This thread details how to manually update DirectX 9.0C. For the automated version, see my DXInstallHelper thread (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showt...XInstallHelper))
ce this seems to be a fairly common problem (especially with TS2009/TS2010 users), I thought I would write this thread to give a one-stop place with all the relevant information for updating DirectX (which is required for TS2009 SP3 and later versions)
If you are using Windows 7 (and possibly Vista) you may need to install the Redist version. If you are running XP, you can install either (although the websetup version may work with Vista/7, it's not guaranteed)
Also note that if you have DirectX 10 or higher installed, you need to install the Redist version as the websetup version will say that a later version is installed)
If one method fails, try the other method.
Websetup version (reccomended for most users)
This is the easiest version to install, as long as you have an internet connection. The file is at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...a-9b6652cd92a3
To install this version:
1. Click the link above, then click Download on the page that appears.
2. A File Download box will appear: click Run (you will probably only need the file once, but you can click Save if you want to save a copy - you will then need to double-click it to run it)
3. An installation wizard will then appear: click to accept the license agreement then click Next.
3a. Due to a change in a recent version, you may encounter a screen relating to the Bing bar. Untick the option for this then click Next.
4. The next screen will then inform of what will be downloaded/installed - click Next.
5. The update will start automatically: click Finish when it is done. The update is now complete.
Redist version - Recommended for Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 systems and for users that have not yet installed DirectX 9.0C(Also use if you have DirectX 10/11 installed)
This can be downloaded from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...11&clcid=0x409.
This one is a bit more complex, but may be needed if the computer running Trainz does not have an internet connection. You will need a system with an internet connection to download the file, then a USB stick or CD to copy it to the system running Trainz.
This version can also be used to save a copy of the DirectX files in case of a system re-install (be aware though, this version does not update itself so you may have to check the link every few months for updates.
To install this version:
1. Click the link above (just under the Redist version heading), then click Download on the page that appears.
2. A File Download box will appear:Click Save then save it to the desktop (it is nearly 100MB worth of file, so it may take a while on a slow connection).
--The next instruction (step 2a) only applies if your Trainz system is not the system with an internet connection--
2a.If this is not the Trainz system, you will need to copy the DirectX redistributable just downloaded over to the Trainz system at this point.
3.Create a folder on the desktop of the system running Trainz (which may or may not be the same system with the internet connection) for the DirectX installation files.
4.Run the file, selecting the folder you just created when asked where you want to extract the files to (make sure it's to the folder you created)
5.Open the folder you created, then run the dxsetup.exe file inside (there will be a load of .cab files, a few other files, and the dxsetup.exe file)
6. An installation wizard will then appear: click to accept the license agreement then click Next.
7. The next screen will then inform of what will be installed - click Next.
8. The update will start automatically: click Finish when it is done. The update is now complete.
If there is any information missing or incorrect, let me know.
Note: It is a good idea to restart your system after updating Directx - it's a core part of the operating system and it may not recognise the update straight away
Also, when the update is complete,you can delete the DirectX installation file(s) if you want to (dxwebsetup if it's the web installer version, or the folder you created if using the redist version (+ the redist self-extracting file))
EDIT: When using the links, please avoid using copy and paste as the links may not work correctly if pasted elsewhere (it's due to the way the forum handles some links). If you want to open it in a new window, right-click the link and choose Open in New Window or Open in New Tab.
EDIT: Latest Versions are:
Websetup version: June 2010/April 2011
Redist version: June 2010/April 2011 - release date is April 2011, but the page says June 2010
NOTE: I have collated the DirectX information with some of my other advice on my new Trainz Information site - see http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=75402 for the address.