Australian screenshots

Aaron you can swear anytime you like mate.

You're exaggerating somewhat - It's not really brilliant, but thanks anyway. It's only as good as the assets I've got to work with; and as I remember it. I've been away from Sydney for 14 years, so a few things might get lost trying to bring it all together.

Aaahh! There's something about the Sydney rail network that makes you want to do these things.

Cheers,
Roy

I mean it mate, I recongised the area instantly. You've used what you've got brilliantly in my eyes, captures the feel of the area. :)
Is it possible to get a few shots from and around the platforms?

Last edited:
A little more effort into Circular Quay today, made a few changes to items I wasn't happy with.
@ Aaron: Thanks mate, for all the encouragement. Here's a few shots around the Quay,...

2016_07_26_185354.jpg

This one looking down from the Cahill Expressway
2016_07_26_185443.jpg

From the Eastern tunnel portal to Circular Quay.
2016_07_26_193527.jpg

A few girls in mini skirts order drinks at the outdoor coffee & juice bar outside Customs House.
2016_07_26_193706.jpg

A bunch of animated 3dZUG (tourists) chat together, before boarding their coach.
2016_07_26_193848.jpg

The camera-man spots a few people sunbaking on the lawn during their lunch-break. Everything happens down at the Quay.
2016_07_26_215156.jpg

Two Hollywood 'stars' aboard their cruise ship enjoying Sydney Harbour.
2016_07_26_185536.jpg

Back to work. Still heaps to do.
Cheers,
Roy

Wow Roy. Thats magnificent work, real artistry. In the first shot, what roads are they? It's rare to see an intersection like that with the lines on the correct side.
Keep up the great work, it's real knock your socks off stuff.
cheers,
Graeme

Wow Roy. Thats magnificent work, real artistry. In the first shot, what roads are they? It's rare to see an intersection like that with the lines on the correct side.
Keep up the great work, it's real knock your socks off stuff.
cheers,
Graeme

Hi Graeme, The roads are 'Boulevard' and there are Australian intersections available to match.
Here's a short video which include some of the animated 3DZUG RealPeople by Matthias Gose.

Cheers,
Roy

@Graeme & Baz Thanks for that, I thought it might be the case that he was having a bash at Moe instead of at Norm but if there was constructive criticism to be had I wanted it.

Hi,

I Started a 70ft duel gauge turntable years ago but lost interest in building it as there was only a couple of people interested in it at the time and I was only going to build it location specific, I can go back to the project, I've also got VR versions of the 2ft 6in tracks, they've got baked textures, Zec's Ballast texture, fish plates, sleeper plates and spike details if you want to try them out.

<KUID2:404079:38189:1> VR 60lb 2ft6in Mesh-Lib
<KUID2:404079:38190:1> VR 60lb 2ft6in - Embankment
<KUID2:404079:38191:1> VR 60lb 2ft6in - No Embankment
<KUID2:404079:38192:2> VR 60lb 2ft6in - No Ballast
<KUID2:404079:38193:2> VR 60lb 2ft6in - Rail Only

Oh yes, they look quite as good as pencil42's 30in track IMO and have the added benefit of being slightly lower thus making narrowgauge's switch machines look better. The only drawback I'm seeing is the lack of built in end caps. Have you considered modernizing your track? Maybe going procedural?

I was a bit worried about the ballast mismatch but this seems to solve it with matching sleepers to boot. Very nice.

I have a photo of the turntable somewhere, when I find it I'll post how it looks, I was also in the stage of building 2 nA but lost interest.... lol

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q97/Azervich/na_zpsbc7b4c39.png

EDIT:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q97/Azervich/table_zps3r7mzdrx.jpg~original

Cheers.

So far as I can tell based on the routes in trainz there were only the two dual gauge turntables one at Moe and the other at Colac. If you want to spend the time I'll use them otherwise I can live with what I've got. That's a lovely photograph BTW made me wish for a Fosters. :hehe:
(I'll have to settle for another Dos Equis) All wood construction on the roundhouse apparently. Interesting that the bays were apparently not duel gauge.

You pointing out your VR track got me wondering what other VR related assets I'd missed. What I found explains why there are so few period VR routes and why ntesdorf chose not to use them. The first thing I looked at were the broad gauge buffers, hum... three different ones from different periods, OK, but also three different buffer lights from three periods but different periods than the buffers... OK... So place the buffer, move it about, turn it around. place the light, move it around (darn grabbed the wrong bit), turn it around (darn grabbed the wrong bit again). Done. Now how many of these things do I have to do? Whew good thing this is a narrow gauge route.

Then I got to the trestles...

Now I have the greatest respect for anyone making anything for trainz. After years, decades of trying to learn modeling in four different game universes I have to concede that I have no talent. And I greatly appreciate the months and years that have gone into creating these prototypical assets. But, goodness, they are difficult to use. I was pleased to find a bare deck and, after a bit of experimenting.

Not bad.

OK now for the pilings, wait I have to place each piling individually? OK... Well at least they snap to the deck spline. Then I moved one and it disappeared. What? Tried again... disappeared. Finally it dawned on me to go to wireframe. There they were, half a dozen pilings snapped to everything within a hundred feet, grass splines, fence splines, embankment splines you name it they found it except for the deck, of course. And I had 40 or 50 bridges to do on this route alone? That explains why ntesdorf used shortline2's trestles and went to all the work of grafting on safety boxes, added platforms to make the safety boxes look right with the trestle, and overlaying the 36 gauge rails with other rail only rails. All that was easier than using the VR stuff. Whew.

For now I ain't touching that. (Would it have been so hard and so not prototypical to have the pilings built into the deck spline?)

Anyway, now to backtrack to the point where I first replaced the NG track and re-replace it with your track Azervich. Thanks!

Last edited:
Well done Norm, very nice. I can't build at all, so i admire each and every one of you that do and share for all to enjoy.
Cheers,
Baz.

Well done Norm, very nice. I can't build at all, so i admire each and every one of you that do and share for all to enjoy.
Cheers,
Baz.
Well, thanks but I really didn't do anything. The trestle segment in the last shot is simply ntesdorf's track laid into victrainz's deck spline in surveyor. Work on the overall route is more a matter of using the "Bulk Asset Replacement" tool and cleaning up any messes. Not really building anything. I "can't build at all" too. :D

@Baz, if you only have 4gb ram then upgrading that to 8 or more will make a huge difference. I have just uppped my laptop to 12gb and TANE runs smoothly on mid range settings, but it also depends on what graphics card you have. Mine is a 2gb nVidia 820m so pretty low end and only a i5 processor.

Hi Graeme, the computer i'm running is a quad core with 16gb of ram, 64 bit with a RMD Radeon R7 240 - 2gb with a 2tb hard drive. If anything I would say it is probably the RMD graphics that is letting me down, not sure to be honest.
It runs it but I have to turn off the internet, virus protection etc and have the settings on low. I ran your route, nice one by the way, but settings to low to fully appreciate it, being the HD textures etc.
Cheers mate,
Baz.

Last edited:
Hey All
The past few days I've been making a small HO scale shunting layout, in reality, it would be 1m x 0.5m. It's kinda based off a more overgrown Rozelle yard. ( Ignore the road that defies physics please ).

8a10a516fa8ecbb5764c33bf0f125f55.jpg

146bf77dcc5135fc912a2679fe886a3c.jpg

Regards

Nice work Hewi thanks for providing me a couple of screensaver's mate. The amount of time it took to make that god dam loco have just been re-paid in full thank you.
Mick.

@Baz, if you only have 4gb ram then upgrading that to 8 or more will make a huge difference. I have just uppped my laptop to 12gb and TANE runs smoothly on mid range settings, but it also depends on what graphics card you have. Mine is a 2gb nVidia 820m so pretty low end and only a i5 processor.

Hi Graeme, the computer i'm running is a quad core with 16gb of ram, 64 bit with a RMD Radeon R7 240 - 2gb with a 2tb hard drive. If anything I would say it is probably the RMD graphics that is letting me down, not sure to be honest.
It runs it but I have to turn off the internet, virus protection etc and have the settings on low. I ran your route, nice one by the way, but settings to low to fully appreciate it, being the HD textures etc.
Cheers mate,
Baz.
Hi Baz, your system seems to be way better than mine, have you tried updating the graphic card drivers to the latest AMD ones? It might help. Apart from that, keep your eye on Gumtree etc for someone selling a nVidia GeForce card, should be a few popping up now that the 10 series is out. Thanks for the compliments on the route too.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Some basic scenes are starting to take place around Appleton Docks but man i hate scenery. Texturing in trainz is the worst.

Keep at it Jamie, I would suggest laying out all your scenery first then texturing a bit at a time, a bit like a coloring book. The worst is laying out hundreds of houses by copy/paste then having to adjust them to suit the streets, like I'm doing in Wodonga now.
Appleton Dock is coming along really well by the looks of it. Keep up the great work, it'll all be worth it in the finish.
cheers
Graeme

roy you did it again OMG ( Drool ) after seen the youtube video you did of Circular Quay its looking great
whats the next station your working on next after yhou have done Circular Quay ..??

James

Thanks for the replies on the layout guys :), H222 would both those weathered NR's and grain wagons be personal reskins?

Regards

Back