Time to face the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too will join Casper, and wish Ben1227 all the best with his new rail program,

I will offer some advice though, if you can make your rail simulator look like Railworks with the easy to use ability of Trainz, and can be as fast as anything on the poorest of machines, then I believe you will be on a winner.

Also try and make friends on this forum, you may get more help than you expect, the people on here are monsters if you rile them, and rub them up the wrong way, but if you are friendly with them and actually ask them for help, instead of slating Trainz or railworks, then they can be the key to your success, remember the people on here are your future target market.

Once again, good luck with your future simulation, and if you can make a program that looks like Railworks with the functionality of Trainz, then I will definitly purchase your product when it gets released.

Joe Airtime

You do realize there's one in Bohemia,Stony Brook and Levittown right?

And I've seen trainz at Walmart and Best Buy and since I don't go in the game stop (because that's where the little game nerds hang out) I couldn't tell you.

But yes you have an OfficeMax three of them in fact out on Long Island

i thought your location said arizona? your from long island? when was the last time you were here? did you do a search on google maps? I did, and i know that the bohemia one isnt there, and the levittown one isnt there. or it may be called something else. the stony brook one ive never heard of, but thats an easy 45 min. from me. i cant drive that far, too much gas

I can only really comment on only a few versions.

Ben1337, I MAY agree with you somewhat , but you haven't (from what I see) answered if you have TS12 or not, as it doesn't appear in your version line. That's not to say that he doesn't have it, perhaps he has it, and doesn't download anything. Just because a person's profile doesn't show version X, doesn't mean they don't have it, only when they start to use the download station would it be shown in a person's profile.

But from the looks of it, Ben1337 is trying to advertise another simulator, instead of discussing about another simulator.

PS: You do realise that you are upsetting the (cough UR cough UR COUGH) Politically Correct Brigade by saying that the office is not "manned" 24/7!!!

I'm sure Ben's new simulator will be supported 24/7, with a toll free international phone number. I do encourage him to keep going though, many pivotal products came from humble origins, and capitalistic lust is a fine motivator.

back

Yea, I am sorry for my first few posts.

I did skin through all of the posts, this game is going to be an example of what me and my friend would like out of a simulator.

Although I cannot give you any details about the simulator (some very original ideas came to mind while the engine is in development.)

All I hope is that people like the game so that the time and effort that was put into the project would be worth it.

This game will be made free, by people interested in making a better sim then we already have.

Including me, I spend my free time thinking round the clock of new ideas... some maybe possible... There is no point in really questioning the forums (for trainz or railworks), trainz team and what not (some ideas will not fit into some simulators we have today).:)

There is currently two of us in the project. Neither of us can actually code... so really.. the game will only be vaporware if you let it get to the stage.:)

<snip>

There is currently two of us in the project. Neither of us can actually code... so really.. the game will only be vaporware if you let it get to the stage.:)

Ben, I admire your desire to create something new for everyone.

But, as you say, neither you or your friend can not code, so what exactly are you expecting people to do for you?

Regards,

that is true ben. no one will code without being paid. coding is the hardest, most annoying part. also most time consuming.

that is true ben. no one will code without being paid. coding is the hardest, most annoying part. also most time consuming.
Didn't bloodnok code for free before joining AURAN?

You remember vsr don't you?

That's where bloodnok was originally at. And he created ACS AND bluestar. (probably with a TEAM).

Tram_ Also coded, he made the first trainz multi player.

BOAT Created the MOST flexible set of traffic lights trainz has EVER seen (using signals, crossings, static objects).

He also made a set of advanced X junction protector.

Boat made trainz objects work together corporately (work together).

Not to mention that all of these assets are NOT being SOLD!

And what about SCS2006? A LOT of work MUST have gone into that. And Yet, IT'S ON THE DLS! For free...

People who do the work for free are so under-appreciated for the work they put in to make a game GOOD.:D

I salute you creators.

Last edited:
Hay Ben, before you get to far invested in a new game, take a look at Open Rails. I havent messed with it. But from reading its some what open source. Meaning you can look at the engine code and make mods for it. And they will even take help from the community to help improve the game.

Just dont jump on the forums and start pointing out flaws and blaming the wrong people for said flaws. Yea you can point them out, as long as you have a way that it might be fixed.

Hay Ben, before you get to far invested in a new game, take a look at Open Rails. I havent messed with it. But from reading its some what open source. Meaning you can look at the engine code and make mods for it. And they will even take help from the community to help improve the game.

Just dont jump on the forums and start pointing out flaws and blaming the wrong people for said flaws. Yea you can point them out, as long as you have a way that it might be fixed.
I think looking at, would be sort of looking backwards since it's based on MSTS, which isn't really very detailed.

So in that respect, it isn't a good way of "looking forward" would be more like making a simulation like no other.:D

Added: To find out what "a simulation like no other" is, E-mail me at ben2337@gmail.com.

Last edited:
The you do not know how to learn my young friend. You can look forward all you want, but will learn nothing if you do not look back.

Yes its MSTS based, but its an upgraded MSTS. It can handle better models and old MSTS.

"would be sort of looking backwards since it's based on MSTS"

Hee-hee, I gotta agree with that one too - and I'm on the Open Rails development team! :hehe: I've always been cynical about the whole backwards compatibility idea, since making backwards compatibility a priority means dragging all the old bugs and limitations into the new game. I'm the lone voice in the wilderness tho, everyone else is in favor, so I go along with it - all the "NAY"s siddown and shaddup. :p

Current version;

http://www.openrails.org/release.html

Looks and runs better, but still an unfinished product that still needs the end user to own a copy of MSTS. And that's been in development for a couple of years now, so if you're looking to make a new trainsim with all volunteers don't expect anything halfway decent for a long long long time. :wave:

THE FUTURE is coming.

The you do not know how to learn my young friend. You can look forward all you want, but will learn nothing if you do not look back.

Yes its MSTS based, but its an upgraded MSTS. It can handle better models and old MSTS.
Oh and Outerra can handle the whole planet using only 14GB...

Looking backwards can bring up limitations, limitations aren't what we want.

Yes, we learn from the past... Then we need to progress... Using that knowledge.

It's the base of everything that we have today.

If we stop now, then we cannot progress. Which is what OUR game is meant to do, it's meant to modernise EVERYTHING, being simulation into the 2020s.:D

Not to being it back into the 2000s.

Ben, I admire your desire to create something new for everyone.

But, as you say, neither you or your friend can not code, so what exactly are you expecting people to do for you?

Regards,
What are people suppost to do for me? well... use team work (co-operation) to help code a game that we can present to the public as a team which will hopefully make companies catch on, and start building simulations more like ours and bring simulations into the future.

No more half-assed budget simulations which are unrealistic (not talking about trainz here).

Last edited:
No more half-assed budget simulations which are unrealistic (not talking about trainz here).

So a no budget sim?

And whats half arsed about TRS12? Yes I know there are a bugs, but that's to be expected with ANY game no matter how big a team you have working on it.

MSTS had the backing of Microsoft, and you have seen how that worked. Rail works pours hundreds of dollars into their game. (And in my opinion they need to pour more into it. So many more things wrong with RW then TRS.)

Now when I said look back at MSTS with Open rails heres what I meant. Mess around with some thing you know that works. That you have seen work for years. The once you have a good grasp on what your doing start you game.

Back in high school I took some programing class's. Nothing fancy, it was a flash animation/programing class. Just to make a simple little toy in Flash was a bit of tough code.

To quote you "But I'm not using Flash. Im using C++. (Or what ever.)"

Flash is easier then C++. So if if was a little bit of a challenge for me, when I was learning it, then with will be one hell of a learning curve for you.

Here, take this stuff, it will help:

mountaineerpkglg.jpg

I think you clearly don't know what I meant by "half assed low budget" and how come you missed out "(not talking about trainz here)".

If you must know... the sim I was referring to was actually "Bus Simulator 2008" As seen in the Video.

Well... Simulators LIKE it..:)

Last edited:
Didn't bloodnok code for free before joining AURAN?

You remember vsr don't you?

That's where bloodnok was originally at. And he created ACS AND bluestar. (probably with a TEAM).

Tram_ Also coded, he made the first trainz multi player.

BOAT Created the MOST flexible set of traffic lights trainz has EVER seen (using signals, crossings, static objects).

He also made a set of advanced X junction protector.

Boat made trainz objects work together corporately (work together).

Not to mention that all of these assets are NOT being SOLD!

And what about SCS2006? A LOT of work MUST have gone into that. And Yet, IT'S ON THE DLS! For free...

People who do the work for free are so under-appreciated for the work they put in to make a game GOOD.:D

I salute you creators.

And there's a lot of us out here now who wouldn't touch the DLS with a 10 foot pole. So again it appears to me that you're asking someone to do something for free, it's not 1985 any longer its 2011, people have bills and the cost of living is on the rise. I just don't think you're going to find a lot of top-notch coders who are going to work for free.

I could be wrong but I don't think so:hehe:

And there's a lot of us out here now who wouldn't touch the DLS with a 10 foot pole. So again it appears to me that you're asking someone to do something for free, it's not 1985 any longer its 2011, people have bills and the cost of living is on the rise. I just don't think you're going to find a lot of top-notch coders who are going to work for free.

I could be wrong but I don't think so:hehe:
Oh hey again, finished blogging? About how I'm "An idiot brit".

It certainly shows your maturity, doesn't it?;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back