Perhaps I need to take a break...

Shane, I'd like to add my compliments to you for what you do.
You have helped me a lot with things just from reading your posts... sometimes I have avoided problems because I read what you suggested as a fix for something and I then used that to avoid the issue anyway.
There are a range of views on here from Kieran's blunt but Ohhh so accurate "who gives a rat's arse what they think? :D" to Cascaderailroad's corruption of The Eagles song.
Both bought a real smile to my face and I hope that even though you feel down that you were able to appreciate the humor of your friends in this.
Further to that ... can you just imagine all of the posters in this thread holding you down ... and Cascade in your face saying to you ... "you can take a break.... But you can NEVER leave!!!!! Muhuahahaha!!!... because we need you... "
and we do need you Shane.
Please enjoy your break, and when you come back, remember .... "who gives a rat's arse what they think? :D

Kind regards,
Paul.
PS... if ever you feel like it, I'm happy to email, chat or skype... just PM me for the details and I'll happily supply them.

Last edited:
Nahhh ... you're OK ... Get a Keurig coffemaker and buy the dark roast pods, and if you have a Mac, get Wine (Mmmmm Blackberry chilled) !

Besides, we wouldn't know what to do without you ... "and you can never leave" (Hotel California, the Eagles)

Thankyou for your response there Cascade - I know what you mean there.

Shane

Shane, I'd like to add my compliments to you for what you do.
You have helped me a lot with things just from reading your posts... sometimes I have avoided problems because I read what you suggested as a fix for something and I then used that to avoid the issue anyway.
There are a range of views on here from Kieran's blunt but Ohhh so accurate "who gives a rat's arse what they think? :D" to Cascaderailroad's corruption of The Eagles song.
Both bought a real smile to my face and I hope that even though you feel down that you were able to appreciate the humor of your friends in this.
Further to that ... can you just imagine all of the posters in this thread holding you down ... and Cascade in your face saying to you ... "you can take a break.... But you can NEVER leave!!!!! Muhuahahaha!!!... because we need you... "
and we do need you Shane.
Please enjoy your break, and when you come back, remember .... "who gives a rat's arse what they think? :D

Kind regards,
Paul.
PS... if ever you feel like it, I'm happy to email, chat or skype... just PM me for the details and I'll happily supply them.

Thankyou for your response Paul - it's definitely given me some food for thought.

Shane

Let me tell something, dear Shane.

You know I have been away from here for a long time -serious personal life affairs needed my attention and staying away-. Let me tell you what made me start the sparks again.

It was a very simple part of a celebrated/rejected (everyone can choose the adjective s/he wishes) article typed by a certain Tony :hehe:.

Maybe it should be included as tag code in config.txt's. :hehe:

Code:
[SIZE=4][B]...[COLOR=#000000][FONT=UICTFontTextStyleBody]There are no life or death issues at stake here...[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Yes, Shane, for years one of my mottoes here and IBTz has been...

vida.png
which reads: "There's life beyond Trainz"

If you feel like it, take a rest and get impulse and momentum to help back.

All the best for you, a nice helping hand over the place.

The sparking side of Alberte :wave:

Last edited:
Let me tell something, dear Shane.

You know I have been away from here for a long time -serious personal life affairs needed my attention and staying away-. Let me tell you what made me start the sparks again.

It was a very simple part of a celebrated/rejected (everyone can choose the adjective s/he wishes) article typed by a certain Tony :hehe:

Code:
[SIZE=4][B]...[COLOR=#000000][FONT=UICTFontTextStyleBody]There are no life or death issues at stake here...[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Yes, Shane, for years one of my mottoes here and IBTz has been...

vida.png
which reads: "There's life beyond Trainz"

I you feel like it, take a rest and get impulse and momentum to help back.

All the best for you, a nice helping hand over the place.

The sparking side of Alberte :wave:

Nice to see your response here Alberte. I always find your posts interesting on that front (like the other posts in this thread).

Shane

Shane, I don't want to post over and over about this... but I was sitting here thinking about how you must be feeling... and about the circumstances that led to you feeling that way.
(Yeah, I read them as well... pretty much at the time they were posted.)

I was thinking about how those posts could have led you to question your value to this community... now, don't get me wrong ... I DO understand why you are feeling this way...
but Shane!!!
Really... you are the last person that would need to question your worth to this community.
If we were to list the top 3 valuable people in these forums... it would be very difficult to determine the order... based on different areas of expertise... but you would be in there somewhere... and certainly in some areas you would be by far the most valuable contributor on these forums.... without a shadow of doubt!
You do so much... from your hosting of Pevs tools, your tutorials, your research on issues and offers of help to those in need.
You are so polite as well.
Shane... you are invaluable to these forums!
(Hope I didn't miss something good you do or people will flame ME!!!! :p)
Please don't take this as me attempting to make a case for you to NOT take a break... It's in no way intended to be that.
Take the break.
Sit on the edge of the forums if that is what you feel like doing.
Read but don't reply... if that's what you feel like.
Download a good route from the DLS and drive Trainz.
Whatever floats your boat.

... but know that when you feel like it, we want you to come back.
Paul

Shane your the best. I can't count the times your posts have helped me. I hope you feel better soon.
Bob

Thank you for everything you have done for us and the community Shane for always being there to help out others. You deserve to take a break. :)

Hi Trainzers,

This may seem a strange one for me (and it's taken quite a bit of thought) but in light of some of the responses towards some of my comments lately I'm beginning to wonder if I need to take a temporary break from forum life in light of some of the recent responses to my comments.

A bit of background regarding me though. I actually suffer from a form of autism (Asperger's Syndrome) which means that I see things differently from others in some respects and sometimes have problems when dealing with social environments like this forum, where I post something that gets misconstrued as something else even though I meant no malice of any form by posting it (the most recent case in another thread in this forum). It also means that I have trouble understanding things if they are not 'black and white' as I don't see grey areas very well.

It seems though that there are some on here who appear to be misconstruing my well-intentioned posts and using them against me or using them to start a flamewar. This saddens me as I make my posts with the best of intentions.

Hopefully this makes sense to other users and gives people an insight into why I am like I am. Note that I'm not trying to use my disability as an excuse, but simply want to show people an insight into what being autistic can be like.

I respectfully ask that people don't turn this thread into a flamewar, and that people please consider my disability when responding to my comments whether on here or on other forums.

Shane

Hello Shane -- :wave:

The forum can get tiring and boring, however, never change how you are just to satisfy anyone here, especially people who you have never met, who does not paid your bills, and who are NOT your friends (net-friends)! -- This is like a school yard, same way ... I'm sure you understand what I mean!

You're one of very few who really goes all out to help folks! If you need a break, sir, take it because you want to -- If not, just continue doing what you do! -- You do a great job in these forums!!!:udrool:

Ishie

Thankyou for the responses. This will be one of my last posts before I reduce posting for a short while (although I will still be monitoring the forum from time to time).

In order:

Shane, I don't want to post over and over about this... but I was sitting here thinking about how you must be feeling... and about the circumstances that led to you feeling that way.
(Yeah, I read them as well... pretty much at the time they were posted.)

I was thinking about how those posts could have led you to question your value to this community... now, don't get me wrong ... I DO understand why you are feeling this way...
but Shane!!!
Really... you are the last person that would need to question your worth to this community.
If we were to list the top 3 valuable people in these forums... it would be very difficult to determine the order... based on different areas of expertise... but you would be in there somewhere... and certainly in some areas you would be by far the most valuable contributor on these forums.... without a shadow of doubt!
You do so much... from your hosting of Pevs tools, your tutorials, your research on issues and offers of help to those in need.
You are so polite as well.
Shane... you are invaluable to these forums!
(Hope I didn't miss something good you do or people will flame ME!!!! :p)
Please don't take this as me attempting to make a case for you to NOT take a break... It's in no way intended to be that.
Take the break.
Sit on the edge of the forums if that is what you feel like doing.
Read but don't reply... if that's what you feel like.
Download a good route from the DLS and drive Trainz.
Whatever floats your boat.

... but know that when you feel like it, we want you to come back.
Paul

Thankyou for your comments Paul. I do my best to help out as much as I can.

Shane your the best. I can't count the times your posts have helped me. I hope you feel better soon.
Bob

Thankyou for your comments Bob. I'm glad to see that my posts have been of assistance to you.

Thank you for everything you have done for us and the community Shane for always being there to help out others. You deserve to take a break. :)

Thankyou for your comments Matt3985. I do the best I can to help, and I will still be providing tutorials in some form or another during my post reduction time.

Hello Shane -- :wave:

The forum can get tiring and boring, however, never change how you are just to satisfy anyone here, especially people who you have never met, who does not paid your bills, and who are NOT your friends (net-friends)! -- This is like a school yard, same way ... I'm sure you understand what I mean!

You're one of very few who really goes all out to help folks! If you need a break, sir, take it because you want to -- If not, just continue doing what you do! -- You do a great job in these forums!!!:udrool:

Ishie

Thankyou Ishie - I do appreciate your comments.

Shane

Dear Shane,

Your advice, help and encouragement are surely appreciated by many members of the Trainz community. Please don't lose any sleep or enthusiasm over any perceived adverse comments. The majority of the community support you and would wish you to continue with your activities. If you need to take a short break then by all means do so, but you will be missed and I personally would prefer that you undertake a reduction in your activities rather than a complete break. There are many people who suffer from various forms of autism, some very severely, but your case the ability to think in a different way to the average should be considered as an asset rather than a disadvantage. Keep up good work and know that the bulk of the community will be behind you whatever you decide to do.

Kindest regards,

Peter.

Dear Shane,

Your advice, help and encouragement are surely appreciated by many members of the Trainz community. Please don't lose any sleep or enthusiasm over any perceived adverse comments. The majority of the community support you and would wish you to continue with your activities. If you need to take a short break then by all means do so, but you will be missed and I personally would prefer that you undertake a reduction in your activities rather than a complete break. There are many people who suffer from various forms of autism, some very severely, but your case the ability to think in a different way to the average should be considered as an asset rather than a disadvantage. Keep up good work and know that the bulk of the community will be behind you whatever you decide to do.

Kindest regards,

Peter.

Thankyou for your comments Peter. At the moment I'm currently deciding whether to just do post reduction or to have a break. At the moment I'm reducing my posts though.

Shane

Shane, I wish you the best of luck while on your break. I agree that there's more going on outside the Forums. With that in mind, I suggest that you take a look into Special Olympics. This is not just exclusive to America, but in fact is found in countries across the world. In fact, the World Special Olympics, with athletes from all over the world, just occurred earlier this year in Los Angeles, California. I will note that the opening ceremonies was covered by ESPN (Entertainment Sports Network), a national TV channel. Unfortunately, I was not able to watch the whole opening ceremonies, as Los Angeles is in the Pacific Time Zone, so they're three hours behind me. Just last weekend was Special Olympics Bowling, which occurs in Warner-Robins, Georgia. Athletes from several places across the state attended, including myself, for a weekend of bowling. Unlike the Olympics, there isn't just a gold, silver, or bronze, but the person who finished in 4th place receives a ribbon. I also participate in Special Olympics Skiing. In Skiing, it's not just athletes from Georgia, but from states in the Southeast (Florida, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee). Though I've done other Special Olympics competitions (5K walk, cycling, etc.), my two favorites are bowling and skiing. I must also note that when the Special Olympics of Georgia, the governing body of Special Olympics activities in Georgia, chose Dalton to host the state-level of Special Olympics, which includes 5K walk, 5K run, cycling, swimming, etc., I was asked by my mom, who worked on getting the state-level of Special Olympics to Dalton, to write a song to be sung at the opening ceremonies, which I did. Thanks to my mom, I also got to carry the Olympic Torch during the opening ceremonies. Since the opening ceremonies, the song I wrote is now available on the iTunes store, with some of the money from each purchase of the song going to Special Olympics of Georgia.

Just thought you might be interested.

Shane, I wish you the best of luck while on your break. I agree that there's more going on outside the Forums. With that in mind, I suggest that you take a look into Special Olympics. This is not just exclusive to America, but in fact is found in countries across the world. In fact, the World Special Olympics, with athletes from all over the world, just occurred earlier this year in Los Angeles, California. I will note that the opening ceremonies was covered by ESPN (Entertainment Sports Network), a national TV channel. Unfortunately, I was not able to watch the whole opening ceremonies, as Los Angeles is in the Pacific Time Zone, so they're three hours behind me. Just last weekend was Special Olympics Bowling, which occurs in Warner-Robins, Georgia. Athletes from several places across the state attended, including myself, for a weekend of bowling. Unlike the Olympics, there isn't just a gold, silver, or bronze, but the person who finished in 4th place receives a ribbon. I also participate in Special Olympics Skiing. In Skiing, it's not just athletes from Georgia, but from states in the Southeast (Florida, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee). Though I've done other Special Olympics competitions (5K walk, cycling, etc.), my two favorites are bowling and skiing. I must also note that when the Special Olympics of Georgia, the governing body of Special Olympics activities in Georgia, chose Dalton to host the state-level of Special Olympics, which includes 5K walk, 5K run, cycling, swimming, etc., I was asked by my mom, who worked on getting the state-level of Special Olympics to Dalton, to write a song to be sung at the opening ceremonies, which I did. Thanks to my mom, I also got to carry the Olympic Torch during the opening ceremonies. Since the opening ceremonies, the song I wrote is now available on the iTunes store, with some of the money from each purchase of the song going to Special Olympics of Georgia.

Just thought you might be interested.

Thankyou for your response jordon412 - if I get chance I will have a look into what you have mentioned.

Shane

Dear Shane

Just let me support what a lot of others have said in this thread. I do not usually post much on the forum, but I do skim through quite regularly and often see the help you give to other Trainzers, which without doubt is a big bonus to them and to all the rest of us too. By all means take a break but come back to us as soon as possible please! My grandchildren are autist which means they have many skills even if somewhat different in some ways so I understand what you say.

Greetings from Norway,

pdw

Dear Shane

Just let me support what a lot of others have said in this thread. I do not usually post much on the forum, but I do skim through quite regularly and often see the help you give to other Trainzers, which without doubt is a big bonus to them and to all the rest of us too. By all means take a break but come back to us as soon as possible please! My grandchildren are autist which means they have many skills even if somewhat different in some ways so I understand what you say.

Greetings from Norway,

pdw

Thankyou for your comments pdw. At the moment I'm reducing the amount of posts but will still be keeping an eye on the forum from time to time.

Shane

Better not go away too long please Shane, have a break , you deserve it.....there will be things that go wrong if you are not here to help, when you get back you will be snowed up with work !
perhaps you should rather stay ? :D

Better not go away too long please Shane, have a break , you deserve it.....there will be things that go wrong if you are not here to help, when you get back you will be snowed up with work !
perhaps you should rather stay ? :D

Perhaps, although I'm posting less at the moment and only in certain threads (and this one of course). Thankyou for your comments though jjanmarine3.

Shane

I have not read every single post in this thread Shane but it's clear that you have support and respect from the community . From time to time there are situations that stress us all and the best advice that I ever heard given when this is the case is to "Take a walk round the Bar Walls" (old local saying in York) but to put it another way - take a break, chill out, forget whatever is stressing you and come back refreshed. I'm convinced that advice has saved a few peoples sanity.

Chris

By making yourself more visible by posting more, you are bound to attract criticism - deserved or otherwise. We exist in different time zones, with different expectations and various mental states.

In another, totally unrelated, forum that I sometimes visit. There is a special and well advertised section that is intended for "noobs" to ask questions. Flaming or derogatory comments are specifically forbidden and well policed in that section. There is a CoC for the whole forum but more rigorously applied for the noob section. It works.

Shane,
It seems to me that you are the one person who will nearly always answer the "noob" questions when many of us, including me, are rather sick of giving the same answers. Maybe N3V should create such a special noob section and give you primary responsibility for it in an honorary role.

Back