Trainz Before DRM

sterrett

Remember the Withered Arm
Not wanting to get into discussions about the rights and wrongs of DRM, but can anyone tell me what the latest version of Trainz without DRM was please?

All I want to do is install Trainz on an external hard drive so that I can make it truly portable so that I can run from Desktop or Laptop as takes my fancy without having to worry about hooking up to the internet at regular intervals to verify its authenticity. For whatever reason, I find N3V's (and Railworks for that matter) servers do not connect properly during office hours in the UK. FWIW, I found Trainz Classics 3 to be the most reliable and trouble free version so far.

Last edited:
Sorry Shaine - you missed T:ANE build 75971.
And by the end of this week, there will be a new version (for more than one reason...)
How cryptic is that?

I know, it's confusing (although if I remember correctly, that's a KS only build - I was working on the OP referring to general versions).

Shane

P.S. Did you get my PM I sent not too long ago?

I think Shane was right to quote the last "normal" version of Trainz that was DRM-free, as it sounded like the OP was after that.
I don't think it's wise for Tony to quote a version of T:ANE that's not publicly available.
It will only add fire to the DRM arguments.

Heading towards very annoying. This isn't a time to be cryptic, it's a time for clarity.
For once we agree! :p
My first thought when reading Tony's cryptic comment was "Right. That's just what the community needs right now".

Eyes peeled.
Ears pricked.
Expectation low.

:)

75971 will be the TANE DRM Free KS only boxed version after patching. Nothing to do with a beta......

Can we move on without nitpicking everything?

Well when the very person who should provide answers chooses to shroud the facts in mystery, there is a definite problem. Not nitpicking as much as looking for a definite answer with reasons as to why the facts are what they are. Shouldn't be too much to ask for...

Still, it wouldn't be a Trainz release without the traditional comments like:

'it's only the last version rehashed a bit';
'I've got a Cray and can only get 4 fps';
'it's not here yet';
'I only opened the content manager and I now have an infinite number of errors';
'how many patches?'.

Last edited:
All your DLC assets are DRM controlled, no matter if your TS12, or TS10 are not DRM controlled ... so they get turned off by DRM, should the DRM servers go offline, or 30 days later.

Still, it wouldn't be a Trainz release without the traditional comments like:

'it's only the last version rehashed a bit';
'I've got a Cray and can only get 4 fps';
'it's not here yet';
'I only opened the content manager and I now have an infinite number of errors';
'how many patches?'.
It wouldn't be a Trainz release if all of those weren't true...

There might be reasons why Tony is being cryptic... He might be letting a cat peek out of a bag. (wishful thinking...).

I agree cryptology is something we don't need right now...

John

I am glad that I bought my copy of Trainz 2012 boxed. At least I can always be the no-DRM build. And it seems that things need to be explained about T:ANE. This is why the MC community gets info if something big occurs, and nothing is said. Jeb and the staff behind MC make sure that word is put out first before tweaking anything to allow the fans to see what it would be, and such.

I am glad that I bought my copy of Trainz 2012 boxed. At least I can always be the no-DRM build. And it seems that things need to be explained about T:ANE. This is why the MC community gets info if something big occurs, and nothing is said. Jeb and the staff behind MC make sure that word is put out first before tweaking anything to allow the fans to see what it would be, and such.

But technically, Trainz never did ship completely without DRM. The only DRM as you are thinking of occurred with the DLC. Prior to that the serial number/CD key had to be entered, and Planet Auran login details need to be added. Without doing this, you can run the program, but it's offline and any assets you create, such as routes or edited content, will have the -2-series KUID.

It has been this since at TRS2004 that I am aware of.

John

Thank you, one and all, for your replies and for keeping away from the "DRM stinks" v "DRM is okayl" arguments! In that case, it may be worthwhile waiting for the T-ANE "non DRM" version and stuffing that on to a portable drive, as long as both laptop and desktop can run from it as a portable edition.

There is a good and valid reason for wanting a copy without the DRM restriction - I want to start on a new route-building project on the DLS and I want to keep a version of Trainz update and DLS download free - or at least, I want to be able to control the assets download stream so that proper credits can be given to the asset creator. At the same time, my existing DRMmed versions of TS12 and T-ANE can remain for when I want to simpoly "go play!" I will not be providing pirate copies or modifying other people's work, unless the author's permission is freely given (like jayholland with his permission to reskin).

Again, you have my thanks. :)

It would seem that the only difference between total DRM Disc's/DRM digital downloads ... and the actual non-DRM discs ... is the non-DRM disc installation has a "tick box" where you can disable the internet, and stop N3V from checking up on your disc ... when you untick the box, it becomes DRM controlled, and N3V can check if your Trainz installation and DLC assets are valid ... until you tick the box again ... it seems just like unplugging out your Ethernet cable to me.

Just say NO to DRM ... And keep all your DLC assets

Last edited:
Back