Whistle too quiet

screecher

So basically, I decided to make a 2467 whistle for trainz, but when I always try and test it out, the whistle sounds very quiet, quieter than the normal whistles on other locos. I tried amplifying the audios in Audacity, but it doesn't make that huge of a difference. If I amplify to much, it will sound weird, with crackling noises. So, how can I try to make the whistle louder?

Even though I didn't do any sound things, I rember having to read, that in tracksound kind there are two tags for config with min-distance (zero until that 100% sound) and max-distance (from that sound is quite). So for vehicle sound may exist such tags too? Or is it the same kind? Dont't know yet at the fast.

And some years ago I learned in a project with students from them, that loudness and the peaks of a soundfile are not the same.
So if a sound file is first generated and there is a high peak, there will be some what normaöised or so. So this maximum is yield as 0dB and all other sound will be ajusted to the difference of the maximum possible dB and 0 db. So the whole soundfile is set to quiter, even if there is only one high peak. And that may unfortunately stay in the data even if they will be cutted. The finer differences got lost in the quiter parts. So it sounds not good only to make it louder. Than the lack of intermediate tones will be more hearable. And unfortunately it is not realy possible to generate the lacking intermediate tones.
If this is the reason, you may need another soundfile from the same sound without the peaks.

Hello @screecher!
I thought I would offer some tips for your whistle making.
I have created several horns the are available on the DLS and there are a few things to know:

1. Depending on what equipment you use to record sound, just amplifying the sound will raise the treble too much. I use my camera and lift audio from video I have captured. The sound is really flat and lacks bass unedited, but to fix it I open the “Bass and Treble” menu, and bring down the treble and bump the bass up. I also amplify the audio a little bit too. If there is too much treble, that crackling will be loud. Everything that @ek.skirl said will cover that too.

2. Unfortunately @ek.skirl, I don’t know if you can add a min/max-distance tag to horn configs as I have never tried. I believe that the distance control is automatic since horn assets are made in mono rather than stereo. Trainz might control the volume based on that?
Here is a sample config from one of my horns. Customizable tags are restricted to the usual “kind” category-class” etc. The most important one is “two-part,” which controls whether to play start and/or end clips.
kind "hornsound"
trainz-build 5
category-class "ZH"
two-part 2
username "2467 Whistle"
description "Whatever you like."

thumbnails
{
{
image "thumbnail.jpg"
width 240
height 180
}
}
kuid <kuid:xxxxxx:xxxxxx>

kuid-table
{

}

Just thought I would offer my advice. If there is anything incorrect, hopefully someone with more knowledge will correct me. Hope this helps!

Back