TS2010 Session making competition - feedback

I have checked all the boxcars in Andrew's train and it is the three NP boxcars that are "overloaded". They are each carrying 256 goods and weigh in at 357 tons each compared with 26 tons for all the other loaded boxcars. So I would suggest these are the ones that need replacing.

Most interesting, on my computer, only one of the three NP cars shows as loaded and it is the 13th car behind the locomotive. It does in fact have a load of 256 general-goods. And Andrew has no trouble getting up to speed and to the yard on time. I guess this is why we love Trainz.

Hope you enjoy the session.

David

Most interesting, on my computer, only one of the three NP cars shows as loaded and it is the 13th car behind the locomotive. It does in fact have a load of 256 general-goods. And Andrew has no trouble getting up to speed and to the yard on time. I guess this is why we love Trainz.

Hope you enjoy the session.

David

David,

It might be because I have altered the company name on some of the boxcars and I know your CMTMsys config file uses this tag to assign some destinations and load status. When I replaced the 3 NP boxcars all the destinations of the three trains on the route changed as did their load status. In the end I replaced Andrew's locomotive with an SD40 and now he has no problem pulling away and the destinations are set as in the original session.

When I downloaded your most recent version from your post no 233 it told me I was missing the asset couple at trackmark, the earlier verion did not show any missing assets. This turned out to be the reason for the red dot error and missing trains from the portals

Great session, I am sure it will keep me occupied for a long time trying to finish it in the least moves.

Good luck in the competition

I submitted two sessions last week. One is up- the CN Holly Subdivision Pontiac Yard Ops. There seem to be some problems with it - mainly that all the driver commands used do not automatically show and download as dependencies.

Quick fix for this - add the KUIDs of anything Trainz doesn't download by default to the KUID table of the session.

There is also a driver command that is not on the DLS. It is thackalane's WaitUntilV2. I thought he was going to upload V2, but I guess he is busy with other things. Can I submit his revision for posting to the DSL or must that only come from him?

Unless the original is faulty (and in the faulty asset repair process), no, you can't upload it. He has to.

A driver command dependency that is not available on the DLS would disqualify the session. You may wish to modify the session to avoid this command.

The second session I uploaded and which you acknowledged recieving in a PM to me on Feb 17 is the Switching Grogan Loop session for the Downtown Traction Company route. It is nowhere to be found. I got an email stating that the CN Holly Sub session would be on the DLS within 6 hrs, but I never did get an email concerning Switching Grogan Loop. Per your request, consider it mentioned here so you don't miss it.

I didn't receive anything from Terry indicating there was a problem with this file. Can you try uploading it again please?

The ball is in your court.

Content waiting to be processed for:
DapFilesSwitchingGroganLoop.cdp
Date Received: 26th Feb 2011, 00:16:48 (AEST)
Upload Mode: Standard
Waiting to be Processed.

I'll see what I can do about the WaitUntilV2 command. Should have it to you by tomorrow evening.

David

Last edited:
James,

Just so you don't miss this.

Wait_Until_II.cdp
Date Received: 26th Feb 2011, 11:37:08 (AEST)
Upload Mode: Standard
Waiting to be Processed.

With Mike's permission to "Please feel free to what you like with the command", the original has been cloned, modified and is hereby submitted for the DLS. The two improvements are a mouse-over now shows the time for which the driver waits and the wait information is now saved and restored when a session is saved and restored.

David

So, are there any news on the Session Creation Competition ?
We are 1 week past the initial submission deadline now and there's only 3 weeks left for corrections.

Could we be informed about the "shortlist indicating which submissions are under consideration" and their current status please ? (as it was stated here)

I don't mean to stress the judges, but want to make sure my entry is not missed and if there's something wrong with it which needs fixing for the competition, I'd like to know so I can take action.
I'm sure the other entrants are waiting for news about that too.

Tata
Mr.Jingles

We are 1 week past the initial submission deadline now and there's only 3 weeks left for corrections.

I do apologise for the delay. We're rather busy at N3V at the moment, and we haven't been onto this as fast as we'd like. We will look at the sessions and post the shortlist and current state today.

The shortlist is of a total of six sessions, from four creators:

CN Supplies dropoff - CN Holly Subdivision (hert)
Shift Race - Conrail Lincoln Secondary (hert)
Run for the money - CSX Saginaw Subdivision (racertodd)
CN Holly Subdivision Pontiac Yard Ops - CN Holly Subdivision (dap)
Switching Grogan Loop - Downtown Traction Company (dap)
Freight in, freight out - Springfield Industrial District (mr.jingles)

If you aren't in this list, and you think you've entered, please either post here or send me a PM with either a DLS link to the session asset or it's KUID. There's been a lot of SP4 (multiplayer) sessions uploaded for the default routes, so it has been a little more challenging picking through them to find the competition entries than I expected...

Anyway, here are my initial thoughts on the sessions:

CN Supplies dropoff - CN Holly Subdivision (hert)

Immediate issues:

* The HTML file is not listed as a dependency. Add this asset to the KUID table of your session.
* There is a missing dependency:
- <kuid2:46162:60001:9>
This appears to be a newer version of built-in asset that is not available on the DLS. I recommend modifying session to use the older built-in version. You may also wish to contact the creator and ask for the updated version to be uploaded.

Advice:

* Check for successful switching, rather than just arrival at specific locations. Do this by checking for the specific vehicles that should arrive at the trigger in your trigger check rules, and using the consist check rule to verify only those vehicles have arrived.

* Verify the max score has been achieved before recording session complete with the session complete rule. Otherwise, a half-successful attempt will be recorded as a successful completion.

Shift Race - Conrail Lincoln Secondary (hert)

Immediate issues:

* The HTML file is not listed as a dependency. Add this asset to the KUID table of your session.
* There are two missing dependencies:
- <kuid2:86105:60600:2>
- <kuid2:86105:60601:2>
These appear to be newer versions of built-in assets that are not available on the DLS. I recommend modifying session to use the older built-in versions. You may also wish to contact the creator and ask for the updated versions to be uploaded.

Advice:

* Move the 'session complete rule' into the set of rules executed for score equal or over to 850 - otherwise a poor run will be recorded as a successful completion.

Run for the money - CSX Saginaw Subdivision (racertodd)

Immediate issues:

* None found :D

Advice:

* You should check that the setouts are made in the right location. You verify the correct formation of the consist at the end, but you don't appear to check each set-out receives the correct cars, so it appears to be possible to leave the correct cars at the wrong industry. This should be possible by modifying the 'trigger check' rules to check for specific vehicles, and using the consist check rule to verify the correct cars have been separated from the train in each case.

* Add the 'session complete rule' where you display your success page. This allows achievements to be created which require your session to be completed successfully.

Immediate issues:

* DriverCommand <kuid:131986:1004> is not listed as a dependency. Add this asset to the KUID table of your session.
* DriverCommand <kuid2:41009:900005:1> is not listed as a dependency, nor is it on the DLS.
-- I believe the session needs to be modified to use <kuid:32711:100025> instead.

Advice:

* There appears to be nothing that verifies each task is completed successfully. You only verify that the switch engine arrives at the end location at present. You will need to add checking to make sure the various vehicles arrive at the correct locations.

Switching Grogan's Loop - Downtown Traction Company (dap)

Immediate issues:

* Uploading to the DLS failed for as yet unknown reasons. We're investigating this at present. Other than that (which isn't your fault), none found :D

Advice:

* There appears to be nothing that verifies each task is completed successfully. You only verify that the switch engine arrives at the end location at present. You will need to add checking to make sure the various vehicles arrive at the correct locations.

Immediate issues:

* This session really needs proper in-game HTML. The session instructions in the description are reasonable, but need to be turned into a basic HTML asset and added to the session using the 'display HTML pages' rule. Once you've added the HTML asset, don't forget to make sure it's in the KUID table of the session, so it gets downloaded automatically.

Advice:

* Verify that the max score has been achieved before recording session complete with the session complete rule. Otherwise, a half-successful attempt will be recorded as a successful completion.

Immediate issues:

* This session really needs proper in-game HTML. The session instructions in the description are reasonable, but need to be turned into a basic HTML asset and added to the session using the 'display HTML pages' rule. Once you've added the HTML asset, don't forget to make sure it's in the KUID table of the session, so it gets downloaded automatically.

Advice:

* Verify that the max score has been achieved before recording session complete with the session complete rule. Otherwise, a half-successful attempt will be recorded as a successful completion.

Thank you very much for the update, James.
I understand there must be lots of other things to do for Auran / N3V besides this competition and now I can rest assured my entry was not missed. :)

I will be looking into creating a HTML asset for my session, thanks for the advice.
I will post in this thread again when I fixed that issue.

Regarding the "Total Score" advice, I had it thought out so the player can at any time end the session by parking his train at the referenced track near the turntable at any time, no matter if he finished all the shunt moves or not as I don't see it as a requirement for having fun. (and I'm counting the completed tasks separately anyways, so it shows up in the eventual screenshot for scoring comparison)
If this is a necessity, I will of course add that check though.

Tata
Mr.Jingles

Last edited:
I will be looking into creating a HTML asset for my session, thanks for the advice.
I will post in this thread again when I fixed that issue.

If you need any assistance with this, feel free to have a poke at Auran's session HTML in TS2010, or ask here. Even if I don't see it and answer straight away, I'm sure someone can help - we've had several sessions submitted to the competition with HTML :)

The key thing is to make sure that text is represented as actual text, not burned into images.

Regarding the "Total Score" advice, I had it thought out so the player can at any time end the session by parking his train at the referenced track near the turntable at any time, no matter if he finished all the shunt moves or not as I don't see it as a requirement for having fun.

No, it isn't - and I like the idea of being able to 'finish' at different times. However, we would like to think awarding the achievement (which indicates a perfect completion of the session) is for a complete clean run all the way through.

You can award lower percentages of completion with the rule if you want to record something into the achievement system for an early termination, or for a run that wasn't clean.

(and I'm counting the completed tasks separately anyways, so it shows up in the eventual screenshot for scoring comparison)
If this is a necessity, I will of course add that check though.

I wouldn't call it a necessity - but allowing an early termination to achieve a 100% complete achievement doesn't seem like particularly good style to me. I have a feeling QA will agree with me on this, so changing it may be to your advantage in the competition.

James, I updated my session now and uploaded it to the DLS. (as a new version, obsoleting the previous one - New KUID is now "kuid2:46012:100035:2")
It's currently in "processing", so I guess by monday it should be available to you to take another look at it as long as there are no unexpected problems with the upload.

Here is a small changelog of what I've done to help you pick up on the changes :

- Added HTML Asset in Session for easy ingame instruction access
- Added HTML Asset KUID as Dependency to Session for automatic download
- Moved Tasks List from Session Description to HTML Asset
- Shortened Session Description
- Corrected some typing errors in Tasks
- Session completeness check now takes into account the completed tasks, so only a complete and error free run grants the 100% achievement
One thing I am not currently sure of is the achievement system integration.
I tested the session completeness checks as best I could and to me it is working as expected, but I am unable to find any documentation of how to extend the achievements system to get my session listed in there.
I also checked existing sessions which update the achievements system, but either I am missing something or the achievements system has to be updated by Auran to include the session and its progress update.

Another thing I'm currently not so sure of is if we would also need to do the translation to other languages or prepare the HTML asset for it (using string table links instead of plain text in the HTML itself) or if Auran / N3V will take care of that.

Also I hope the way the session ends is ok (the fade out).
If I would kick the player back to the menu screen too, there may be no chance for the player to take a screenshot of the scoring for comparison on the forums. (time taken, speeding seconds, control type, etc.)

Anyways, I guess we'll be back in contact on monday or whenever you get the next chance to look into it. :)

Edit: Strange happenings after uploading - Yesterday it was in "Unprocessed" area and today the upload disappearerd from the "Your Content" Section completely. (It's not in the "Preview Area", "Waiting Area" or "Your Content" area).
I'll try to upload the HTML Asset and the new version of the route separately this time around, hopefully this will work.

Edit: Never mind my upload problem, I didn't realise that even HTML assets require a thumbnail.
Should be on the DLS until Monday now.

Tata
Mr.Jingles

Last edited:
. . .
Switching Grogan's Loop - Downtown Traction Company (dap)

Immediate issues:

* Uploading to the DLS failed for as yet unknown reasons. We're investigating this at present. Other than that (which isn't your fault), none found :D

Advice:

. . .

James,

The upload problem has been resolved and a revised version has been uploaded. The delivery of freight cars is now being monitored through out the session with the number completed displayed on the HUD along with the total number of locomotive moves made. The sessions does not complete unless all 33 cars have been correctly delivered and the engine is returned to the engine shed.

I'll be turning my attention to the CN Holly Sub Pontiac Yard Ops next.

I've noticed that if I have added the HTML to the kuid table and then go back and edit the session, when the session is saved, the HTML entry is deleted from the kuid table. Guess Trainz doesn't like additions to the kuid table.

David

Last edited:
* You should check that the setouts are made in the right location. You verify the correct formation of the consist at the end, but you don't appear to check each set-out receives the correct cars, so it appears to be possible to leave the correct cars at the wrong industry. This should be possible by modifying the 'trigger check' rules to check for specific vehicles, and using the consist check rule to verify the correct cars have been separated from the train in each case.

* Add the 'session complete rule' where you display your success page. This allows achievements to be created which require your session to be completed successfully.
Added consist check rules to verify that the correct cars are setout at each industry. Already had the trigger check rules at each industry looking for the correct cars.
Added the session complete rule.
Uploaded a new version (obsoleting the old one) and it's awaiting approval now.

Todd

One thing I am not currently sure of is the achievement system integration.
I tested the session completeness checks as best I could and to me it is working as expected, but I am unable to find any documentation of how to extend the achievements system to get my session listed in there.

If you've added the 'session complete rule', then that's the most important part. The session can now be used by achievement assets to create achievements.

If you want to create one or more achievement assets as well, the documentation is on the wiki. Have a look around about here and a few of the pages linked from it. Basically you'll need to create an achievement-group asset which lists your session.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as the session has the rule in it, that's the most important part.

Another thing I'm currently not so sure of is if we would also need to do the translation to other languages or prepare the HTML asset for it (using string table links instead of plain text in the HTML itself) or if Auran / N3V will take care of that.
Language translation is generally done when an asset is included in a published release, and the publishers for each region take care of their own language.

In order to make a session compatible with this process, string table links (using the "<font language=generic>" format) are required. It's relatively straightforward to convert from a standard HTML file to one with string table links, but much harder to go from text burned into an image to string table links, so make sure you avoid using images to display text.

If you do put "<font language=generic>" tags in, we will only be judging the sessions in English, so there is no need to head off to a robot translator service of your choice and cut'n'paste possibly dubious foreign language translations in. Chances are robot translations will have to be rewritten if the sessions are accepted into a published release anyway.

On the other hand, if you do know one or more foreign languages, and want to write additional strings for those languages, feel free to put them in - this goes for any content you want to release. The only thing we really don't like is putting foreign languages in the English string table...

I've noticed that if I have added the HTML to the kuid table and then go back and edit the session, when the session is saved, the HTML entry is deleted from the kuid table. Guess Trainz doesn't like additions to the kuid table.

Surveyor re-writes the kuid table from scratch each time to try and cut down on 'bloat' - things that were used in the map/session at one time, but have been removed.

Unfortunately, in this case the 'display HTML pages' rule isn't listing the HTML asset automatically, so surveyor is removing it (assuming it's no longer used), so you will need to add it back each time you upload.

If you've added the 'session complete rule', then that's the most important part. The session can now be used by achievement assets to create achievements.

The session has multiple "session complete" rules for various percentual stages of completeness, so I think it should be ok.
However I may not be able to look into creating and testing achievement assets on time before the end of the competition I'm afraid.

In order to make a session compatible with this process, string table links (using the "<font language=generic>" format) are required. It's relatively straightforward to convert from a standard HTML file to one with string table links, but much harder to go from text burned into an image to string table links, so make sure you avoid using images to display text.

The reason for my question was because I put all the english text directly into the HTML, not using the strings method at all.
I could update the HTML asset to use strings instead and also do a german translation, but if you say this will be done by some localization team anyways I'm not sure if I have to do it in the first place.

Either way is fine by me, I just like to know if the HTML asset qualifies as it is right now or if I need to update it to use the strings. (Specifics how to do it were not mentioned before and while it is working the way it is, it may not be the way it was expected to be done) :)

If there are any more errors in the session or the HTML asset please let me know so I can take action. (There are still 10 more days until the final deadline, so one last update should be manageable by me)

Tata
Mr.Jingles

Last edited:
CN Holly Subdivision Pontiac Yard Ops Session revised

Immediate issues:

* DriverCommand <kuid:131986:1004> is not listed as a dependency. Add this asset to the KUID table of your session.
* DriverCommand <kuid2:41009:900005:1> is not listed as a dependency, nor is it on the DLS.
-- I believe the session needs to be modified to use <kuid:32711:100025> instead.

Advice:

James,

Dependency isues have been fixed. Verification of task completion and accuracy has been implimented. HUD now shows when a train leaves the route and whether there were any wrong cars in the train. Session will complete if 6 trains have left the route with no wrong cars and the engine is driven to the turntable. Assets are now on the DLS.

David

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that we're a little tied up in the office at the moment but we haven't forgotten you. We're looking forward to chasing things up in the competition as soon as we get a breather.

cheers,

chris

Just wanted to let you know that we're a little tied up in the office at the moment but we haven't forgotten you. We're looking forward to chasing things up in the competition as soon as we get a breather.

Thanks for not letting us sit in the dark, the heads up info is much appreciated.
As none of us 4 entrants have started an uprise yet I'd say we are patient enough to wait out the judges decisions. :)

Anybody of the forum oldies remember the good old soon(tm) running gag ?
That always brings back good memories and a smile to my face.

Tata
Mr.Jingles

Back