Windows 10 Upgrade questions.

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
About Win10 upgrading
You can reserve a free upgrade now and then actually make the upgrade a while later. That's easy to answer: as long as you complete the upgrade before the end of July 2016, consumer versions of Win10 are free. After July, you'll have to purchase a Windows 10 license. Some Windows users wonder whether they can acquire Win10 now for free and then start using it after July 2016. Typically, these folks are waiting for third-party software vendors to add Win10 support to their business applications. To delay a formal migration to Win10, the users would back up a Win7/8 machine, download and install the free Win10 upgrade (thus acquiring a new Win10 license), and then roll back to Win7/8. They would then move up to their free Win10 when they like.
That might work; but on older systems, you'll probably need to enter a Win10 license key. You can find it on your new Win10 installation by using a key viewer such as the NirSoft Produkey (site) utility. (Oddly, a Google search of Win10 license keys will turn up lots of sites selling keys — for a currently free product.) Newer systems with Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) and support for Microsoft Data Management will store the Win10 key within the system's firmware. If you restore a Win10 image or do a clean install, the OS will find the license key itself.
In either case, your system must first have had a successful upgrade to Win10. It will then be whitelisted in Microsoft's product-key system as genuine. Currently, if you're asked for a key during a reinstall of Win10, you can use a generic key (Figure 1), as noted on a Reddit page.

Upgrading from 32-bit Windows to 64-bit
Retail editions of Win7, 8, and 8.1 included two media — one for 32-bit systems and another for 64-bit systems. The free Windows 10 will let you upgrade only to the same "bittedness" of the originally installed Windows. In other words, a Win7 x32 system can be upgraded only to Win10 x32. Assuming no one will want to upgrade a 64-bit system to 32 bits, the only way to upgrade from 32 bits to 64 bits is to do a clean install of the original Win7/8, using the media for the 64-bit version, and then upgrade to Win10.

The free Win10 upgrade also doesn't let you upgrade Windows editions. If you have Win7 Starter, Home Basic, or Home Premium installed, you'll get Win10 Home; if you have Win7/8.1 Pro, you'll get Win10 Pro. There's no Win10 Ultimate, so if you have Win7 Ultimate you'll also get Win10 Pro. Some Windows users have lamented the loss of Media Center in Win10. Microsoft's Feature deprecation page notes that some systems will receive the DVD Player app for free from the Windows Store. But you'll also be able to purchase it. There are, of course, many good third-party players available online.
The aforementioned deprecation page lists other features that didn't make the transition to the new OS.

So is the current Windows 10 really free?
Yes, but with some caveats. As has been widely reported, this free edition is available until the end of July 2016. Officially, you'll have to pay for Win10 after that.
But that could change. Apple users have come to expect free OS upgrades. For example, an iPhone can be upgraded for free until the newest OS no longer supports the older hardware. In some cases, you can still get the new OS, but the phone can't use some of the new features. At that point, you usually upgrade to a newer phone because the battery no longer holds a charge — and you're enticed by bigger screens and new capabilities.

Eventually, Microsoft might adopt a similar model; the operating system is merely a platform for revenue-generating services and software. But as a TechNet UK blog notes, the current free version of Win10 doesn't expire — you won't have to pay a fee for the OS in two or three years. However, Microsoft plans to add new features to Win10, and at some point an enhancement might not work on your PC — nor might it even receive future updates.

Many cautious Windows upgraders wish to leave Win7/8 on their PCs and install Win10 on a second drive or partition. Typically, they want to copy or create an image of a Win7 setup, upgrade to Win10, and then restore the original OS on another drive/partition. Sorry, but that's not allowed. As long as Win10 is installed, takes over the original Win7 or Win8 license. For a month after installation, Win10 lets you roll back to Win7 or Win8 — but that process removes the new OS.

As has always been the case for Windows, virtualized copies must have their own licenses, separate from the host system. As noted in that same TechNet UK blog, the Win10 license "allows you to install only one instance of the software for use on one device, whether that device is physical or virtual. If you want to use the software on more than one virtual device, you must obtain a separate license for each instance."

---- Continued ----

Software — including the OS — as a service
The old model of upgrading versions (XP to Vista to Win7 to Win8) appears to be dead. The new model will be confusing for long-term Windows users. It assumes that, for a specific machine, you'll have to pay for Windows only once — when you buy a new PC, purchase a retail version, or sign up for volume licensing. Again, as noted in the UK TechNet blog post, the key features of Windows as a service are:

• "You never need to pay for Windows again on the same machine and you'll always have the latest version.
  • "No more wipe and reload upgrades.
  • "Software vendors and developers can almost guarantee that 90 percent of Windows users will have the same build."
Microsoft assumes that having most Windows users on the same build of the OS will make it easier for third-party publishers to write Win10 software.
Enterprise customers should take note: To upgrade to Win10, you must have an active Software Assurance contract. If you merely bought a Win7 Enterprise license, you aren't eligible for an upgrade to the new OS. Those with a contract will sign in to the MS volume-license center and download the Enterprise edition. You'll also have to maintain a current Software Assurance contract for Win10 feature updates.
Free is never without some cost. It should be no surprise that a free upgrade comes with limitations. Those for Win10 are not overly onerous, but you do need to know what they are before making the move up. Whether you can live with those limitations is entirely up to you. If not, Win7 won't get new enhancements, but MS will issue fixes and security updates until Jan. 14, 2020; Windows 8 will expire in early 2023.

From Windows Secrets Newsletter.

But then I have to give my

credit card details to Microsoft and its $10 a year same as win 8.1.

Mutter mutter

John
The Microsoft version I downloaded is free and no credit card details were required. Perhaps the Windows store is different in Canada?

R3

The Microsoft version I downloaded is free and no credit card details were required. Perhaps the Windows store is different in Canada?

R3

This is correct regarding the Microsoft version. There is an option to buy an upgrade if you want, which of course I never do. :)

This is correct regarding the Microsoft version. There is an option to buy an upgrade if you want, which of course I never do. :)

That's the one with ads? not sure I like having ads with it. There are some clones but nothing that is a reasonable viewing size unless you have a 1024 by 768 screen.

Cheerio John

and of course going to the windows store means my log on account has now been highjacked to become a microsoft email account which needs the password entered everytime I log on. Yes I can create a local account but then I lose all my favourites etc.

mutter mutter

John

There's ways around that if you mean at Windows logon.

The way I usually do it is using a command called control userpasswords2 which can be entered in the Run box or Command Prompt. This brings up a special User Accounts dialog - untick the tickbox at the top and enter your username and password when prompted. Make sure you enter the correct one though as next time you load your computer the account details you enter in this box will be logged on automatically.

For sleep/hibernate mode it's slightly different. You will need to go into Control Panel then Power Options. On the left hand side is an option called 'require password on wake up' - click this then click the link at the top with a shield on if you have User Account Control turned on. This will give you access to the relevant setting below.

Shane

EDIT: You may need to click OK after unticking the box on the first section to get the box that asks for your login details.

Last edited:
There's ways around that if you mean at Windows logon.

The way I usually do it is using a command called control userpasswords2 which can be entered in the Run box or Command Prompt. This brings up a special User Accounts dialog - untick the tickbox at the top and enter your username and password when prompted. Make sure you enter the correct one though as next time you load your computer the account details you enter in this box will be logged on automatically.

For sleep/hibernate mode it's slightly different. You will need to go into Control Panel then Power Options. On the left hand side is an option called 'require password on wake up' - click this then click the link at the top with a shield on if you have User Account Control turned on. This will give you access to the relevant setting below.

Shane

EDIT: You may need to click OK after unticking the box on the first section to get the box that asks for your login details.

Went into user accounts and changed it back to the local login. Sleep was working fine until I downloaded the latest nVidia drivers, now sleep works but I have to power off the machine when it wakes then power it on to get the video card to wake up. No doubt the next nVidia driver will make it all better.

Crossmines looks like it might work.

I must be mad, Win 10and Tane at the same time?

Cheerio John

Back