TS2012 Frame-rate

trainman7616

Western Maryland Addict
I want to apologize for this dumb question but what is a good recommended frame rate? I am currently running at 200 fps. I seem to be running faster then at 100 fps, but I would rather have a more seasoned veteran let me know of a good frame rate. Nothing wrong with my pc though

Note that I do not consider myself "seasoned veteran". This is just a "common sense" reply.

Let me quote a piece of text from Wikipedia:
wikipedia said:
In modern action-oriented games where players must visually track animated objects and react quickly, frame rates of between 30 and 60 FPS are considered acceptable by most, though this can vary significantly from game to game. Modern action games, including popular console shooters such as Halo 3, are locked at 30 FPS maximum, while others, such as Unreal Tournament 3, can run well in excess of 100 FPS on sufficient hardware.
So unless you plan to turn this game into a first-person-shooter, in my opinion 30fps is good enough.

It is a train simulator. If you really need that extra 1/100 of a second to save your train from derailing, you apparently were overlooking something for a lot more then 1/30 of a second.

As a nice reference:
The standard for television was 24fps for a long time and nobody had any problems with that.

I get only 6 - 27 FPS in TRS2006 (the trainzoptions file tag: -frameratestoaverage=30 FPS is good enough to not be choppy to the human eye)

When I play GTA: San andreas its running at 160 fps and I have played it for a few years on the same pc, but I keep a watch on the video card and everything. (dont have the money to get a new one if a I have to)

I agree with most of the others that 24 to 30 FPS is perfectly adequate for Trainz (set it as explained by Cascaderailroad). I also find that this also reduces lag (stuttering) and the video card runs cooler.

Scottish

What you see depends on the refresh rate of the monitor. a 60Hz monitor will display up to 60 frames per second as the panel is refreshing 60 times per second. Don't worry about the PC being capable of quite high frame rates, no harm will be done. Of course it's no hassle to check the video card is running at appropriate temperatures to prolong it's lifespan. However for those who prefer as high a refresh rate as they can get, 144Hz monitors do exist. Of course a suitable video card will be needed to sustain the frames per second required.

Last edited:
Back