not sure how good/bad this/these simulators are, but if they are an improvement, wouldn't you think they would have been to model train shows, & brought a long a demo for potential customers to get the feel of the simulator/s, especially the Hurstville Model Train Show in Sydney last weekend, & previous shows that were near the expected release date?

First, is KRS a different simulator to MSTS2?
Yes, the two are totally unconnected and therefore almost certainly totally incompatible. KRS is due for imminent release, MSTS2 is many months away but bear in mind that only a small number of Microsoft development projects survive to become actual products. KRS doesn't require Vista, Microsoft are saying at the moment that MSTS2 will require Vista.
wouldn't you think they would have been to model train shows, & brought a long a demo for potential customers to get the feel of the simulator/s, especially the Hurstville Model Train Show in Sydney last weekend
KRS has been demonstrated at some computer games shows in Europe. Not having any Australian connection it's unreasonable to expect a pre-launch demo in Sydney IMHO.

There's more information about both programs on Wikipedia here and here and also plenty of discussion on most of the general train sim forums. The KRS web site has some videos, this site has some KRS development newsletters and the MSTS2 web site has links to some of the developer's blogs.

HTH, John

Last edited:
KRS will be released in Australia but not at the moment. First comes the EU release, then latter this year the US and then in 2008 the rest of the world.

The registration is for their support forum and downloads where you can get the extra developer tools etc that arent in the box

John

Hello

Forum has been launched: http://www.railsimulator.com/forum and register to view full forum and you won't be able to post until 12th Oct 2007 when Rail Simulator is Launched.

Also Kuju's Rail Sim website has updated with new screenshots: http://www.railsimulator.com/ or http://www.railsimulator.com/downloads/misc

FAQ available on the 12th October 2007.

Additional Tools available for download
After a simple registration process, you will gain access to all the tools you need to add brand new content into Rail Simulator. The Asset Editor provides the facility for incredibly accurate implementation of any object or train you can imagine; And the Packager allows you to share all your new content with any other Rail Simulator users you wish.
Get 'Developer' functionality
As a registered developer of content, you will be able gain access to in-depth documentation about all aspects of Rail Simulator, created by the team behind its production; learn tips and tricks from other advanced users in the Developers forum; and add additional functionally to Rail Simulator both inside and out.
Major Enhancements to the Scenario Editor
Along side the downloadable Professional Tools is additional functionality for the Scenario Editor. Once added, these new tools allow users to create immersive and adventurous activities as well as recreate complex real world operations

see here: http://www.railsimulator.com/about-rail-simulator

Ahsan:)

Last edited:
OMG! I'm impressed with the tools for creating a route! I think Auran's is a lot easier to just follow but it's impressive. Auran has them beat with track side object placement though as I don't see why you would need to change the angle of a signal instead of having angle with the track as it does now with TRS though the ability to move thing close manually would be nice.

The thing that I am most impressed with is how you build a train station! I really think Kuju stole that idea from me because I've asked Auran for it scene TRS SP2 w/ passenger support. I wish the video kept going though till the train got to the station as I would've like to have seen if passengers were on the station. I really wish Auran had went that route with station placement in someway. I also thought the bridge placement was cool but the added step seemed un-needed unless it allows you use ANY track with ANY bridge instead of what we have now with TRS/ TC.

I wouldn't mind giving a try but from what I've seen in the video they really did take alot of what Auran has done and improved it in a way Auran should going forward only time will tell going forward.

Oh BTW the link to the forum with screenshots is not working.

Back