Which Trainz version should I buy?

phadis

Hi.

Just started building some lines with my old Trainz version after many years on the shelf and I got hooked in an instant. :D

Anyways, I'm missing out on some great addons in DLS, so I want to buy a newer version of Trainz. So which should I choose with compatility in mind?

How does the MP work in Trainz 12?

-Thanks!

pick anyone it doesnt matter

and for MP in ts 12 i would presume that would be done by account login then theres 1000's of game servers

Essentially, you'll have to choose between compatibility and multiplayer, although if you learn to fix assets yourself, then you won't need the compatibility mode TS2010 offers. That said, I usually recommend TS2010 only because, between the price and the amount of content you get, it's a better deal. Although, if you calculate the amount of entertainment you get per dollar per hour, you could buy TS2010, TS12, and all the Auran DLC together five times over and it's still cheaper than one movie ticket.

Essentially, you'll have to choose between compatibility and multiplayer, although if you learn to fix assets yourself, then you won't need the compatibility mode TS2010 offers. That said, I usually recommend TS2010 only because, between the price and the amount of content you get, it's a better deal. Although, if you calculate the amount of entertainment you get per dollar per hour, you could buy TS2010, TS12, and all the Auran DLC together five times over and it's still cheaper than one movie ticket.
Don't forget Trainz 09 for a whooping 14,99€ on steam. If that's good for compatibility I think I just buy it?

What du you mean by "fix assets yourself"?

Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
I ordered TS10 because I don't want to go beyond SP 44088, as I want compatablty mode (being able to use older trainz versions assets).

TS12 does look very inticing though !

I plan to install TS10 on an external Hard Drive.

And re-install TRS2006 on another external Hard Drive.

This will enable portability of Trainz, where ever I go.

We'll see ... if it lags

Last edited:
Don't forget Trainz 09 for a whooping 14,99€ on steam. If that's good for compatibility I think I just buy it?

I would not go with 2009. To be simple, 2009 is the light version of 2010.2010 have many new routes which 2009 does not have. Buying from N3V (Auran) is better because The Steam version with their patches gives some headache. "012 is the best version up to now...having 2010 and 2012 is a great experience !
Rail4Pete

Last edited:

<snip>

Purchasing Trainz from Steam is discouraged by a number of people on these forums, because the Steam versions of Trainz can not be patched with the patches released by N3V but instead with patches intended for the Steam versions, which may not be released as soon as the N3V patches are released. Also, I believe the DLC available from the Auran Shop will not work with the Steam versions of Trainz.

Regards,

Zachary.

Last edited:

First, DO NOT buy anything on Steam. Aside from the awful DRM, games included Trainz are not well-supported. Steam requires a lot of add-in code (for the DRM) and it's just not worth it. Same for a few other places.

Just buy it from Auran, then you'll get the real game, fully patchable. Last I checked it was the same price but even for $5 or $10 it's more than worth it.

Fixing assets means adhering to the tighter checking standards TS09 and up require. Older assets were often inefficiently-written. To give you an example, older versions didn't name the specific starting place of an asset (mesh) and allowed the program to "figure it out." Well, "figuring it out", especially when that requires a disk search for a missing item, imposes and enormous performance penalty. So requirements were ratcheted up. A lot. The good news is about 75% of those are fixable with a small change to the configuration file (which requires no special tools besides what's installed on your computer by default) and nearly all of the remaining 25% can be fixed with various tricks, free tools provided by PEV and others, and so on.

Common causes of "breakages" are dumb things like the creator misspelled something in the configuration file, or put it in the wrong area. But even major stuff can usually be fixed in a few seconds or a minute once you know a little bit about your way around. There's a thread in the TS2010 forum by gisa about a listing of errors and how to fix them. Pretty much every conceivable error and fix is covered there.

FYI, I think TS2010 is also about the same price as TS2009 so you may as well get a better version!

Thanks for the heads up about Steam and explaining about compatibility issues guys! Really appreciated.

I think I'm going for TS2010:EE then.

Back