Upgrading from TRS 2006 to 2009

sirrliv

Dear TRS community,

OK, here's my deal in simplest terms: I've had TRS 2006 for about 3 years now, and have been playing it quite happily. Recently, I acquired a copy of TRS 2009. But I've been hesitant to install '09 for fear that I might lose 3-odd years worth of content that I've amassed over this time, a very onorous prospect for me, as I'm sure all of you can understand.

My question is: Is there any function or program or something of that nature included with TRS 2009 that will allow me to easily import all of my content in from '06?

Thanks infinitely for your help.

After installing and letting it build the database (assuming TS2009 does that) then start Content Manager, go through the usual register junk, and then do File|Import Content... point it at your TS2006 Local folder, and then get a book to read 'cause chances are that'll take a long time. (Some people recommend doing it multiple times, saying it apparently missed some stuff the first time around.) You'll want to keep an eye on it though 'cause it may pop up boxes asking what to do in certain situations. (Say when the item it's trying to install is already installed.)

I haven't actually used that feature of TS2010 for that purpose, but I did use it to import a whole bunch of stuff I'd downloaded while waiting for TS2010 to arrive, some of which was not in .cdp files. :)

Aah, I see! Thank you so much, mate! That's a great help, and a great load off my mind. Now I have no further excuse to delay, and will likely install TRS '09 at once! Then, once everything's been imported, I guess I'll have no further need for TRS '06.

As for TRS 2010, it may surprise many here to hear that personally, I have no interest in 2010 whatsoever. Aside from the new Speedtree feature, I have yet to hear about any way that it's a notable improvement from '09. Then again, maybe I just haven't yet done quite enough research...

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.

sirrliv.Suggest you back up your local folder first before doing the exchange. Some funny things can happen on very large imports.
baz

If you have a large local file, I recomend splitting it up into smaller files and yes, re-run the transfer at least twice as the content manager does miss stuff now and again

Also, do a search and get PEV's PM2IM software up and running. You'll probably need it as some content will flag as faulty. PM2IM will be needed to fix quite a few of them.

Dave......

sirrliv

Then again, maybe I just haven't yet done quite enough research...

If you researched the forum you would get a very biased view. People who think that TS2010 is bad make the most noise, the same posters over and over again. Those of us who are very happy with TS2010 tend not to push our viewpoint as much as we should.

TS2010 is excellent, far better than TS2009 which I worked with for almost a year. (If Euphod reads this, I didn't get paid for it as he seems to think)

Peter

TS2010 is excellent, far better than TS2009 which I worked with for almost a year. (If Euphod reads this, I didn't get paid for it as he seems to think) Peter

Now, now...I never stated that you were paid for promoting 2010. Everyone has the right to express their own honest opinion here. A thickening of the skin is advisable, unless you enjoy being the center of attention.

Ed

You are right, I should have realised where it was coming from and ignored it. I forgot the first rule, replying to a Troll only encourages him/her.

Peter

Ed

You are right, I should have realised where it was coming from and ignored it. I forgot the first rule, replying to a Troll only encourages him/her.

Peter

You can consider me a troll if you like, but it appears you were the one fishing for a response. Go in peace, I have no ill will towards you.

Back