Unable to report image on Trainz portal?

This image: https://www.trainzportal.com/mytrainz/view_media_post?media_post_id=231535 has an unauthorised reskin of an old model I made of 'Ivo Hugh', a Thomas & Friends character based on Tom Rolt of the Tallylyn Railway. I did not give permission for this reskin - in fact, this is the first I've seen of it. Whoever has made this model has put him into this green-and-yellow livery, and replaced the face texture with that of a smokebox door.

As this is a violation of the Trainz terms & conditions, I clicked on the 'report' button to report it. However, all that happened was that the web page in the browser turned grey. This occurred with both Firefox and Chrome. Is this functionality broken, or is there something I'm missing?

I would report this issue to the helpdesk. Report that you are unable to report via the report image function and add a link to the image on the Trainz Portal for the helpdesk to contact the user and to remove the asset if he has uploaded it to the DLS.

This image: https://www.trainzportal.com/mytrainz/view_media_post?media_post_id=231535 has an unauthorised reskin of an old model I made of 'Ivo Hugh', a Thomas & Friends character based on Tom Rolt of the Tallylyn Railway. I did not give permission for this reskin - in fact, this is the first I've seen of it. Whoever has made this model has put him into this green-and-yellow livery, and replaced the face texture with that of a smokebox door.

As this is a violation of the Trainz terms & conditions, I clicked on the 'report' button to report it. However, all that happened was that the web page in the browser turned grey. This occurred with both Firefox and Chrome. Is this functionality broken, or is there something I'm missing?

https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/File:Sir_Haydn.cdp

I think you’ll find for most reskinners that usually screenshots of reskins are fine and that usually permission is not required for personal use. Only the release of the actual reskin itself is liable for takedown. (The wiki link in the post above.) Of course they are a minority of creators (like you I assume) who don’t even like screenshots of reskins being shared.

It is only a screenshot from their own collection. It has not been made available as a public downloadable asset which would break the code. On looking for Ivo Hugh there are versions on the DLS from 2012 which state the original creator as Clam1952 with no face and in green.

It is only a screenshot from their own collection. It has not been made available as a public downloadable asset which would break the code. On looking for Ivo Hugh there are versions on the DLS from 2012 which state the original creator as Clam1952 with no face and in green.

Interesting, not seen them!
Considering the original mesh was 2ft Gauge and a freelance loosely based on an 0-6-2 Hunslet, they don't actually have any resemblance to Ivo Hugh or it's Talyllyn original Tom Rolt but as I allowed reskins not a problem, presumably it's got a different bogey.

a reply

Well that stinks, hope the person(s) get banned for violating the trainz TOS.

edit: the issue has yet to be resolved. i used opera GX to report and it tints the screen.

Last edited:
Well that stinks, hope the person(s) get banned for violating the trainz TOS.

edit: the issue has yet to be resolved. i used opera GX to report and it tints the screen.

Making a reskin for an object you use in your own route is an infringement ? even if they post an image, its not a violation as far as I can see, only if they distribute the actual reskin, btw , whose interests are being harmed if one is able to view an image of an asset which has been changed in some way ?

A screenshot of a reskin is not enough to warrant a ban, especially since the original author has not complained. Sharing the model without permission is where the illegalities begin.
To avoid an unnecessary hanging drawing and quartering, it is better to alert the original owner who can then make a report if they wish. How are you to know if permission has been given or not.

The OP was the original creator......

There are other Thomas reskins by the poster of the screenshot on the DLS using non DLS assets by Mstsnoodle and Kevmt, neither of who are active in Trainz and they are very old mostly 1.3 assets and terrible reskins with non DLS missing dependencies. Probably looking at a youngster infected with the TTT obsession.

The screen shot is of kuid:930474:100187 which according to the config was originally by

Code:
author                                  "Mstnoodle"
organisation                            "Sodor Railway Workshops (and other railways)"

Last edited:
So I'm trying to wrap my head around this topic. Someone posts a picture, then someone says copyright. If I take a picture of a copyrighted thing, then modify it, lets's say I draw mustaches on the things, then post it on social media or a forum, I somehow violated a copyright? The things are not being redistributed, and are not available anywhere. Is that not fair use?

Here is my picture. Thomas (I think that's the nameP), and Charlie from Fox13 Tampa, FL. If I were to draw mustaches on both, then repost the picture...

Thomas%20The%20Train%20at%20FRRM.jpg

Well, Charlie already has a mustache

Last edited:
Back