Work in progress - The Wisbech Line

Hi Paul,

Would you be able to help with a DEM for my Battlefield Line route? Last few posts on this thread - http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...ots-(Large-screenshots)&p=1199907#post1199907

It's a part of the old Ashby and Nuneaton Joint Railway in Leicestershire, I have no idea how DEMs work and it would be useful.

Thanks

George

Hi George, PM me and let me know what you need and I'll see what I can do. Try and be specific about exactly what stretch of railway line you need.

Paul

Hi everyone

In reply to Geophil, my 17+ mile branch line is already place, following identically the real (slightly north-eastwards) route across the Fens from the town of March, Cambs to just beyond the hamlet of Middle Drove, Norfolk - and the distances between each level crossing & farm crossing on my route match exactly (down to the last centimetre) to the numerous level crossings and farm crossings on the former real-life branch line. From Wisbech eastwards the old trackbed and former level crossings are easily visible on google earth, but it was still easy for me to measure out the distances between these and the former village stations using Google maps distance calculator (GMDC) to place my crossings and village stations in the exact same place as was where the real ones were until 1968.

March to Wisbech, the single line 7.8 mile track is still there today, although finally closed in 2003 by NR. Railfuture UK is proposing to get the line re-opened with a new station at Wisbech for commuter services between Wisbech and Cambridge - following the loss of wisbech station and passenger services in 1968.

My own 17+ mile main line is in place waiting for signalling to next be installed, I'm now building loops and sidings between my versions of Wisbech East Station, Coldham Station and March Station, matching all trackwork identically to the prototype stations, using a combination of my railway books' signal box track diagrams and photos, and also GMDC.

I will be posting more images on my work on here as and when I can - my next job is to recreate Wisbech East Goods Yard (two extended loops and 9 extended sidings) using the original GER signal box track diagram in my railway books. When I post an image of my yard, it will show an identical copy of what the former real goods yard looked like and roughly where it stood in relation to Wisbech East Station. - Wisbech East Goods once stood alongside Coalwharf Road and Wisbech Station was on Victoria Road. In real life, Wisbech East Goods was the original 1847 station until it was moved a few years later to a better site on Victoria Road so to connect the 1847 March - Wisbech line to the 1848 Wisbech - Magdalen Road track, and following this move the 1847 station was converted to a goods yard.

Re - using DEM for my route, just a reminder that I have no need to use DEM or similar software as the Fenlands around here are as flat as the Trainz baseboards.

* Recently installed GBoost to my PC to give it some firepower when running Trainz2012

Many regards.

Andy.

Last edited:
In reply to Geophil, my 17+ mile branch line is already place, following identically the real (slightly north-eastwards) route across the Fens from the town of March, Cambs to just beyond the hamlet of Middle Drove, Norfolk - and the distances between each level crossing & farm crossing on my route match exactly (down to the last centimetre) to the numerous level crossings and farm crossings on the former real-life branch line. From Wisbech eastwards the old trackbed and former level crossings are easily visible on google earth, but it was still easy for me to measure out the distances between these and the former village stations using Google maps distance calculator (GMDC) to place my crossings and village stations in the exact same place as was where the real ones were until 1968.
The idea of using digital maps including DEM, raster and possibly vector data is to make life easier for the route builder. However, the decision has to be taken before you start working on the route. So it's much too late for your project now.

Raster maps, by the way, include your track diagrams. As long as the track diagrams are to scale, you should be able to georeference them, i.e assigning geo coordinates to spots on the diagram. You say you were able to find certain landmarks still existing like level crossing locations etc. It means georeferencing would have worked in your case. The difference to you approach is that geo coordinates are absolute. Once a map or diagram carries them, it can be mixed with any other georeferenced map and it all will fit together. And you no longer need rulers and take measurements as you can place your objects directly onto the scene blueprint.

A georeferencing result will look like this: A 1:1000 track diagram placed onto a 1:5000 topo map:

The typical Trainz approach is to combine DEM and topo map to shape the terrain and apply some ground textures to find your way around, using appropriate software. Then you add more detail in the form of hi-res texture carrying large objects (known as "Base Maps" or, in my case, "UTM tiles"), painted with ortho imagery or track diagrams.

In Surveyor you raise or lower these carrier objects to the terrain surface:

Re - using DEM for my route, just a reminder that I have no need to use DEM or similar software as the Fenlands around here are as flat as the Trainz baseboards.
You'll be surprised. See here: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...are-DEMs-for-UK-terrain&p=1201229#post1201229

What you've got so far looks great Fen tiger. Can I also suggest grabbing hold of a copy of Great Eastern Railway Engine sheds Part one Stratford, Peterborough & Norwich Districts An Illustrated History by Chris Hawkins And George Reeve, Wild Swan Publications ISBN 0906867401? It covers Wisbech in Detail (mainly info about the Engine shed) but a Scale Trackplan(not a signal diagram) here's the trackplan > [/IMG]

Hi drphlox

Yes. Many thanks to you. Work on my route will be slow at times because of limited PC time; and loops, sidings and stations which are being constructed to match their real-life counterparts. In due course I shall be updating all of my images on this thread, including more original track diagrams and photos from my books, and what I have managed to copy from them.

On the track layout you have posted above shows the original 1847 station site (bottom left of your image) which a few years later was closed and removed when the new station was built on Victoria Road with the 1848 connection from Magdalen Road, Norfolk, joining the existing 1847 double track from March, Cambs. Wisbech East Goods in later years had 9 or ten sidings which are not shown on your early track map. I'll try to upload onto here one of my own photos of Wisbech Goods Yard - as taken from my book 'Branch Lines Around Wisbech'

If all goes well with my route, I may attempt to add the GER harbour branch - Wisbech East to the Port Area of Wisbech, and maybe the entire 5 mile W&U Tramway too. I have my Wisbech Station with its Tram Shed and junction with the main line in place, and I have part of the Harbour Branch in place also with its junction for possible future extension.

Andy.

Hi Andy

I'm afraid I jumped to conclusions too quickly and assumed that the book was by you - adding your interest and your name together and coming up with 1+1=3 (to coin a phrase).

Sorry. Super screenshots, though - and I'm interested to see how you've put various buildings together.

Some time ago I made Brandon station building and began putting together the track layout using the kind of diagram that you've published above. I found the sidings would not fit in the space available, according to measurements obtained from the map. It's still waiting to be finished ...

Ray

Hi Ray

I'm using the LNER base spline and a combination of the LNER station buildings as these almost resemble the Great Eastern buildings on Wisbech East station; so far I think I've done okay with this, although any advice is greatly appreciated. I'll re-upload pics of my recently rebuilt Wisbech East platform buildings and re-configued tram sidings as soon as I can.

Also, I've written down a check list of things to do on paper so I can easier plan and construct other aspects of the route.

Andy

Last edited:
With no intention to steal the thread and just to illustrate how the geo data approach would work:

O/S "Terrain 50" DEM with historic O/S 1:25,000 topo map, from Sabre Maps as Vern pointed out in another thread:

Georeferenced track diagram (post #6) on top of the topo map:

Track diagram (post #24) georeferenced with O/S coordinates, some of the white space cut away.

Same track diagram, now on top of the topo map:

Transferred to Trainz (TS12), opened in Surveyor. At this viewing distance, Surveyor renders the mini map.

Blueprint for Smeeth Road Station:

Wisbech:

Rather flat it is, but not a mathematical plane as the default Trainz baseboard:

Re DEM...

Another further suggestion that I use DEM on my own route, I will have to post photos on here to prove that Fenland is absolutely flat, featureless, low-lying and below sea level. I am accurately depicting my route and landscape upon the real former GER branch line across the Fens. The nearest hills to us is the other side of Downham Market, Norfolk on the western edge of Fenland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fens

Rant over. I don't have enough spare time to build mountains on my route, besides, it won't depict the reality of the land here of which I am copying. My own route has been extensively pre-planned, mapped out and distance measured right down to the last centimetre of the real route. My route's distance measurements are identical to the former real route's distance measurements. It took me a week to accurately scale real mileage meaurements down to Trainz baseboard mileage measurements.

Andy.

Last edited:
It took me a week to accurately scale real mileage measurements down to Trainz baseboard mileage measurements.
And that's the point. It took me less than 30 minutes to prepare the map and track diagrams and transfer them to Trainz last night for my post. (The DEM, BTW, comes almost for free in that context.) It's not primarily about DEMs, it's about cartography resources and how they can be used to build a Trainz route. I can only suggest that you re-read my post, examine the screenshots carefully, and then draw your conclusions.

Hi Andy

I've just seen a 'visitor message' from you dated 17th September. Thanks for letting me know - as you can see, I have been following this thread but can't seem to work out how to reply to visitor messages!

Your combination of the LNER buildings certainly works, I have used them, but had not tried combining them in this way.

Ray

Hi Ray.

Many thanks for your support in my project. Just have to get March East yards, whitemoor yards and diesel shed in place then I can get signals foe the route and finally start building up the stations and goods yards. Wisbech yard is complete and is now ready for landscaping. I'll update my screenshots when each station has been built in the classic GER style and landscaped.

Andy.

* 21st September - Latest progress report

All trackwork seen in my images is identical to the track layout of the real March East Yards.

(1) The eastern end of my double track main line near to my March Station. I have installed a locomotive run-round loop here in order to run a loco from the north side of my March East Yard sidings to the south side of this yard. The yard is split in two by this main line as per the real prototype. Some of my images will be overhead shots for better clarity.

(2) Overhead view of the eastern approaches to the upper and lower March East Yard, split in two by the main line double track (which runs past the signal box). I built curved loop points here in order to give plenty of room for locomotives shunting freight stock on and off the yards sidings. The bottom three sidings will hold my BR MK1 and BR MKII charter train coaches. The three tracks, either side of the double main line, and ending very close to the signal box are the headshunts for the upper and lower sections of the yard. Junction 834 is the main line connection to the upper run-round loop. Junction 598 is the main line connection to the lower run-round loop.

(3) These are the five ladder points coming off the lower run-round loop and leading to the lower March East Yard coach sidings (the bottom three tracks that are heading to the right)

(4) The four ladder points at the top lead off the upper run-round loop and to the yard's upper sidings.

(5) From top to bottom... the first seven tracks are the upper sidings; next are the two upper run-round loop tracks; followed by the two main line tracks, with the bottom four tracks being the lower run-round loops.

(6) From top to bottom... the seven upper sidings; then the upper run-round loop leading from two tracks into one; then the double main line; following the main line is the lower run-round loop leading from three tracks into one; and at the bottom, the goods shed sidings.

(7) From top to bottom... the seven upper sidings; the upper loop, with its headshunt, leading onto the main line; the lower loop, also with a headshunt leading to the main line; and the goods shed sidings at the bottom. Junctions 820 and 622 are the main line connections to the run-round loops.

(8) This is the real March East Yard which I have faithfully reproduced in the above images.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

Many thanks to you all for supporting me and by following this thread. As of 22nd September I am now working on Network Rail's Whitemoor Engineering Yard, March, by using Google Maps Distance Calculator to properly measure out the lengths of the real yard's sidings and to get a near perfect copy of this massive yard onto my layout. I hope to get signalling, stations, goods yards and other trackside clutter along my scaled 17+ mile route into place as soon as possible so I can get more screenshots uploaded.

My completed stations and goods yards will be uploaded onto a new thread as this forum post is just for my initial work-in-progress only, showing you various stages of my early work so far.

My current track building taking place; Network Rail's engineering yard at Whitemoor, March on the site of the former GER marshalling yards. The single track line to the right is the currently closed 7.8 mile branch to my home town of Wisbech, Cambs.

be4a23cc3a6755f209b3f447b1870a18.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Andy.

Last edited:
With no intention to steal the thread and just to illustrate how the geo data approach would work:

Georeferenced track diagram (post #6) on top of the topo map:

Track diagram (post #24) georeferenced with O/S coordinates, some of the white space cut away.

Same track diagram, now on top of the topo map:

Not wanting to divert Andy's thread (clearly he's heard more than enough about DEM recently!) - but I'm interested how these track diagrams were geo-referenced to get them into TransDEM. Its not something I've been able to do. However, perhaps I should take this query into the TransDEM thread.

Paul

*23 September - Latest progress news

(1) Coldham Station. We are about 4 scale miles north from my proposed town of March. In real life until 1966, Coldham station served the small village of Coldham, midway between Wisbech and March on the B1101. As with the real station, my version also has staggered platforms either side of the small level crossing.

(2) Waldersea Drove. A scale mile north from my Coldham station, and in real life a mile north of Coldham, is Waldersea Drove. I have built the small two-road goods yard matching the original signal box track diagram of Waldersea Box. Until 1966, the prototype yard only served the local agricultural area; there was never a station built at Waldersea.

(3) Wisbech Goods Junction and its signal box, both built and positioned into place using the original track diagrams of the real junction from my railway book. The two lines heading away straight are the approaches to my Wisbech Yard, while the curved track leads to my Wisbech station. In real life, the track from the real junction to the station was a tight right-hand curve with a 20mph speed restriction on it.

(4) Wisbech East Goods. The original GER track diagram from my railway book was used to identically match my version of the former yard to the real yard. The real Wisbech East Goods stood adjacent to Coalwharf Road and was in 1847 the first station for Wisbech.

(5) Wisbech East Station. The tram depot at my station has seen extensive re-modelling of its sidings. All trackwork here is copied from the former real station that once stood alongside Victoria Road until it was demolished in 1971. The prototype Wisbech East had three platform faces and a small tram depot, with the outer island platform face used for the former 1883 - 1966 GER Wisbech & Upwell Tramway.

Last edited:
Not wanting to divert Andy's thread (clearly he's heard more than enough about DEM recently!) - but I'm interested how these track diagrams were geo-referenced to get them into TransDEM. Its not something I've been able to do. However, perhaps I should take this query into the TransDEM thread.

Paul
I'm sure Andy has understood that there are other and possibly more efficient methods than his. Since georeferencing track diagrams hasn't much to do with the Wisbech Line, I continue in the TransDEM thread as you suggested: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...nsDEM-2-4-now-available&p=1202648#post1202648

* 26th September - Latest progress report

(1) Six hours spent today in building my version of the 'Middle Level Main Drain' (based upon the real River Great Ouse relief channel near Magdalen, Norfolk) and I have also built this railway bridge which is based upon the former real railway bridge that until 1968 carried the Wisbech Line over the real 'Middle Level' river and also have built one of the embankments carrying the track up to my bridge. Here marks the end of my railway line from my proposed town of March to just beyond my recreation of Middle Drove Station. Currently, the track from this station to this bridge is rusty and closed, pending possible future use if I later decide to extend my line a further two scale miles and also if I later decide to build a recreation of the real Magdalen Road station.

(2) The remains of the real former railway bridge that until 1968 carried the Wisbech Line over the man-made 'Middle Level' relief channel.

(3) Another view of my bridge, this time showing the embankment I have constructed that carries my track slowly up to the bridge itself. The embankment is built at an angle, slowly rising in height at an increment of 0.1 steps from 0.0 to +15.0 degrees above baseboard height. The bridge is also at +15.0 degrees height above baseboard level. Both sides of my river (at high tide) have raised banks just like the real 'Middle Level Main Drain' of which it is based upon. Next job is for me to add landscaping and fencing along my raised river banks.

(4) Whitemoor Yards. This is the only way I can show my large freight and engineering yards copied identically from the prototype Network Rail yards at March, Cambridgeshire. My yard measures approximately 1500+ (Trainz scale) metres in length end to end and took me four days to construct. All of the sidings shown in my overview image are inter-connected by numerous ladder and standard turnouts as per matching all track in the real yard itself. The single track on the far right is the line to my Wisbech Station, whilst to the bottom right of the picture is the beginnings of my 10-road locomotive depot.

Last edited:
Hi Andy

Excellent results and such rapid progress! It would take me months/years to get this far! I shall certainly continue to follow this thread.

Ray

Back