That Confounded BLINDING Yellow Compass

Yes Alt+U, and Alt+Y do work to temporarly turn all contextual information off ... but then in that mode, in surveyor you can not tug and pull on track, nor place and rotate odjects ... you must press esc in order the get out of walk/fly ... so this method is kind of useless.

Alt+O turns off Spline points ... I wish could type in my own KB Command line in Settings/Keyboard, and make my own custom line, such as: Alt+C to temporarily turn off the Compass.

Here it is not so as bright as it usually actually is, but it truely does get in the way, just as the Blasted Obtrusive Engineers Seat ( I found that TGA, what color makes a black seat invisable ? White )?

SignsInTheGauge.jpg

I must have 4000 turnouts ... and thousands more to lay !

So little time ... so many turnouts !

Last edited:
If you zoom in close enough, the compass disappears. I have the following line in my trainzoptions file :-surveyorfov=30

I was under the impesiion that: -surveyorfov=55 was default, and the absolute minimum setting, and anything below -surveyorfov= 55 was unrecognisable ... and -surveyorfov=185 seems to max out (fish eye).

I had no idea that -surveyorfov=0 to -surveyorfov=054 was achivable

Last edited:
Back on topic, while in Surveyor the compass has some utility (though it should be more discreet) it´s
useless and very annoying in Driver while in #4 view (free roaming)
There should be indeed a way to disable it.

raildumper_20110630_0002.jpg

I'm thinking that you guys are getting a bit too picky:)

In my T12 Quick Drive, the compass is ONLY on screen when I am pushing the right mouse button......if I stop pushing the button, the compass disappears.

And when in "drive session" I have to be in "free roam" to see the above behavior.

DaveL

Last edited:
I jut checked -surveyorfov=30 is identical to -surveyorfov=55 ... any lower that -surveyorfov=55 is not possible.

Good morning everyone.

Apologies for the minor bump. I’m still catching up on forum posts after a break.

Try –surveyorfov=45

I’ve done a bit of experimentation on this Trainzoptions feature and found that figure gave me the closest view. It is possible to edit the figure to a lower one, but that just seems to give a slightly more magnified view, equivalent to the -55 setting.

The compass will disappear in closer views as others have said. If you want it to illuminate you can turn it on briefly. This is useful when getting in directly overhead to pick up tiny objects which have been closely placed very close to other assets, but cannot be seen (tiny billboard wild flowers next to a beer bottle spring to mind). Clicking the RMB makes the compass briefly light up like a torch, making the asset more visible.

Cheers
Casper

Last edited:
Hrmphh – apologies!

Further my previous post in this thread I’ve done a little more research into the effect of the low end figures in the Trainzoption -surveyorfov= which I should have checked prior to that post.

The closest view is with the setting at 30.

f6d5aefc.jpg

My apologies for the error.

As penance here is a table showing what I can see on my PC.

I set up a ruler on the baseboard to fully check the number of scale metres visible at full Surveyor zoom-in after changing to the various TrainzOptions settings shown in this list:

55 > 30.0m
45 > 24.0m
35 > 18.6m
32 > 17.0m
31 > 16.4m
30 > 16.0m
29 > 24.6m
28 > 24.6m
25 > 24.6m
10 > 24.6m

Thirty is clearly the closest you can get. Lower figures can be entered, but increase the image view to a constant width regardless of the number.

The compass won’t show when you’re in this close, unless you click on the RMB. Machine gunning the RMB will help keep it illuminated.

Unfortunately for Cascaderailroad, the compass at –surveyorfov=30 setting will appear extremely large.

I’ve left a crate of beer next to the train!

Cheers
Casper

b9c0f345.jpg

Cascaderailroad:

I sent you a PM a while back about how I got the data.ja file in TS2010 extracted and thus was able to modify the compass.

Once you have access to the TGA texture files for the compass, you must change them in your image-editing program.

Please remember to keep the original data.ja file in a safe place so that you can revert back to the original configuration if necessary.

Regards,

Zachary.

Last edited:
I refer to it quite a bit when I'm building routes. It helps to know which way you're facing before you lay down miles of track. This is especially true when you are making modules to join with each other. Nothing gnashes teeth more than hoping to fit two modules together and find out that one is oriented N/S and the other E/W.
Bill

It also helps to orient your route so that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west!
:)Irving

Somehow I guess I'm missing something here. I find the compass very usefull.

If you notice, the compass ALWAYS appears dead center in your screen, always.

If your trying to center something or in driver, setting up a screen shot, it allows
positioning dead center every time. Very usefull in centering one asset over another,
or centering a waterspout or coal chute over the track or centering anything over
anything in surveyor Just IMO...

-AL

The vertical compass spike is also a good marker to see where Surveyor is viewing the surrounding terrain.

I find it really useful for all sorts of reasons.

Like AL says, the compass icon is always placed dead centre of screen as you manoeuvre around the terrain using RMB and mouse movement. Wherever it stops will be the start point for AltWALK (Alt-Y in newer versions) when you want to wander around the landscape. Quite useful for taking screenshots.

When zoomed right out the compass icon is very small, even at a modest -surveyorfov=65. (Tip: PageUp/Down keys give a smoother zoom than the mouse wheel which, on my mouse, spans the range in eleven jerky steps).

This is a reduced image, to keep within the CoC, but even at full size the compass at the centre of the screen is still pretty tiny, although fairly visible in yellow.

I’m not convinced that a darker coloured compass would be very easy to spot at full zoom-out.

Cheers
Casper

7251232c.jpg

Back