Whistle

Should be

I'm pretty sure that there is one right-click your driver icon and look there and-or look on DLS or CMP. And look very slowly i know it's boring but you might see something you didn't see before and test out rules that look like what you want but it is'nt.

Last edited:
A guard's whistle or an locomotive whistle? For the loco, you can use Hornz by Smileyman.

A guard's whistle would be good for me too, if anyone knows of any.:cool:

(Hornz is on the DLS, as part of a pack of useful commands)

A guard's whistle or an locomotive whistle? For the loco, you can use Hornz by Smileyman.

A guard's whistle would be good for me too, if anyone knows of any.:cool:

(Hornz is on the DLS, as part of a pack of useful commands)

A guard's whistle please.

My problem with the hornz message is that it is only a short blast. I tried setting up multiples on the track in an attempt to give a long blast, then a couple right after spaced for two short blasts but all I got was a series of short blasts. Not what I was looking for

Don

Hornz

Hi sardon,

your problem with short blasts of the horn is not caused by the Hornz command. Some locos have a very short horn blast and some have a long blast so it depends on the loco you are useing how long the blast will be. If you want a longer blast on a particular loco you like you can always substitute it's horn with the horn from another loco. Just try a light prod on the "H" key when in driver to hear the horn on different locos, you will find that what you get with the "H" key is what you get with the Hornz command.

Cheers,
Bill69

I guess I don't understand what you mean. When I press the H button I get a horn sound but it will blow as long as I hold the key. I get different sound from different locos but the length of the blast depends on how long I hold it. When I listen to a real train approaching a crossing I hear a long blast followed by some short ones and then sometimes a long one again followed by a couple of short ones. That is what I am trying to recreate so that the AI trains will do that. If I am controlling a train manually I can do it myself but I can't seem to set it so that AI will do it. So far, for me, all I can get out of hornz is short quick blasts.

Don

What you get with Hornz (and track-side whistle signs) is the eqivilent of tapping the H key - On some locos, the creator has added a sound that is several seconds long, so this is what you hear when pressing the H key, no matter how long for.

AFAIK, there is no way to get a long-whistle using Hornz if the loco does not have such effect.

I guess I don't understand what you mean. When I press the H button I get a horn sound but it will blow as long as I hold the key. I get different sound from different locos but the length of the blast depends on how long I hold it. When I listen to a real train approaching a crossing I hear a long blast followed by some short ones and then sometimes a long one again followed by a couple of short ones. That is what I am trying to recreate so that the AI trains will do that. If I am controlling a train manually I can do it myself but I can't seem to set it so that AI will do it. So far, for me, all I can get out of hornz is short quick blasts.

Don

What? A long blast followed by some short ones and then sometimes a long one again followed by a couple of short ones??? Where are you seeing trains? When I lived in Arizona about a year ago the trains just did one long blast and if you were on the track and didn't hear that it was curtains.

WileeCoyote

Don
What? A long blast followed by some short ones and then sometimes a long one again followed by a couple of short ones??? Where are you seeing trains? When I lived in Arizona about a year ago the trains just did one long blast and if you were on the track and didn't hear that it was curtains.

WileeCoyote

Still is curtains on the mainline :eek:. I was at a level crossing a few weeks back, and the train crossed at about 110mph - by the time the driver had whistled all that it would be half way to Glasgow :D.

On some heritage railways in Britain though the drivers are mostly just playing trains(z) on a bigger scale though, so tend to get a bit carried away in places, especially near stations.

Still is curtains on the mainline :eek:. I was at a level crossing a few weeks back, and the train crossed at about 110mph - by the time the driver had whistled all that it would be half way to Glasgow :D.

On some heritage railways in Britain though the drivers are mostly just playing trains(z) on a bigger scale though, so tend to get a bit carried away in places, especially near stations.

110mph?! The only things here that go anywhere near as fast are ICE and some old express steam engines (BR01, BR03, BR05, BR10...)

The linespeed on the west coast mainline has been 110mph for almost 30 years - it just got an upgrade so the max speed in some places is now 140mph. We've got smart new pendolino trains (the only trains authorised to do 140 - the rest are only permitted to do 120) built by Bombardier. I think someone is doing a Trainz model - take a look at the "Planned UK Diesel and Electric list" by Hentis.

Note that across level crossings the linespeed is max 110mph (I did some research on them recently), because us Brits aren't as safety conscious as our European cousins and keep walking out into the paths of trains. Still curtains though.

Back to the original thread

The only way I think it can happen is if the sound file is included on the original station config. Maybe something like:

If passengers are loaded (regardless if people vacate platform)
Then play sound (whistle)

The linespeed on the west coast mainline has been 110mph for almost 30 years - it just got an upgrade so the max speed in some places is now 140mph. We've got smart new pendolino trains (the only trains authorised to do 140 - the rest are only permitted to do 120) built by Bombardier. I think someone is doing a Trainz model - take a look at the "Planned UK Diesel and Electric list" by Hentis.

Note that across level crossings the linespeed is max 110mph (I did some research on them recently), because us Brits aren't as safety conscious as our European cousins and keep walking out into the paths of trains. Still curtains though.

1. No Train is Authorised to do 140 MPH in this country until they introduce a form of Automatic Train Protection on the signalling system. Until then, they're limited to 125mph.

2. Intercity 225 sets had the pendolinos pipped by a few years for the ability to run at 140mph.

3. The original plan for the WCML called for an upgrade to 155mph running, straightening the major kinks out of the tracks to save route mileage and ease speed limits as well as a new fleet of trains to handle such speeds.

regards

Harry

After a quick bit of research to cover myself, I think the train protetection system will be upgraded in 2008 - but only on the major routes (WCML,ECML, Paddington-Bristol) with the rest of the network following in later years.

140mph - 2008?

Plus the Pendolinos have traction motors on each vehicle (good for Shap), so they can accelerate and outrun a 225 uphill.

Back on topic - how many people use the "play sound" rule and driver commands? It just occurred to me, but not before as I don't use them.

Plus the Pendolinos have traction motors on each vehicle (good for Shap), so they can accelerate and outrun a 225 uphill.

Depends on the total installed horsepower. 6,300 horses for the 91s. 6,800 horses for the Pendolinos. Over nine coaches, that doesn't buy you much. Then again, take out the loco and the DVT and spread the weight around a bit and it buys you a little more than just 500 extra horses...

given that there are 12 motors developing 570 horses each means that the horsepower per driving axle is lower than a 91 leading to improved acceleration in difficult rail conditions.

regards

Harry

Getting back to hornz

To get a loco to sound the horn/whistle when leaving a station use the hornz command. I.e. Drive to stationxx, load, hornz, drive via xx.
the commands in that order will make the loco sound the horn/whistle just before it starts to move. LONG HORNS:- try the horn on any of the mountain class 4-8-2 locos. Search the DLS for user euphod - 7592 You can change the horn on a loco simply by changing the horn kuid in the config file. It needs changing in two places, the horn tag and the kuid table. Take a backup of the config file before you start, call it say configbak.txt, then do the changes, save the config.txt file, delete the dispatcher chump file and reload trainz
In TRS2006 just edit the config.txt file in CMP then re-commit.

Hope this makes some sense.
Cheers,
Bill69

In the US, when a train is approaching a crossing, the horn is blown for 2 long blasts, followed by a short blast, then followed by a long blast that is sustained until the train is thru the crossing.

Where do you see trains? In Arizona they just whistle once, in Germany they sometimes whistle (on ungaurded crossings mainly) and in Britain they give 1 long blast followed by 2 short ones?!?!?!? This planet can drive one nuts merely over trains whistling before crossings!:D

WileeCoyote

Last edited:
Back