N3V misleading Advertising.

iannz

N3V's most recent mailout is ambiguous advertising in the least. It asks if you want to download more than 16,000 locos for free, and suggests in order to do so, you need to purchase a First Class Ticket to do it.

This of course is total BS.
1. You don't need a FCT to access and download from the DLS, and suggesting you do is misleading advertising.
2. If you did go and purchase a FCT, then your downloads are not free, it has cost you money.

If it had of been part of the second sentence which includes "at lightning fast speeds" (although it is far from it and that in itself is misleading), then at least that's partially correct as it is faster to download with a FCT - which is in fact the only reason for buying a FCT (and not having a data limit), NOT what N3V is suggesting you need it for (to download 16,000 locos or access 388,000 assets).

Sort out your wording N3V, you're not monkeys, you know what you're doing and you know it is purposely ambiguous in order to create sales, if it was NZ, the commerce dept would be having a field day about now.

After you purchase the FCT, then you can download everything, those are the free things. That is all I get from it. I wonder more about the speed, as I see it is pretty slow, like it has always been.

No it isn't.

#firstworldproblems

There's nothing wrong with the wording. You can download them for free now, and when you buy an FCT, you're paying for faster speeds, not the locos themselves.

And lightning speed is subjective.

Also depends in Australia if you are connected to the NBN (National Broadband Network) as to how fast your speed may be.
And after all nothing is truly FREE - other than you are free to download free items on the DLS.
Membership or paying your fee does have benefits after all.

Actually, the first aspect is heavily dependent on what version you have. If you only have unsupported versions registered you have to have a FCT to download.

Shane

1. You don't need a FCT to access and download from the DLS, and suggesting you do is misleading advertising.
2. If you did go and purchase a FCT, then your downloads are not free, it has cost you money.

Hi,

Just took a glance, and nothing's wrong here:
http://www.simulatorcentral.com/index.php/first-class-tickets.html

Obviously, the whole idea is catering around the DLS ... it just says faster speeds will make life easier, then slow speeds! --if you read between the lines!

No different then any other advertisement tabloid or commercial ... it's a service N3V providing, not a privilege -- after all, you can still get your hands on those goodies for free!:hehe:

Footnote - this has been discuss, and Tony has said, paraphrasing "How other way can we pay for the servers that host the DLS items, then to charge for high speeds" ....

That's just capitalism! :wave:

Kind regards
Ish

Lightning move at approximately 220,000,000 miles per hour, so "lightning fast" is probably not the proper description. That's approaching 1/3 the speed of light. I doubt if a server can handle that. :hehe:

Bill

Lightning move at approximately 220,000,000 miles per hour, so "lightning fast" is probably not the proper description. That's approaching 1/3 the speed of light. I doubt if a server can handle that. :hehe:

Bill

Way back I remember going from 300 baud to a 1200 baud modem, and it felt like lightning speed. Everything is relative, I suppose.

John

Wow 1200 Baud John C ! The fastest we ever go was 600 if we were lucky !

and to the OP Iannz:

What is the point of your post ? There is nothing, more or less in the promotional material than is to be expected from any other marketing department, these days, like it or not, everything is focused on profit and scant regard is paid to employees or customers.

Such is life.

Chris M

If it is @ 7800 miles to 10,000 miles to Australia ... if the first download byte takes 1 second to get to your PC ... and you are getting 500kbs ... That would be a speed of: Hmmm ... Oh, forget it ... that's pretty darn quick !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk2YRpLnmdU

It used to take settlers 2 weeks to get from Philadelphia to St Louis

Freedom, is not Free !

Last edited:
you know, if I saw this:
c4ViyVl.png

and I'd never used trainz before or was so new I didn't know how to use the DLS, I would assume FCTs are required for access to download all that stuff. It certainly seems to be implying that you need an FCT. The wording on this seems really poor to me, I agree with OP here. My 2 cents.

Cheers,
SM

Technically, you can download the 16,000 locomotives without buying an FCT.
TRY IT.
With normal download speed and a daily download limit, it would take years.
Possibke, but totally impractical.
Purchase of the FCT gives you the download speed to make it practicable.
in today's world, you nearly always pay to save time, I.e. Taking the tollway.

and to the OP Iannz:

What is the point of your post ? There is nothing, more or less in the promotional material than is to be expected from any other marketing department, these days, like it or not, everything is focused on profit and scant regard is paid to employees or customers.

Such is life.

Chris M

Well, said Chris --

And like Tony said a while back, the servers are not free ... someone needs to pay to keep all of that content alive! At least, you can still get your content, it would just take a while to download!

What I don't get is, at one time a life-time first class ticket was introduceD, and it was like that for a long time -- I have to guess that most did not take advantage of that offer ... glad I did! LOL ... :hehe:

Ish

For those that haven't quite figured it out yet, income from selling FCT's helps keep N3V doors open. (As I call it, "helps keep the wolfs away from the back door")!!! I mean, we do want to keep the wolf away, don't we???

Personally, I haven't got any problem with this particular bit of their advertising. A FCT ticket being discounted down to the equivalent of .47c a day. wow. IMHO, that very reasonable for what speed you can download & what content you've got access too...

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
...if it was NZ, the commerce dept would be having a field day about now.
Really? If so, which makes me really wonder, then I will place NZ on my bucket list somewhere below North Vietnam and Cambodia...

It seems that the folks at N3V can't seem to do anything right anymore...

I read the advertisement, and my only complaint was that they could have at least added, "...and if you act now, we will throw in a set of Japanese Ginsu knives absolutely free...all you need to do is pay extra to cover the shipping and handling...";)

... I will place NZ on my bucket list somewhere below North Vietnam and Cambodia...;)

I once spent an hour in NZ (a long story). I am sure that most of the people there are friendly and, I would hope, less "literal" than the OP!

... then I will place NZ on my bucket list somewhere below North Vietnam and Cambodia...

Then you will miss one of the most unspoiled and beautiful places left on this planet. I've been there several times.

Vietnam is also a popular tourist destination these days. Perhaps you intended North Korea which definitely isn't on my bucket list.

I didn't see anything wrong with the ad although I did wonder if there were actually 16,000 locos on the DLS.

Edit: I just checked and there are nearly 23,000.

Last edited:
So wait a second, advertising is used to sell you things you do not actually need? Mind, blown.

Also, someone seems to miss the concept of a bucket list. It is not a list of everything a person could potentially do and placing those things in order of your own personal taste.

Next thing you know someone will sue Starbucks for putting to much ice in their iced coffee drinks and you don't get the proper amount of liquid. I think 5 million would be about right to correct the error. :hehe::hehe:

Back