What railway companies are your favourite?-For All Rail Fans(LARGE IMAGES POSSIBLE)

SuperSpeedMaglev

Wonderfully Old Fashioned
Originally this was going to be steam only, but I decided to expand for you diesel and electric lovers, or anyone else.. ;)
My favourite company's are...
  • GWR-More than usual, discovering quite some days back they used to serve my station, plus in my opinion, they have the most 'British' look to their locomotives
  • LMS/MR-Romantic and just glamour on the rails, the LMS Duchess giving off the illusion, but let's not forget the other locomotives, such as the delightful Midland Spinner
  • LNER-The Scot, The Mallard, hence we forget the Peppercorn A1/A2?
  • SR-To be honest, the unrebuilt pacific's look huge and impressive, plus boat trains catch my eye as I'm also a ocean liner lover..
  • British Railways-Aaah, the 9F and The Britannia class doth catch my eye, not really a fan of ex-Big Four engines in their livery though.. :hehe:
  • tumblr_mnjytgVUtE1rxjbj9o1_1280.jpg
    fefea5e067ad2ab86125ae22a75fb524.jpg
    -Funny story, I found out due to a derailment that was claimed to been caused by poor visibility due to the handrails, most 7MT'S lost the handrails and were, as seen here, given hand hold(Whatever you call em.. :hehe:) holes to hold onto instead, should it be needed. These came in various forms, such as circular holes for example... though until now I'd only seen the square ones.. :hehe:

I won't lie, I've labelled my Top 5/6 here.. but dosen't mean you have to.. ;) Nor do you have to give an essay of a answer.. :D

Last edited:
my favorites are the new York central (because, C'mon, it's my home road) and the UP because their just the best.

Mine are the BNSF, because of there colorful paint scheme's, and the EJ&E because I grew up hearing them going by and pestering my day to go chase them, and the fact that they keept there original round house and engine/repair shops standing and working until CN bought there for noting and paved over the area with the worlds smallest intermodal yard.

DSC_0499.jpg
DSC_2035.jpg

045.jpg
038.jpg

Primarily, freight from my youth, in my local area.
Western Pacific

wp2008.jpg

and Southern Pacific.

1978_08_01_004_San_Jose_CA_SP_freight_GP9_3769_lea  ds.JPG

Both swallowed up by Union Pacific, which is a lot of bananas.

Secondary, commuter that runs from SF to SJ, originally Southern Pacific, these are called "huff" & "puff":

9869.1380985039.jpg

now Caltrain.

1900713771_14df3dbdb4_b.jpg

Paul

Last edited:
More historically a list but the following...
Glasgow & South Western
North British
Caledonian
Great North of Scotland
Highland

Oh and across the sea the former companies in Ulster and today the NIR.

Back