Tumbler Ridge Project

some new pics of the excavator subdivision. This route (in real life) has been seeing new activity from CN in the past month as they are clearing the ROW as some of the mine in the area have been purchased. The route may be running yet again, of course without the electrics. The history of the route really just gets more political the more you look into it. The subdivision was essentially doomed from the start, but I'll leave that for later.

ATSF854_57e5fa8be92d1.jpg

ATSF854_57e5fa9e52325.jpg

thanks for the comments everyone. Going forward this project may be put on hold (in trainz) for an unknown amount of time. If you have seen the news about Train sim world then you may understand why I'm freezing this one. If TSW ends up being everything we hope for it to be, then this project will most likely be continued there, in much more detail, and realism. I'm only saying this now since n3v doesn't seem to care too much about really improving their game.

30332537083_ce30861246_o.png

30332533063_2de3920aa8_o.png

30523517410_c5f6e8d587_o.jpg

Well, to be very blunt, I looked at your link....and then browsed around a bit on the site. I see NO reason to put things on hold !
A: Steam is a Royal Pain.
B: TSW 17 seems to be flop, if you read the reviews on their own site.
C: The screenies you have shown us in TANE are more than worthy of continuing development of the route.

DaveL
Just say'in.......

Well, to be very blunt, I looked at your link....and then browsed around a bit on the site. I see NO reason to put things on hold !
C: The screenies you have shown us in TANE are more than worthy of continuing development of the route.

DaveL
Just say'in.......
Would be ashamed to cancel construction of this route in TANE in favor of a Train sim that isn't even released yet. It's not even in alpha yet. I would say that you'd be best to continue working along in here than putting your faith into a train sim that yes, does look very good, but has little to offer at this moment in time. I covered in good detail some of the questions that have yet to be answered with TSW.
Let me illiterate them here again:
TSW is going into alpha beta in Dec. The program is probably at least another year away. Yes, I agree, the program looks fantastic, and when I get the pioneer's edition to get access to this, I will see for myself, if said realism can really be delivered in such fashion. If anything, I'm more interested in seeing if TSW is only based on little story like CSX Heavy Haul, or your actually getting a full sized simulation product. That alone right there could put TSW to an end very very quickly when you have to pay $60 a pop for one little story.
TSW may not deliver the features you want to see like your thinking it will. This concerns me, and I'm sure concerns many other users who will be putting plenty of money into buying a program that looks as good as it does. But, I'm not as big on looks as I am functionality. Railworks has never functioned in the past as well as Trainz or MSTS do. Yes, the game itself is graphically beautiful, but driving wise is kinda boring.
I however, would not be so quick to call it a flop yet. I will call it a flop when I and many other people buy the program as expected, and we find out it delivers nothing that was promised and etc.. I will agree, TANE was a flop to begin with. But if you look, TANE has come a very long way since release day. It is worthy of your efforts to continue the project in TANE, where it will be better received anyways. Last time I checked, Railworks, nor TSW is compatabile with a route built in another simulator's platform. You would have to start the project all over again in favor of moving to an unreleased train simulator that apparently looks better than TANE.
Why waste the time? Why not maybe try doing the project in both platforms?? I bet it'd look just as good as in TSW as TANE right now. Why not do the project for both? I mean if your already willing to take the time to start the project over, then that would be a good move on your part.
As far as steam being a pain, Steam is not a pain, I don't get where people get off on this. I have steamed installed, and play plenty of games flaw free through steam. Really, sometimes issues can be user caused, just sayin.

The TANE version of this route would be fantastic. Again, it would be ashamed to see you cancel the project in TANE in favor of moving to unreleased train simulator that apparently looks better than TANE.

Hi Chris,

Point well taken about Steam. My only experience with Steam is the very early days of Railworks, put a bad taste in my mouth.
IF TSW proves to better than TANE.........well time will tell.

Dave

Why waste the time? Why not maybe try doing the project in both platforms?? I bet it'd look just as good as in TSW as TANE right now. Why not do the project for both? I mean if your already willing to take the time to start the project over, then that would be a good move on your part.

I'm not Matt, but I would have to say choosing one or the other is far more likely due to the effort it would take to finish a Trainz version and then start the project from scratch in a new simulator which will undoubtedly have a bit of a learning curve as all new games do. Focusing on one version would increase the quality of the route and its content anyways, seeing as more time can be allotted into one rather than two. Obviously, this is totally up to Matt, so he can probably shed some light on plans.

Steam isn't bad and isn't great either. It's the best of it's kind we're ever gonna get lol
I'm hoping for a successful TSW, but yes, time will indeed tell. UE4 has proven to be a great engine, so they do have a good starting place. I think that regardless of TANE vs TSW, we all want to see this fantastic route completed in one or the other.

Cheers,
SM

Well to sort of explain what I was really going to do, I said that I may put it on hold, but if the game ends up being a flop then I will obviously still continue the route in trainz. It's also worth mentioning that I am still currently working on it. As for TSW 2017 reviews - I don't think those even exist, as the beta hasn't even been released yet. Also I see your point Chris and I definitely agree that it could actually end up being way worse than we think. I'm sort of just trying to put the idea out there.

My main goal for this project is to create the subdivision and other various parts in a realistic way that captures the actual operation (loading, helper units, overhead wire trouble, swaps) in as much detail as possible, and whether TSW can help me do that or not has yet to be seen. Be aware that the beta is coming very soon, so any questions will be answered soon enough. I'm just worried that they wont provide the community with the proper development tools.

I have all of the meshes and assets that could easily be imported into UE4, since I already have a lot of practice in doing this. If TSW implements the right tools (if they even give them to us) then this route could be recreated up to the same point as it is in trainz within a matter of months, and then some.

DaveL
Just say'in.......

And I'm just sayin' I do not appreciate the vibes given out by this post, and I am not sure Matt does either ...

applegathc,

Me thinks ya'll got up on the "wrong side of the bed".
Also, Matt has spoken for himself already in a more civil tone.

DaveL

Well to sort of explain what I was really going to do, I said that I may put it on hold, but if the game ends up being a flop then I will obviously still continue the route in trainz. It's also worth mentioning that I am still currently working on it. As for TSW 2017 reviews - I don't think those even exist, as the beta hasn't even been released yet. Also I see your point Chris and I definitely agree that it could actually end up being way worse than we think. I'm sort of just trying to put the idea out there.

My main goal for this project is to create the subdivision and other various parts in a realistic way that captures the actual operation (loading, helper units, overhead wire trouble, swaps) in as much detail as possible, and whether TSW can help me do that or not has yet to be seen. Be aware that the beta is coming very soon, so any questions will be answered soon enough. I'm just worried that they wont provide the community with the proper development tools.

I have all of the meshes and assets that could easily be imported into UE4, since I already have a lot of practice in doing this. If TSW implements the right tools (if they even give them to us) then this route could be recreated up to the same point as it is in trainz within a matter of months, and then some.
The UE4 engine is beyond one of the most beautiful graphics engines I've ever seen. Your stuff in that engine would look stellar.

I also agree with your idea if TSW does live up to the word, and it does deliver an experience unlike any other, I would see no issue in continuing the project in the sim that best achieves your goals for the project.

I really hope that DTG has learned from the past, and will give people a better platform and tools to work with. Their track record on doing this isn't as pretty as their games look XD.

Many questions are going to be answered next month when the beta comes out. I think that I am not the only looking forward to what this will bring. I'm really hoping however, that it doesn't bring harm to us here. I really hope that it's not another flop. The train sim community does not need another one of those.

All in all, Good work! The project looks good in TANE, and I'm sure in whatever the future holds for it, will look good in whatever platform you choose!

In light of some recent news, I thought I should update this thread a little. I have a lot more time on my hands now so I might get back to my progress on planting the enormous amount of trees on the eastern side of the route.

Besides all that, CN has finally agreed to reopen the Tumbler Subdivision at a cost of 23 million dollars. The rumors started circulating about this a few months ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...ge-rail-line-to-start-shipping-coal-1.3969825

I'll be posting images soon...

Back