Windows 7 SP1 randomly stops reading external drive on which Trainz is installed

Scottbe8

UMR Pax Sessionz
I'm making (another) new route (that I may or may not complete) and after noticing that the spline direction problem has somehow rectified itself, I decided to electrify the route. So I'm adding the Metro North 3rd rail to all the tracks in the station and yard and I'm about to save, when I hear the Windows sound that indicates a device has been disconnected. Immediately, Trainz encounters a problem and needs to close. I look over and my hard drive is still physically connected. (I hear the "device connected" sound shortly after the crash, and the drive stays connected long enough for TADDaemon.exe to finish what it's doing.) This incident did not trigger an automatic DR upon next launch.

The drive I'm using is an HP 500-GB HDD, P/N = WDBACZ0010BBK-01, and my system is an HP Pavilion dm4t-2100 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC. It's entirely possible that the problem was triggered by the fact that I was balancing my computer on top of a Nintendo DSI to keep the fan elevated for increased cooling efficiency since my external fan died and I'm too lazy to replace it just yet, but I don't want to rule out the possibility that something else may be failing. Any advice?

This is an external drive plugged into a USB port, right?

It sounds like it disconnected on you because the connection is loose. I have had that happen, and usually when I've been ready to save or have done a ton of edits.

John

The WD in the serial number indicates it is a western digital drive. I have had several start this behavior when they are beginning to fail. It will only get worse with time. Best to buy a new drive and transfer the data while you can. Just do small batches of files at a time so you you can redo it if the drive loses the connection while copying. I do one root layer folder at a time unless the folder has lots of sub folders. Then I do the sub folders a few at a time.

William

There was a thread a few weeks back by CaptainKMan that seems to be the same issue. In his case I believe it was TS10.

Can I just state the obvious? Trainz - or any "heavy" program for that matter - should never be installed on an external hard drive. Disconnection, accidental or otherwise, is bound to cause problems. This is especially so with the mini-USB plugs which are prone to breaking the connection when the cable is moved. When Windows plays the "disconnected" sound, it means that irregardless of whether or not the cable is still physically connected, the OS can no longer detect the drive.

In my experience the USB to IDE or Sata interface in the external enclosure often fails, as well as the USB connectors, drives themselves are often OK if put into a PC or a new enclosure. Unless an External drive is USB3 or eSata then it will be far slower than an internal drive anyway.

Back