Where to contact Moderators?

SAUBER_KH7

Bullet Stream Liner
Hello all,

I recently submitted a suggestion in the suggestions section of the Forum and it seems to have been deleted. Please note I'm not trying to debate about the reason here, nor go into detail on what it was about. Rather, I just want to know who I can contact privately to inquire why the suggestion was deleted, since I could not find a staff list like I can in other Forums. So I thought I would ask here.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I recently submitted a suggestion in the suggestions section of the Forum and it seems to have been deleted. Please note I'm not trying to debate about the reason here, nor go into detail on what it was about. Rather, I just want to know who I can contact privately to inquire why the suggestion was deleted, since I could not find a staff list like I can in other Forums. So I thought I would ask here.

Thank you.
Suggestions are held for review prior to being released for view and comments. Your comment is most likely on the list with many, many other comments awaiting release.

Suggestions are held for review prior to being released for view and comments. Your comment is most likely on the list with many, many other comments awaiting release.
No, last night when I submitted the thread, it did indeed say it was pending. It continued to say so when I refreshed the page until signing off for the night. But now as I view it today, it says the following:

"Oops! We ran into some problems. The requested thread could not be found."

Is that normal?

No, last night when I submitted it did indeed say it was pending. But now as I view it this afternoon, it says:

"Oops! We ran into some problems. The requested thread could not be found."

Is that normal?
I'm not sure about the new forums but in the old ones the messages would just disappear after the message about posts needing to be moderated.

The new forum is a bit different in how it displays the messages (quicker actually). Your browser refreshed with the forum update and any message you saw previously disappeared, meaning it's been moved to the queue and can't be found.

Use the Report link to send a message to the mods.
See the last post in this thread to see why suggestions do not appear.
Ultimately, it is a mod or sometimes a N3V staff member that makes the call. Best not to question their decisions or at least if you do, be polite and accept whatever they say and move on.
That's very interesting. I did not know that's how suggestions were handled here. That link definitely helped in clearing things up. As long as it has been read by the staff, then that's good enough for me.:D

You see, I was a Suggestion Moderator for the game War Thunder for almost 6 years and their format then was very different - you would submit a suggestion in accordance with the guidelines, then it would be approved for discussion where it would be discussed for a time and if it was popular enough, it would then be locked and documented, and/or passed to the development team. So the possibility of the discussion process being skipped over (which at times were a mess to moderate back then:cautious:), and straight up read by the Dev team is actually most welcome.

Currently the forum has 2 active moderators (PerRock and me). On paper there are more (mostly language forums related), but some are MIA. All moderators are volunteers. As in "we do not get paid for the sometimes crappy job we get to do".
Next to that (or on top of that) there is of course Zec, but he is administrator and employee of N3V.

Technically you can contact us as we are also members of the community so you could start a "conversation" with us (click on the little envelope in the top right corner).
The CoC rule 19 effectively gives us the option to totally ignore any discussion (or "conversation") about our decisions and even gives us the option to throw infractions your way.

All though some people disagree, we moderators are all humans, which means we are able to make mistakes. The good news for you is that when we make the mistake of deleting something, it is actually only not visible for you anymore and all forum staff members can un-delete it. It would not be the first time I deleted something only to make it show up again a few minutes or a day later; usually because there is a link in the post and I think its SPAM. But also the other way around happens; approving something only to discover later someone post the exact same thing a few times already (or someone found a new way to include spam).

As I just finished going over 2600 posts that were never deleted or approved (or even in many cases unapproved instead of deleted), dating from 2008 all the way to earlier this week, I have no doubt I might have made a mistake or two.

In your case:

You can blame me for deleting it.
Everyone can blame me for everything that is wrong in the world (and you would be surprised what idiotic things I have been blamed of), but in this case I actually did it.

Let me continue writing a big wall of text, that way it is more likely to be taken out of context and some people will blame me of more stuff, but in this case I am doing it with the intention to clarify stuff ;).

I think you were one of the 50+ topics suggesting to restore "Paint Shed" in one way or another and/or "make it easy to reskin stuff" in some way.

N3V rarely makes content. I think they (or Auran even) did in the very early stages (around the time of Paint Shed) make some stuff, but nowadays it is extremely rare and usually only technical. All content is made by various brilliant (and sometimes less brilliant) people, most of them freely uploading it to the DLS for everyone to enjoy it. They all use various techniques and creation software and usually only following their own standards, and on top of that they are created for various versions of Trainz (2004 standards up to now). As a result, creating a generic piece of software that makes reskinning easy is extremely hard if not impossible to do.
In short:
That is very unlikely to happen.
Loads of topics about the same or similar stuff were deleted or locked before someone decided it was a smart idea to make me moderator, so I simply followed that line of reactions and deleted it.

Now here comes the funny thing:
Because I can not really delete things, the things I delete only acts like they are deleted for you. All N3V staff can still read it (and I am sure at least Zec will). The main thing is you all don't get to have the 50+th discussion about Paint Shed.

So if your idea was indeed brilliant or really stupid or it has been suggested many times before, it will likely stay "deleted". But if Zec things "silly moderator, of course we need to have a discussion about this" because he thinks it is indeed different, it might just show up again one of these days.

Right.
I think with that I have used up all the energy I had to discuss moderator discissions for the next month or so, so please don't be surprised if the next discussion will simply be ignored, locked, deleted or, if it is really bad, slapped with a "CoC rule 19". But you got your explanation.

Have a great weekend all! :)

@oknotsen, I don't blame you at all! :D

It's just that I come from a different "Forum Culture" if you will, where you have to format a suggestion which will be discussed by others, and where you should address any possible concerns. I am glad to know that's not the case here as sometimes a good suggestion can be shot down by one or more negative comments.

And who knows, if it's not made here, maybe someday someone or some company will create a "next gen" paint tool that can work with most if not all games and texture formats, and is more streamlined and user friendly for the 21st century. But alas, thank you for your well detailed explanation. Very much appreciated.

All I can say is "Praise the Moderators" for that
(My opinion, others may disagree, batteries not included, use at your own discretion)
Could you give a bit more context, please? Do you mean to use paint shed at your discretion, Photoshop, posting suggestions, or something else? Sorry, but I did not quite understand that comment.

Sorry, but I was being a bit satirical or "tongue in cheek".

I used the original Paint Shed when it came with Trainz many, many years ago and found it far too limited even in that era so I would not look forward to seeing "50+" discussions about Paint Shed.

All my reskinnng or original paint work is done with GIMP. It took a long learning curve, for both the reskinning process and mastering the software like all software packages these days, but the end result is far better than what I was achieving with Paint Shop. In my opinion at least

Sorry, but I was being a bit satirical or "tongue in cheek".

I used the original Paint Shed when it came with Trainz many, many years ago and found it far too limited even in that era so I would not look forward to seeing "50+" discussions about Paint Shed.

All my reskinnng or original paint work is done with GIMP. It took a long learning curve, for both the reskinning process and mastering the software like all software packages these days, but the end result is far better than what I was achieving with Paint Shop. In my opinion at least
Ah, now I understand. I use PaintDotNet for my reskins, although I personally find older trains (TS12 and earlier) to be easier to reskin at times as those tend to be more "smooth" in texture. At any rate, my suggestion was actually for a Forza Horizon 5 style paint system (You can search it on YouTube if you like), where you can edit content ingame quickly and while some might disagree, I find their system easier than traditional reskinning. Mentioning Paint Shed in the OP was just an example of a program specifically designed for reskinning trains and vehicles in general, and perhaps calling it by a similar name. But I digress.

Ah, now I understand. I use PaintDotNet for my reskins, although I personally find older trains (TS12 and earlier) to be easier to reskin at times as those tend to be more "smooth" in texture. At any rate, my suggestion was actually for a Forza Horizon 5 style paint system (You can search it on YouTube if you like), where you can edit content ingame quickly and while some might disagree, I find their system easier than traditional reskinning. Mentioning Paint Shed in the OP was just an example of a program specifically designed for reskinning trains and vehicles in general, and perhaps calling it by a similar name. But I digress.
I know what you mean but that would be very limiting in what we can do. We would be restricted to shapes such as circles and swashes unless we can also insert actual logos and names.

I know what you mean but that would be very limiting in what we can do. We would be restricted to shapes such as circles and swashes unless we can also insert actual logos and names.
It would seem limiting at first, but it would not fully replace Photoshop or other apps. It would be more of a compliment as one could import actual logos and names as you highlighted.

Back