Anyone interested?

Hey Justin, I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but maybe you could tell him what he needs to practice on specifically.

Cheers,

Dave

Right you are Dave. I can see that he is trying a blanket effect that might serve well as a base, but something else is needed.

It sounds funny to put it in terms that are almost like "watch grass grow" but taking notice of how dirt and moisture and light interact on an object is helpful. nothing gets completely blanketed by the same consistent layer of dust or dirt like these skins are showing. If this were the only layer I was using I would at least put a mask on it and nearly remove all traces at the top of the vertical facings, and make sure the bottoms are heavier.

Right you are Dave. I can see that he is trying a blanket effect that might serve well as a base, but something else is needed.

It sounds funny to put it in terms that are almost like "watch grass grow" but taking notice of how dirt and moisture and light interact on an object is helpful. nothing gets completely blanketed by the same consistent layer of dust or dirt like these skins are showing. If this were the only layer I was using I would at least put a mask on it and nearly remove all traces at the top of the vertical facings, and make sure the bottoms are heavier.

Yeah, he could take a lesson from Erik (ekankal).

I wish I could texture like Erik.... [sigh...]

Take a look at this unit:

bnsf_es44dc_7850.jpg

Wrinkles in the metal are found in large flat sections free of seams, doors, etc. The wrinkles themselves though tend to occur close to these interruptions, where one piece is joined to another. It's definitely not an even effect all over the unit, and the edges are very soft. This I think is why people are looking at what you did and thinking it is weathering, because it's all over the place.

It doesn't hurt to have something like you used for a base texture, but I would recommend having something that's largely the same color, i.e. not darkened in the center like the picture you showed is. Doing something like that could make map seams more visible.

What could be used as a mask? And thank you, I think this may elp out alot, and thank you too Simulator, Ill see what I can do.

A mask is something you can create yourself in Photoshop quite easily (for such applications as you have shown). You are looking for this icon:

photoshop-layer-mask-icon.gif

Paint the resulting layer with a black or white brush. Black=hide, white=show, and any gray in between corresponding.

I really do want to thank everyone. Believe or not your actually helping me. Im surprised so many people are helping me with this and it is well appreciated. Right now my mom's getting me photoshop so I can try all of this stuff you are suggesting. :wave:

Back