Major Tri State Area Project

Any reason why your GCT is a fictional layout and not the glorious two-level station we all know and love?

Over the past several months, I have been aiming to make the route so accurate, that just about everything along the line had to be right. Lately, I have been thinking, that somewhat takes the fun out of route creation so I then thought, not everything in the route has to be that accurate. Having the two level Grand Central would be nice, but constructing that in Trainz would kind of take the fun out of the route building so to make the route building a bit more fun, I decided to turn the terminal into something that would look similar to Grand Central. My Penn Station is also a bit fictional. But other than that, every other portion of the route looks close to it's real life counterpart. I like to take creative license so I'm paying more attention to my creative side.

Last edited:
Some more progress shots. This Grand Central is pretty much complete. Sometime down the line, I may add some other things to it. Even though this is not the real Grand Central Terminal, I find this terminal is easy on the fps and looks similar to the upper level of Grand Central Terminal.

Over the past several months, I have been aiming to make the route so accurate, that just about everything along the line had to be right. Lately, I have been thinking, that somewhat takes the fun out of route creation so I then thought, not everything in the route has to be that accurate. Having the two level Grand Central would be nice, but constructing that in Trainz would kind of take the fun out of the route building so to make the route building a bit more fun, I decided to turn the terminal into something that would look similar to Grand Central. My Penn Station is also a bit fictional. But other than that, every other portion of the route looks close to it's real life counterpart. I like to take creative license so I'm paying more attention to my creative side.

This is the wall that I continually run into when building my NYCTA routes. Good for you though, bro, for doing an excellent job on this route and realizing that not everything can be 100% the way it is in real life. I'm learning that now doing the (7) line--it really does take away the fun. But for all of your effort and determination, when it's released only party-crashers and @$$holes will nit pick. I think you're doing a phenomenal job!

-A :wave:

This is the wall that I continually run into when building my NYCTA routes. Good for you though, bro, for doing an excellent job on this route and realizing that not everything can be 100% the way it is in real life. I'm learning that now doing the (7) line--it really does take away the fun. But for all of your effort and determination, when it's released only party-crashers and @$$holes will nit pick. I think you're doing a phenomenal job!

Well Said!:D

Began a little work on the Port Jervis line. Just a couple of tracks and some trees for now. Experimenting with the CL trees and some of the good ol paper board trees. The end of a freight train moving through Suffern.

Excellent stuff as always. I was looking for some good trees to use (the 3D trees, while aesthetically pleasing and life-like) have really killed framerates when I'm going between 111th & Willets Point on the 7. Besides the CL trees, any suggestions?

Excellent stuff as always. I was looking for some good trees to use (the 3D trees, while aesthetically pleasing and life-like) have really killed framerates when I'm going between 111th & Willets Point on the 7. Besides the CL trees, any suggestions?

Sorry for the late reply Acelejalde. Those 3D trees definitely are like like and make for a nice detailed picture. I consider the CL trees, a cross or a hybrid between the old paperboard trees and the newer 3D trees. As an alternative, if you still want to use nice looking 3D trees, try going for Pofig's trees. They are nice and so far from my experience with the 3D trees, they are not fps killers. If you do not want to use 3D trees, I would probably go for the paperboard trees from the greenery website or the JVC trees from the DLS. I just went on JointedRail, and they recently released a nice set of paperboard treez that are seasonable which is really good. They are called grazzy treez. I just downloaded them and they look really nice. Specifically for the Port Jervis line, I use alot of different CL trees and there will be some of the older paperboard trees and the grazzy treez seen on some parts of the route.

Thanks Jose.

Last edited:
Wait, are those the AMTZ p42's? i have them and they are missing two kuids. How did you fix them? Thanks!

Small glimpse of something I am working on in the Major Tri State Area Project. Here is a a 5 car R142A set sitting on the express track at Allerton Avenue. This is a Wakefield Bound 2 express train. The next stop is Gun Hill Road. Stand clear of the closing doors please :). Acelejalde, would you know if a map exists that may show me where each subway signal is placed along the elevated portions of the #2 subway line? So far, I have completed all tracks and scenery between Gun Hill Road and Bronx Park East and I found a video that shows an RFW cab ride of the 2 train on the express track from 149th st-233rd st, so I used that as a reference for placing signals on the express track and the local uptown track.

Last edited:
@Malikrthr: I do have a full set of official signal maps. I have to ask if I'm allowed to release that type of information though. If I'm unable to, I can add signals to the file and send it back. PM me.

A couple of screenshots using my new monitor.

Here, we have an R62 3 train on the express track bound for the 239th street yards, and above on the flyover, we have an R142 5 set bound for 180th street due to weekend track work taking place between East 180th street and 149th street Grand Concourse. Shuttle buses are running between each station though.

Extremely rare catch, Amtrak P42DC bound for Springfield, Massachusetts spotted on the Harlem/New Haven line. There was a problem in Penn Station so a Metro North locomotive towed this train out of Grand Central until it reached 125th street. After that, this Amtrak train ran on it's own power.

Excellent work Malikrthr! I sent you a reply to your inbox about the question you sent me a few weeks back.

-A

Back