upgrading my XP PC

Zeldaboy14

Owner of ZPW.
So, I've been doing some research into upgrading the Hard drive in my old XP PC from (I believe) IDE to SATA using a special convertor, and upgrading one of the CD rom only drives to a DVD drive using another converter. Would this be a good thing to do?

So, I've been doing some research into upgrading the Hard drive in my old XP PC from (I believe) IDE to SATA using a special convertor, and upgrading one of the CD rom only drives to a DVD drive using another converter. Would this be a good thing to do?

Not really, you wouldn't gain any performance in any respect really. If anything a SATA HDD will be limited to IDE bandwidth anyway, negating any benefits.

Why on earth would you want to prolong an XP era computer regardless?

If you are looking to keep an old pc around, I would suggest windows 7 or 8. Both support every game I have played from the xp era, even those that require the disks. Windows ten eliminated the feature to play games that required the cd in. Most of my old games even run on ten still though

I would definitely suggest moving up to at least Windows 7, especially if the machine is going to be connected to the internet. Win 7 will be getting security updates until 2020, at least for now. A lot of older games run fine on it, unless they are really old, but for that you can install a machine.

I have a Windows 95/98 era game running in DOSBox on this machine. I am not going to upgrade to Windows 10 on it, I'm getting a new computer in a month or two, so that win will have 10 on it while I keep 7 on this one.

I've got a vista Laptop, and a 10 tower PC. Both I use daily. The XP PC is for limited browsing, and old games that don't work on 10.

Back