Perhaps I need to take a break...

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Hi Trainzers,

This may seem a strange one for me (and it's taken quite a bit of thought) but in light of some of the responses towards some of my comments lately I'm beginning to wonder if I need to take a temporary break from forum life in light of some of the recent responses to my comments.

A bit of background regarding me though. I actually suffer from a form of autism (Asperger's Syndrome) which means that I see things differently from others in some respects and sometimes have problems when dealing with social environments like this forum, where I post something that gets misconstrued as something else even though I meant no malice of any form by posting it (the most recent case in another thread in this forum). It also means that I have trouble understanding things if they are not 'black and white' as I don't see grey areas very well.

It seems though that there are some on here who appear to be misconstruing my well-intentioned posts and using them against me or using them to start a flamewar. This saddens me as I make my posts with the best of intentions.

Hopefully this makes sense to other users and gives people an insight into why I am like I am. Note that I'm not trying to use my disability as an excuse, but simply want to show people an insight into what being autistic can be like.

I respectfully ask that people don't turn this thread into a flamewar, and that people please consider my disability when responding to my comments whether on here or on other forums.

Shane

You're a good chap Shane. If the forums are starting to emotionally affect you then a break should be in order. Chill out for a little bit and perhaps when you get back things might be in better shape.

Thankyou for your response Nicky9499. For some reason things are starting to take their toll on me although I was hoping that the newer Code of Conduct rules would help to avoid situations like this.

It took a lot for me to write this thread as I normally end up suffering in silence most of the time, and I begin to wonder what others may be saying about me behind my back.

Shane

Nahhh ... you're OK ... Get a Keurig coffemaker and buy the dark roast pods, and if you have a Mac, get Wine (Mmmmm Blackberry chilled) !

Besides, we wouldn't know what to do without you ... "and you can never leave" (Hotel California, the Eagles)

Last edited:
I think you enrich the community here by being here.

You've helped identify issues and concerns and that's a good thing.

If we can keep the forum focused on issues and concerns then I don't think we hit the flame wars and the forum is still a reasonable place to be around.

If it helps I tend to see things in shades of grey, to me there is no black or white, we each have our own perspective.

Cheerio John

Thankyou John. I like to help as much as I can either in person or through my tutorials although sometimes I begin to wonder whether I'm doing right.

Shane

Knowing you a little bit, I know your posts are with the best of intentions. Everyone who has been in this community for longer than a few months probably has a similar opinion about you, no matter which side of the "tane battle" the are on.

What you should do is what gets you the most joy, and I think that is doing what you do best: Helping people with technical issues.

Thankyou oknotsen. I agree that helping people with technical issues is what I do best, although even that seems to be fraught with issues when I end up having to tell someone that the issue they are having is due to a problem with their computer which seems to happen from time to time.

Shane

Hi Shane,

We all need breaks from time to time, so take some time off if you feel you need it. You do so much for this community and you have more than earned the right to take a break whenever you deem it necessary to do so. :)

It is really your decision, though.

Also, if I may offer some words of advice, don't see Asperger's Syndrome as something to suffer from/through. :)

Kieran. (who's also an Aspie)

Hi Shane and everybody.
Hi Trainzers,

This may seem a strange one for me (and it's taken quite a bit of thought) but in light of some of the responses towards some of my comments lately I'm beginning to wonder if I need to take a temporary break from forum life in light of some of the recent responses to my comments.

A bit of background regarding me though. I actually suffer from a form of autism (Asperger's Syndrome) which means that I see things differently from others in some respects and sometimes have problems when dealing with social environments like this forum, where I post something that gets misconstrued as something else even though I meant no malice of any form by posting it (the most recent case in another thread in this forum). It also means that I have trouble understanding things if they are not 'black and white' as I don't see grey areas very well.

It seems though that there are some on here who appear to be misconstruing my well-intentioned posts and using them against me or using them to start a flamewar. This saddens me as I make my posts with the best of intentions.

Hopefully this makes sense to other users and gives people an insight into why I am like I am. Note that I'm not trying to use my disability as an excuse, but simply want to show people an insight into what being autistic can be like.

I respectfully ask that people don't turn this thread into a flamewar, and that people please consider my disability when responding to my comments whether on here or on other forums.

Shane

Shane, I like many on this forum have been aware of your disability for several years and I have gained a great respect in the way that you deal with those synptoms by channelling it into this hobby and these forums to the benefit of everyone. Undoubtedly there will be many responses to this thread requesting you not to step back and to ignore any posts that appear disrespectful and even at times abusive.

The above stated, I feel that your decision to at least take a temporary break from the forums could well be the correct one in your case. You have within your personality many great assets not least your attention to detail combined with your ability to concentrate on any problem until you solve that problem. Within the foregoing you then have the verbal and text skills to be able to describe that problem and the remedy in a way that almost anyone can easily follow.

Therefore, I feel that you hve much to offer this world outside of this hobby and this forum. In any company or office the abilities you have would be an enormous asset which could be well rewarded going forward. I believe all you have to do to achieve much more than present in your life, is to look beyond this forum and this hobby and to start thinking what into the future would offer the most for you.

In the United Kingdom there has been a big turnaround in recent years in the way that many commercial organisations view and recruit persons with disability. There is much advice to be found through such outlets as the government work and pensions website and within local job centres.

In the above, I would not withdraw swiftly or completely from this forum or hobby as it has been so much of your life for so many years and thereby could cause yourself considerable stress if all is suddenly given up. However, in my humble opinion you should start to look around to find out what may be on offer to you and then gradually take up the alternatives that may be presented.

With every respect for all you have done in the past on this forum and going forward.
Bill

Last edited:
Hi Shane,
You have been a great asset to many Trainz folk, myself included. Personally I think you have handled the "grey areas" far better than many other posters on this forum.
I for one as I am sure you did felt a little uneasy when considering a reply or a new post after the updated CofC - Freedom of speech is a right we fight for - so when you come back feel free and say what's on your mind and I know you just love helping us all with your pointers, goto's and gimmicks for making Trainz that much better.

Cheers
Heinz

Thankyou for the responses.

In order:

Hi Shane,

We all need breaks from time to time, so take some time off if you feel you need it. You do so much for this community and you have more than earned the right to take a break whenever you deem it necessary to do so. :)

It is really your decision, though.

Also, if I may offer some words of advice, don't see Asperger's Syndrome as something to suffer from/through. :)

Kieran. (who's also an Aspie)

Thankyou for your response Kieran. I'm just hoping that me taking a break isn't seen as a sign of weakness or defeat by some members here.

Hi Shane and everybody.

Shane, I like many on this forum have been aware of your disability for several years and I have gained a great respect in the way that you deal with those synptoms by channelling it into this hobby and these forums to the benefit of everyone. Undoubtedly there will be many responses to this thread requesting you not to step back and to ignore any posts that appear disrespectful and even at times abusive.

The above stated, I feel that your decision to at least take a temporary break from the forums could well be the correct one in your case. You have within your personality many great assets not least your attention to detail combined with your ability to concentrate on any problem until you solve that problem. Within the foregoing you then have the verbal and text skills to be able to describe that problem and the remedy in a way that almost anyone can easily follow.

Therefore, I feel that you hve much to offer this world outside of this hobby and this forum. In any company or office the abilities you have would be an enormous asset which could be well rewarded going forward. I believe all you have to do to achieve much more than present in your life, is to look beyond this forum and this hobby and to start thinking what into the future would offer the most for you.

In the United Kingdom there has been a big turnaround in recent years in the way that many commercial organisations view and recruit persons with disability. There is much advice to be found through such outlets as the government work and pensions website and within local job centres.

In the above, I would not withdraw swiftly or completely from this forum or hobby as it has been so much of your life for so many years and thereby could cause yourself considerable stress if all is suddenly given up. However, in my humble opinion you should start to look around to find out what may be on offer to you and then gradually take up the alternatives that may be presented.

With every respect for all you have done in the past on this forum and going forward.
Bill

Thankyou for your response Bill. Interestingly, the support in my local town lately doesn't seem to be that helpful lately on the disability side.

I'm not intending to completely withdraw from the forum (and Trainz in general) as that would be a blow to both me and those who I help.

However, I will still be assisting on the new Trainz Questions page so I can still assist people in that way whilst I reduce the amount of responding I do on the forums for a short while.

Shane

Hi Shane,
You have been a great asset to many Trainz folk, myself included. Personally I think you have handled the "grey areas" far better than many other posters on this forum.
I for one as I am sure you did felt a little uneasy when considering a reply or a new post after the updated CofC - Freedom of speech is a right we fight for - so when you come back feel free and say what's on your mind and I know you just love helping us all with your pointers, goto's and gimmicks for making Trainz that much better.

Cheers
Heinz

Thankyou for your response Heinz. I have felt a little uneasy when considering replies, as sometimes the response may not always be to everyone's liking.

Shane

I'd ignore the critics Shane, those of us who know you would never accuse you of taking sides, just maybe attempting to put certain things in perspective doesn't go down well with those with blinkered vision.

I'd ignore the critics Shane, those of us who know you would never accuse you of taking sides, just maybe attempting to put certain things in perspective doesn't go down well with those with blinkered vision.

Thankyou for your response Malc. It seems to be difficult to keep things in perspective at the moment.

Shane

I'm just hoping that me taking a break isn't seen as a sign of weakness or defeat by some members here.
Taking a break every now and then is healthy. More people should do it.
I think it is why they invented vacations (and hobbies and mobile-phone free zones and cartoon network and...).

Some wiser words than mine:

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Some wiser words than mine:

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Thankyou for that post amigacooke. I will keep a copy of that if that's OK with you.

Shane

Back