VE76 unable to load mesh file.......Frustrated

Halfwolf

Hi all, I'm trying and failing to create assets, I think I'm slowly working it out but now I have this message, VE76 unable to read mesh file. below is the config text. I've tried removing underscore, tried adding .im to the end of the mesh names etc. Any help appreciated. Thanks Graham
kuid <kuid:1052954:100087>
username "East Street Nameboard"
kind "scenery"
trainz-build "5.1"
category-class "BR"
category-era "1920s;30s;40s;50s"
category-region "UK"
description "East St Nameboard"
author "Halfwolf"
license "This asset is for the Trainz Community. The Trainz Community can create other variations of this asset to be used within Trainz if I get credit."
mesh-table-lod-transition-distances 1,5,10,30,50,100,1000

mesh-table
{
lod0n
{
mesh "ESTNBlod0n.trainzmesh.im"
auto-create 1
lod-level 0
mesh-season 0
}
lod1n
{
mesh "ESTNBlod1n.trainzmesh.im"
auto-create 1
lod-level 1
mesh-season 0
}
lod2n
{
mesh "ESTNBlod2n.trainzmesh.im"
auto-create 1
lod-level 2
mesh-season 0
}
lod3n
{
mesh "ESTNBlod3n.trainzmesh.im"
auto-create 1
lod-level 3
mesh-season 0
}
lod4n
{
mesh "ESTNBlod4n.trainzmesh.im"
auto-create 1
lod-level 4
mesh-season 0
}
lod5n
{
mesh "ESTNBlod5n.trainzmesh.im"
auto-create 1
lod-level 5
mesh-season 0
}
}

thumbnails
{
{
image "E_ST_NBthumbnail.png"
width 240
height 180
}
}

kuid-table
{
}

Definitely not a good idea to have .trainzmesh.im as the mesh file extension. If your meshes are created as FBX files, just put them in the asset folder and ensure your mesh-table only refers to .trainzmesh files. On submission, it will "eat' the FBX files and convert them into .trainzmesh files automatically, so the config should be written as if the .trainzmesh files already exist.

e.g. If the lod0n mesh is ESTNBlod0n.fbx then its corresponding mesh tag in config.txt would be ESTNBlod0n.trainzmesh

Other side comments on the config;

Trainz-build should be a number like 5.1, not a string like "5.1".

The category-era tag expects eras to be in a form like 1920s, not 20s. This is unlikely to be the cause of your VE76 errors, but you should have all tags conform to the right syntax.

If you are not using a season-selector container in config.txt, you don't need to have season tags in the mesh-table. They are redundant.

And just a comment on the lod transition distances. I don't know how highly detailed your nameboard is, but it's hard to imagine that a transition at just 1 metre is warranted since it's hard to even get the camera up that close. Even the transitions at 5m and 10m seem awfully close to the object. But as I said, I don't know anything about how your mesh behaves. Just be aware that bunching lots of transitions close together increases the computing cost since it will be constantly flicking between levels as the camera moves. Feel free to ignore my speculations.

Last edited:
Back