UK and European Model Railways

Thank's Itareus ;) Also thank you Oknotsen & Jay for the wonderful assets that'll come in handy. ;D

Is there a scaled railway track spline? That would be pretty cool if you could build a model railway on a station platform.

Last edited:
Also, wondering if it's ok to upload Model railway video's from Youtube, whether they be from Trainz or not?

I don't make rules matey, but really this thread is about model railways in Trainz so I would suggest you make you own thread in the "Prototype Talk" section.

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:
Been away, hence the delay. The switches are by Ray_Whiley and the controllers are scaled down conversions of a Sketchup model and are not available (not good enough quality to upload).

By a scaled model railway track spline, I imagine you mean one which would represent a model railway in a normal Trainz layout/route rather than using oversized artefacts to make a Trainz route appear as a model railway?

If so, the answer to your question is probably maybe! Way back (and think it was in TRS2004) I had a go at making 1:12 scale buildings (ie. scaled down versions of buildings I had made) with a view to being able to create a model village. At the same time I had a go at some track to the same scale. There seemed to be little interest so I didn't pursue the idea, especially after moving on to TS2010. The track was probably fairly rudimentary but it may still be hanging around somewhere on an old hard drive - the buildings certainly are. I would not like to go smaller than 1:12 scale as things would be difficult to see on eg. a railway platform but if there is any interest I could publish what I have already done and perhaps create a model village myself.

Ray

For more years than I can remember I have wanted to build a route based on a 16ft x 8ft OO track plan by C.J.Freezer. Here it is in TANE !

Without the track plan guide:

CJF%20Plan%202_zps0ykfpukh.jpg~original

With the plan part showing:

CJF%20Plan%201_zpsjg4yjh9k.jpg~original

A lot of work to do yet.

Chris

Quite a task, Chris, and it will be superb when finished. I don't recognise the plan - must be one by CJF which passed me by! I too have a plan of his for a garage which has always tempted me - Nelson from the PSL book of plans, a series of dioramas rather than a continuously scenic route - but the garage was always in use for something else and the cost would have been - well, probably prohibitive! But I may now be tempted to try it as a virtual model railway - when I've finished other things, of course (if ever).

You've probably enlarged it from the original 16 x 8, have you?

Ray

Ray

I found it in a reprinted book "The Railway Modeller Book of Track Plans" which was first printed in 1989 but I'm certain the plan is older than that.

Yes the plan has been enlarged, can't remember the ratio off hand but I think if I had done it 'to scale' it would have appeared too cramped.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I too feel that a layout plan made "to scale" would look cramped although somehow this doesn't seem to be the case with a "physical" layout - perhaps it's just what we get used to.

Ray

Not much activity here for some time! So here are some views of a virtual model railway set in France that I am working on.

From top to bottom:

Aviron
Belleville
Le Chateau des Ducs de Denfert
Corvisart
Denfert

Much more detail to be added!

Ray

Last edited:
This is my current work in progress layout "Tasker Street" which uses adjusted world origin coordinates in TANE to remove the large shadows generated by the walls surrounding the layout :

25971033215_a5a4f5159f_b.jpg

25342314413_6a49afc7d6_b.jpg

25338344634_1a8531a7c3_b.jpg

World origin in the model Trainz route config needs to be altered to :

world-origin
{
latitude 0,0,1
longitude 0,0,1
altitude 0
}

Dave,

Route looks great and thanks for the info on world co-ordinates, I have been puzzling over how to get rid of the shadows for walls.

Chris M

@ Jay1990 : The track is a reskin of my NEX track and hasn't been released yet . The Buffer stop in the screenshot is by user : Dave_Westwood and is called Buffer#2 - 1930s (KUID2:187586:28038:2) . It's on the DLS but I'm sure its built-in in TS12 and TANE .

@Chris : Thanks . I stumbled across it by accident after porting over a Polish route into TANE from TS12 and wondering why the shadows behaved differently when the route time was changed .

These Model Railways are amazing! Would they be playable as multiplayer or downloadable? I have looked for Westworld on DS. It is there but download is v slow even with 1st class ticket.

Last edited:
...Would they be playable as multiplayer or downloadable? I have looked for Westworld on DS. It is there but download is v slow even with 1st class ticket.

I can only say for my own Westwold route that it is downloadable from the DLS and all required assets should be on the DLS so I believe it should be fine for Multiplayer.

As for download speed, make sure you are posting here and also downloading to the account (Username & Password) to which your version of Trainz and your FCT are registered. Download of Westwold should not take long at all, so check the above and also your internet & PC download settings including your anti virus.

Chris

Back