Which PC remote desktop software works best for Trainz?

JonMyrlennBailey

I want to control my gaming PC (running Trainz) in my bedroom from the PC in my living room via the free Wi-Fi connectivity I will be getting at my new apartment in central Iowa this coming December.

Will AnyViewer work well for Trainz? My main concern is picture clarity and latency.

Hi Jon,

I use the built-in Remote Desktop. It works pretty well for me when I run Trainz via my laptop in the living room downstairs while it's running on my desktop upstairs.

Hi Jon,

I use the built-in Remote Desktop. It works pretty well for me when I run Trainz via my laptop in the living room downstairs while it's running on my desktop upstairs.

Thank you, John. When I finally get settled into my new Iowa home, I will try the Microsoft built-in Remote Desktop first to give it a whirl. I will use the home-built Windows 7 PC in the living room to control the home-built Windows 10 "gaming" PC in the master bedroom with Trainz, especially T:ANE SP4, installed.

That sounds great.

Make sure, this is something I forgot to mention, you need to have Windows Professional versions of both in order for the remote desktop to work. There are alternatives unfortunately that aren't free but are less expensive than the pro versions of Windows unless you already have them.

Works best? Don't know.
But my homenet works well for me with teamviewer and the grafphics is good in my eyes.
Additional:
  • Teamviewer is free of charge for private use
  • Possibillity to lock the computer, while trainz is running on
  • Reconnect any time you want
  • The sound works too well
  • Works without monitors on
  • Withe a teamviewer login it is verey comfortable to connect
Additional with my FritzBox and wake on lan I'm able to start the system remotely and then connect via temaviewer.

The following I didn't test yet: Using per VPN to my homenet from outside. With a good internet connection it seems to me possible and useful.

I used to use Teamviewer for tech support within the company I worked for. This was helpful for the remote users in particular. With my Windows Pro machines, I don't need to use that but your features are very similar. The one issue I have is the mouse going nutty if I attempt to rotate objects or the camera view in a locomotive. Other than that, everything else works fine including the audio.

I have found Microsoft remote desktop to be sub-optimal when streaming games from one computer to another.

If you use the Steam version of Trainz, you can use Steam remote play, but it is a bit flaky at times.

My solution is to use Sunshine (https://github.com/LizardByte/Sunshine) which is a is a self-hosted game stream host for Moonlight. Install that on the computer where Trainz is installed. On your client computer, install Moonlight https://moonlight-stream.org/ .

Once you set it up, it works very well.

If you have no luck with Sunshine / Moonlight, Reemo - https://reemo.io/ - it works very well too.

Back