What is the proper way to make a tutorial available?

ModelerMJ

RubyTMIX, Basemapz
Hi all,

I've been asked to create a tutorial and am looking for some pointers as to the proper way to get it to the interested parties here in the Trainz-forum world.

I write technical materials for a living, and would normally approach a task of this kind by developing the document in MS-Word and then making it available as a PDF. So my main question here is, once I have a PDF that I want to share, how do I go about doing so? Is there a way I can attach it to a post, or do I have to get it hosted somewhere and link to it?

I reailze this is probably a very noobish question, but I've only been here a few months and so will appreciate your patience as I try to learn the ropes.

Thanks in advance,
-Mike

If your tutorial is of significant interest to the general trainz community you should put it on to the TrainzDev_Wiki.

Otherwise you need someone to host the pdf so you can provide internet links to it.

Hi all,

I've been asked to create a tutorial and am looking for some pointers as to the proper way to get it to the interested parties here in the Trainz-forum world.

I write technical materials for a living, and would normally approach a task of this kind by developing the document in MS-Word and then making it available as a PDF. So my main question here is, once I have a PDF that I want to share, how do I go about doing so? Is there a way I can attach it to a post, or do I have to get it hosted somewhere and link to it?

I reailze this is probably a very noobish question, but I've only been here a few months and so will appreciate your patience as I try to learn the ropes.

Thanks in advance,
-Mike

I'd suggest using either the Trainz devwiki or the wikibook http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz The problem with using .pdfs is keeping them up to date, finding them and also hosting them. At least put a reference to them in the two wikis.

Thanks John

Personally I would be inclined to go with a solution where everything will be in the same place - the PDF tutorial, the TransDEM color map, and the CDP containing the 140 textures.

I understand the usefulness of the wiki, but quite frankly the MS-Word/PDF route will be much easier for me. If someone else then wants to translate that to the wiki I will have no problem with that at all.

Thanks very much to mrscsi and jrfolco for the hosting offers. If you don't mind, I may get in touch with Dr. Ziegler first, and see if he is interested in reviewing the tutorial and/or hosting the files; if not, then it's good to know I have nice people like you who are willing to help me out with this.

Regards,
-Mike

Why not just.... when your done with the tut.... start a new thread with the info and ask that it be made a........... sticky.

That would make it available to everyone on the Forums.

Just a suggestion.

Regards,

Why not just.... when your done with the tut.... start a new thread with the info and ask that it be made a........... sticky.

That would make it available to everyone on the Forums.

Just a suggestion.

Regards,

Probably because if you search for tutorial in the subject you get 200 plus tutorial threads.

This link is useful

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Tutorials_for_Content_Creation

This thread is the most useful one I know.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=3345&highlight=tutorials

Where would you sticky it? General trainz or content creation support, there are no stickies in that part of the forum other than the N3V one.

Cheerio John

Personally I would be inclined to go with a solution where everything will be in the same place - the PDF tutorial, the TransDEM color map, and the CDP containing the 140 textures.

I understand the usefulness of the wiki, but quite frankly the MS-Word/PDF route will be much easier for me. If someone else then wants to translate that to the wiki I will have no problem with that at all.

Thanks very much to mrscsi and jrfolco for the hosting offers. If you don't mind, I may get in touch with Dr. Ziegler first, and see if he is interested in reviewing the tutorial and/or hosting the files; if not, then it's good to know I have nice people like you who are willing to help me out with this.

Regards,
-Mike

I think Roland should be able to hook you up and that will be the best place for it. Roland should be able to handle all the files in one spot and that's really the way it should be.

Back