Illinois Railroad Museum W.I.P Thread

trainman7616

Western Maryland Addict
Hi all,

Decided to start a random project about 3 weeks ago with a few friends. We felt as though there werent many railroad museum based routes/maps, so we want to change that. So to start with is the Illinois Railroad Museum in Union, Illinois.

Members of this project are listed below

Trainman7616
Lego207
Petrama25
Vinnie264

To start, here are some shots of developement so far including some reskins and custom projects for it.

The lower part of the yard showing Yards 13 and 14, Storage Barn areas 10 and 11, Building and goods shed area.
04c2a0458092fbb03e2a3d7062152429.jpg

This shot shows the area of the display barn area and Electric car shop along with the East Union Station and gift shop areas.
9d1f689090a50687ab55836eccd50adc.jpg

Reverse view of the display barns
c96e84a0884c62d56653a5fbf692fe22.jpg

General overview shot
14625c4ab16ea35a1da4dddc7ea5d7c2.jpg

Following locomotive projects.

Chicago South Shore & South Bend EF4 #800 class by Petrama25, original mesh by JosheH
cbc6aeb97284b34193d281a125412967.jpg

Milwaukee Road Northern #265 by trainman7616
dfd20a4c877358829c24ec03e7b64396.png

CB&Q #504 SD9 standin for the SD24 - Reskinned by Vinnie264
8ea6bf45f4d0820e89d4adbbae39252b.jpg

Buildings are currently only standin for the time being. High quality buildings will be made in the future. Current standin buildings by Petrama25.

Track work was done by trainman7616, and the paths were done by petrama25. We dont know when this project will be complete, but when it is, it will be availible to all to download.

Last edited:
Tough Switchwork

Some of the switch work on this was tricky to get but I think it turned out good, considering the switches are really close together and some are based coming off turns which are not always easy to make smoothly.

Tracks leading into Display Barns 6, 7, and 8.
4786ffc22d4a5af88dae30087500fddf.jpg

Last edited:
Lets stick to screenshots, shall we?

// Moderator-mode
Please keep this screenshot topic about screenshots.

There is no need for a fight; both persons / groups can do their own thing.

Regards,
O
Part-time moderator, but prefers to be screenshot appreciator.

Edit: O look, it looks like a screenshot topic again.

Last edited:
Great screenshots!

The locomotives are looking great! I am sure many within the community will be happy to have them.

Can't you guys at least tell me how you got that google map of IRM into Trainz, that is the one thing that preventing me from starting my own project or at least send that to me, that would be very helpful.

Off-topic

Can't you guys at least tell me how you got that google map of IRM into Trainz, that is the one thing that preventing me from starting my own project or at least send that to me, that would be very helpful.
Download and install Google Earth.
Go to this website and download Ge-Path.
Fool around with Ge-Path till you figured out how to make a KML file of 720x720m grid at the coordinates of the museum.
Make screenshots and add those to basemaps.

Let's not spoil this topic with a discussion about this, but go to this topic in which I found it:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?97146-Mapping-With-Google-Earth&highlight=Ge-Path

Last edited:
Wow. That is a very, VERY large track plan for a museum... Or at least it's way bigger than the Kentucky Railway Museum. Maybe I'm just use to KRM though because it's small to being with, I suppose.

Yeah, IRM is shockingly large. They've got some 5 miles of tracks they run small excursions on with plenty of sheds to store their collection. They're doin' good stuff there.

I'm actually heading to IRM soon (next few weeks), and I'll be snapping tons of pics to help out the crew here, everything from the 803 to the 265 to the sheds.

Cheers,
SM

Well I mean KRM runs their excursion on 11 or 13, (one of those two), miles of track, they just don't have near as much yard space as what IRM apparently has.

Back